Quick Question

D Bros.

Quick Question

Post by D Bros. » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:14 pm

Hey, folks. I know I don't post here much, more of a lurker, I guess, picking up useful information. I do need to be more active, I guess.

Anyway, here's my question. A lady I know at a Lab forum I go to has a 7 yr. old Lab, who recently had surgery for laryngeal paralysis. He's recovering fine, but here's the thing. She also has a less than 1 yr. old Lab, who, when playing bitey face with his big brother, tends to go for the fur and skin on his neck. Obviously, this won't do. So, she's looking for any advice she can get on something to put on his neck so his little brother doesn't harm the incision or surgery site. One person suggested snake armor. I told her I'd ask on some of the gundog and hunting forums I go to, and relay any suggestions to her. Thanks in advance.

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: Quick Question

Post by shags » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:45 pm

Something like this? I think similar are available at places like PetSmart

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... swodTKgLJA

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:29 pm

shags wrote:Something like this? I think similar are available at places like PetSmart

Looks like just the thing. Never seen them before.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:50 pm

My older Vizsla just had the same surgery - a laryngeal tie-back they called it. I just crated and rotated until he was completely healed. You don't want the dog to be overheating or expending too much energy (panting), so it's a good idea to limit the interaction with a high energy pup.

jczv

Post by jczv » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:50 am

DonF wrote:
shags wrote:Something like this? I think similar are available at places like PetSmart

Looks like just the thing. Never seen them before.
That may work to serve your purposes but the actual purpose is the same as a cone - it prevents the dog from turning there head to get at an incision etc. not really to prevent another dog from biting the neck. When our dog got spayed a long time ago that's what they used to prevent her from getting to the stitches.

D Bros.

Post by D Bros. » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:58 am

Many thanks for the replies and suggestions, folks. Yes, she is limiting the pup's interaction with his big brother, but wanted something to put on him, just in case. I relayed your suggestions to her, and we'll see how things go​. Again, thank you.