Too early to train on wild bobwhites?

randomnut

Too early to train on wild bobwhites?

Post by randomnut » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:05 am

I live in Arkansas, which closes all hunting areas to training for quail from April 1st to June 1st. I have an area that has quite a few birds, but I'm worried that young birds won't be able to get away from the dogs.

Anybody got any idea?

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Too early to train on wild bobwhites?

Post by Sharon » Sat Jun 24, 2017 3:05 pm

That's interesting. Here there is no wild bird hunting until the end of August, and no rabbit hunting after March. How come they don't protect their breeding time there in Arkansas?

randomnut

Post by randomnut » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:03 pm

Not sure Sharon, that's why I asked. If there is a chance that young birds would be on the ground, I'll wait till later in the year.

I thought they were trying to protect nesting birds by closing it to training in April and May, but on the two areas with decent populations, it's closed from April 1st till September 1st.

tekoa

Post by tekoa » Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:09 pm

I asked AF&G asimilar question a few years ago ( I was mostly concerned about developing habitat for Bobs):

From Arkansas Fish and Game Departments Biologists:

"Quail begin to hatch during June and continue until October. Weedy areas with 30 percent or more bare ground are critical during this time of year. Insects comprise 85 percent of a quail chick's diet and are attracted to weeds, such as ragweed. Bare ground is essential because it allows small chicks to move around and forage under the canopy of weeds. Disking from November through February will stimulate weedy species such as partridge pea and ragweed that create excellent brood-rearing habitat the following spring".

"Arkansas has restrictions on dogs in the field during Early Laying Season (April and May), but not during nesting Season,(June-October). Bobs, depending on weather and hatch success will re-lay as many as three times during the Spring and Summer".

"So recently hatched Bob Whites can be in the field any time during April to October".

"Training dogs after June does not seem to affect the hatch success rates".

bustingcover

Post by bustingcover » Sun Jun 25, 2017 11:41 am

As long as their isn't a pursuit restriction I think you'll be fine. Some states let you train on grounds but you're not allowed to pursue or harass the wildlife.If you don't pressure them too hard or too late in the day the birds will be fine. Give them a chance to covet back up and move on to a different covey. They see more grief from raccoons, raptors, and coyotes than they will from a few dogs.

SetterNut

Post by SetterNut » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:52 pm

I saw my first brood of quail chicks for the season yesterday. They were just big enough to fly about 50 ft.

Dogs have to be run year around, and I am lucky enough to have my own place to run them. But I make a effort to keep the dogs out of the quail areas this time of year.

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:54 am

My question would be (assuming you are legally able to run on those quail), "How old are the dogs you are working with and how far along are they in their training?"
I believe running on young quail with a dog that has found it's legs can be a serious detriment to your progress.

Behiden

Post by Behiden » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:39 am

maybe that's a bit early.. but only a bit of train (i mean, nothing detrimental as it was stated in the post above) then that might be fine, i mean, some kind of 'light' train.