Looking for good Wirehaired Pointing Griffon Breeder

pierce2988

Looking for good Wirehaired Pointing Griffon Breeder

Post by pierce2988 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:09 pm

I am in the early stages of looking for a new hunting partner. My lab is 9 and is I'm retirement. He is great, my best friend but I feel in love with my hunting partners WPG. Do you guys have any suggestions for a good WPG breeder. Location is not an issue.

Thanks,

Pierce

sure as shootin

Re: Looking for good Wirehaired Pointing Griffon Breeder

Post by sure as shootin » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:28 am

I got my griff from Steve Brodeur out of Quebec. The kennel name is Elevage Duchasseur. (just Google it). He's been breeding for 30 years or so and has 9-10 North American breeding awards to his credit.

Cactus

Post by Cactus » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:29 am

My advise would be to take your time, do some research, and find a good breeder. A good start would be AWPGA. There's quite a few really good WPG breeders out there, and I'm sure there's some other that aren't so good.

Vernal Pike

Post by Vernal Pike » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:17 pm

mtlhdr

Post by mtlhdr » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:25 am

Poke around the http://www.versatiledogs.com forum if you haven't already. There are dozens of WPG threads and a few breeders there as well.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:07 am

Only guy I know with them is on ifish. Ask for DogZilla15. I don't think he raise's them but he probably knows where to get them.

bumpnbtm

Post by bumpnbtm » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:23 am

Kelly & Erica @ Shiok Ridge outside of Green Bay WI. I got a pup from them a year ago & they have been very supportive in helping me get her trained. Not sure if they have any litters planned but they put out some top quality hunting dogs

chiendog

Post by chiendog » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:04 pm

You could start here: http://nahgba.com/?lang=en

"NAHGBA – North American Hunting Griffon Breeder Alliance is an Alliance of serious breeders and stud owners of the Wirehaired Pointing Griffon. The mission of this Alliance is to protect and improve the quality of the Wirehaired Pointing Griffon as a versatile hunting dog in North America."

wolski

Post by wolski » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:48 pm

There are several reputable griff breeders in Wiscosnin. As one mentioned above Shiok Ridge in shiocton, wis. Kelly does his promoting on facebook.
Another is Stony Ridge near Brandon, Wis. He has a web site.
de jac pine kennels near bancroft has a website
Aspen Glo near Neillsville has a web site
firebird kennels near junction city has a website

These are conscientious and reputable breeders IMO. Do a google search and you will get contact info. Give them a call ask about stuff like the dogs lineage and they will give you more names and locations of breeders then you can give more breeders a call. A lot of the Griffons pedigree is online at NAVHDA so that will give you names of breeders too.

Ive got a grif from one of the breeders and grifs are absolute hellions the first year, lot of ambitious energy and smart.

sure as shootin

Post by sure as shootin » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:48 am

It seems like there's a fair number of griffon breeders that are breeding oversized dogs according to what the standard is,,,,females 20-22", males 22-24" and dogs between 50 and 60 pounds. On one of the WPG sites I go on some people have dogs between 75 and 95 pounds. I expect my WPG to be 50 ponds when she's an adult which was what I wanted. Some people have no issues with larger dogs, though,,,,just wonder what kind of acceptance those breeders will have for these larger than normal griffs who are breeding for standard??