Finding my young pup some wild birds

luvthemud

Finding my young pup some wild birds

Post by luvthemud » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:40 pm

My GSP pup will be 8 months old by the time hunting season officially rolls around and I would like to get him on some wild birds. Don't want to rely on the game farm raised wild pheasants that Wisconsin has to offer, so looking at traveling somewhere. Preferably to a midwest state within a days drive from Wisconsin.

Anybody have any recommendations for guide services that would focus more on my young dog getting some good wild bird contacts versus just filling the freezer? Perhaps it isn't even a guide service but maybe a trainer in "wild bird country" that would be willing to take a guy out for a few days of hunting in a low pressure environment. Such a plethora of guide services out there it is tough for someone who has no experience to know where to start.

Kjcpoint

Re: Finding my young pup some wild birds

Post by Kjcpoint » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:09 pm

What about just taking him out yourself for some contacts?

luvthemud

Post by luvthemud » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:30 pm

Kjcpoint wrote:What about just taking him out yourself for some contacts?
That is certainly an option and I have looked into the "U-guide" type stuff and spent a lot of time looking into places to stay and hunt, but if I can pay a reasonable fee to have a guide/lodging along with a knowledgeable hunting partner it would make it a lot more enjoyable.

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:32 pm

At 8 months I wouldn't worry about just finding wild birds. He just needs "birds" and the more the better. A local game farm would be convenient and probably less expensive. Then during the season you can get him on the real thing. At his age even pigeons would be a good option. Don't worry about concentrating on "Wild" birds right now. Your pup has a long ways to go, take your time.

Kjcpoint

Post by Kjcpoint » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:26 pm

Dakotazeb wrote:At 8 months I wouldn't worry about just finding wild birds. He just needs "birds" and the more the better. A local game farm would be convenient and probably less expensive. Then during the season you can get him on the real thing. At his age even pigeons would be a good option. Don't worry about concentrating on "Wild" birds right now. Your pup has a long ways to go, take your time.
What he said! Send me a PM, I will help you. Save your money for shells.

luvthemud

Post by luvthemud » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:32 pm

Dakotazeb wrote:At 8 months I wouldn't worry about just finding wild birds. He just needs "birds" and the more the better. A local game farm would be convenient and probably less expensive. Then during the season you can get him on the real thing. At his age even pigeons would be a good option. Don't worry about concentrating on "Wild" birds right now. Your pup has a long ways to go, take your time.
?? That is what I am looking for. A place to find the real thing versus chasing pen raised birds around here at home.

tekoa

Post by tekoa » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:48 pm

Sounds like what you want is "Summer School". Many trainers go to the Dakotas in August and September to run dogs on wild birds. I did this with my last pup with Jon Hanns' Perfection Kennels. It wasn't cheap but worth it. Most of these schools are booked up in June, but if you are determined to do it this year, I'd call Jon and see if he has any room for a late comer.

If it were me, I'd keep using pen raised birds ( I'd use pigeons, way cheaper and they fly better than most pen raised game birds) this year for training and take him hunting for wild birds. The seasons open in a lot of places in two weeks. Then sign up for 'school' next Spring. He'll ( or she) will get more out of summer school and wild birds after he has hunted some/trained a lot and gained the confidence that comes after he figures out he can't catch birds unless you shoot them............

http://www.perfectionkennel.com/

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:15 am

You HAVE to train him on pen raised birds. Why? Because you can control the contacts and situations. The old trainers adage: "Train them on pen birds, finish on wild birds". Now, if you want grouse and woodcock in Wi., simply head N. of 64.

If you want Western birds, just drive out there, stop for a hunting license and FREE HUNTING ATLAS and hunt the open land. You don't need a guy. At 10-11 months he's old enough for valuable contacts. My caution? DO NOT take him if he won't recall. You can get in to spots in the Dakotas where 100 pheasant will bust out of a single patch. Your dog will cover half the state chasing the birds and so will you looking for him.

setterpoint

Post by setterpoint » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:43 pm

why hunt your own state you have great grouse hunting there but if its phes. your wanting to hunt then the internet should give you all the imfo you need ..good luck

Timewise65

Post by Timewise65 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:43 am

I agree with most...start a young dog on pen raised birds! What you are really trying to create is a 'training opportunity'! A big piece of that is assuring that the dog, scents and finds birds. Then also finding out that after being shot by you, he gets to pick up the bird and hopefully bring it back to you.

I primarily run retrievers, but even my early training was at game ranches for pheasants. It was not about hunting for me is was only about setting up 'training opportunities' and working with my dog to get them excited about what might be hiding behind every bush.....

Good Luck

BraqueFrancais115

Post by BraqueFrancais115 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:48 pm

luvthemud wrote:My GSP pup will be 8 months old by the time hunting season officially rolls around and I would like to get him on some wild birds. Don't want to rely on the game farm raised wild pheasants that Wisconsin has to offer, so looking at traveling somewhere. Preferably to a midwest state within a days drive from Wisconsin.

Anybody have any recommendations for guide services that would focus more on my young dog getting some good wild bird contacts versus just filling the freezer? Perhaps it isn't even a guide service but maybe a trainer in "wild bird country" that would be willing to take a guy out for a few days of hunting in a low pressure environment. Such a plethora of guide services out there it is tough for someone who has no experience to know where to start.

Check this out:
http://ebird.org/ebird/map/amewoo?neg=t ... 0&eyr=2017

Zoom in and try to find areas that have proven sightings of woodcock, in this example. Pay these areas a visit with your GSP and he should run into plenty of wild birds. Now, keep in mind that this is simply to increase his number of bird contacts. Training him during these live scenarios will be tricky... attaching a check cord to the pup at all times will be difficult as woodcock terrain is thick and hard to maneuver as it is. Feel free to also run a search for grouse within that website. There's plenty of'em up in Northern WI.

I'm attempting to do the same as we speak, but the woodcock population is rather low in the SE WI area. Historically, woodcock will start making their way south, from Canada, from September through October... they'll also be migrating back in these parts by the spring (another opportunity to expose pup to wild birds, only in much much higher numbers).

luvthemud

Post by luvthemud » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:55 am

BraqueFrancais115 wrote:
luvthemud wrote:My GSP pup will be 8 months old by the time hunting season officially rolls around and I would like to get him on some wild birds. Don't want to rely on the game farm raised wild pheasants that Wisconsin has to offer, so looking at traveling somewhere. Preferably to a midwest state within a days drive from Wisconsin.

Check this out:
http://ebird.org/ebird/map/amewoo?neg=t ... 0&eyr=2017

Zoom in and try to find areas that have proven sightings of woodcock, in this example. Pay these areas a visit with your GSP and he should run into plenty of wild birds. Now, keep in mind that this is simply to increase his number of bird contacts. Training him during these live scenarios will be tricky... attaching a check cord to the pup at all times will be difficult as woodcock terrain is thick and hard to maneuver as it is. Feel free to also run a search for grouse within that website. There's plenty of'em up in Northern WI.

I'm attempting to do the same as we speak, but the woodcock population is rather low in the SE WI area. Historically, woodcock will start making their way south, from Canada, from September through October... they'll also be migrating back in these parts by the spring (another opportunity to expose pup to wild birds, only in much much higher numbers).

thanks for the link! wasn't aware that it existed!

He is doing great with chukar and pigeons out of launchers, so as soon as I feel his recall is 100%, which should be soon, will take him out somewhere for "real birds". A trip to Northern WI will definitely be on the agenda! Normally have a few woodcock around my parts, but haven't been out to check yet.

blanked

Post by blanked » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:18 pm

I disagree with most. You need to bring out the pups natural breeding. That is pup needs to learn to hunt, point and find birds. You can't teach this. Wild birds bring this out in pup. All you need to do is get pup used to the gun shot and come when called.

After a season of shooting wild birds then start the formal training on pigeons

Don't hunt with others, keep your mouth shut except for praise and let the wild birds do the rest. Shoot birds for pup when he points birds. Pup will learn you and him are a team and this is what your after

setterpoint

Post by setterpoint » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:21 am

woodcock are great for a young dog they hold tight and you have good woodcock hunting in wi. if you go when flight birds are in it can provide you with lots of birds

jczv

Post by jczv » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:23 am

I've been using that ebirds site for years, good info although I wouldn't advertise to heavily using it to find birds to hunt. If you want to self-guide and are going to particular areas pick up some these guys maps https://www.northwnd.com. Not cheap but great to get your started.

JONOV

Post by JONOV » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:59 pm

Point the car north. Hunt Grouse.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:51 am

Nice if you can find them but it is not essential

BraqueFrancais115

Post by BraqueFrancais115 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:10 pm

ezzy333 wrote:Nice if you can find them but it is not essential
Could you elaborate, please?

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:50 pm

"He is doing great with chukar and pigeons out of launchers, so as soon as I feel his recall is 100%, which should be soon, will take him out somewhere for "real birds". A trip to Northern WI will definitely be on the agenda! Normally have a few woodcock around my parts, but haven't been out to check yet." quote luvthemud

and expect that recall etc will need some fine tuning on wildbirds. :) They are so exciting!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:53 pm

blanked wrote:I disagree with most. You need to bring out the pups natural breeding. That is pup needs to learn to hunt, point and find birds. You can't teach this. Wild birds bring this out in pup. All you need to do is get pup used to the gun shot and come when called.

After a season of shooting wild birds then start the formal training on pigeons

Don't hunt with others, keep your mouth shut except for praise and let the wild birds do the rest. Shoot birds for pup when he points birds. Pup will learn you and him are a team and this is what your after
Very interesting perspective, assuming wild birds are available /legal to point from the pup's early age on.