Bittersweet Dove Hunt

GSP 4 me

Bittersweet Dove Hunt

Post by GSP 4 me » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:53 pm

Earlier this month, I went on my annual dove hunt, but it just wasn't the same. The birds were flying and I got my limits...no complaints there. However, this was my first year without my GSP keeping me company because I had to put him down due to terminal liver cancer back in December.

It felt really odd leaving behind the dog crate and all the other gear while loading up the vehicle for the trip.
Unfortunately, the sadness really hit me when the first bird dropped and my dog wasn't over there running to pick it up. I miss watching his little tootsie roll tail wag a mile a minute. He was truly happy out there and loved going with me. Lost birds were rare and any crippled birds were caught quickly. He was an awesome retriever and would never quit when he heard "dead bird".

Back at the hotel, I ran into some other dove hunters and struck a conversation in the parking lot with one of them. We got on the subject of dogs and when he found out my dog had died recently, he mentioned going through the same sadness when his dog passed away at the age of 14. We exchanged memories of our dogs which sounded eerily similar. Sure enough, he had a GSP and our two dogs seemed like they were cut from the same cloth. It was hard to describe...but we each knew exactly what it meant to lose a faithful hunting companion.

Upon returning home, I grabbed several tail feathers I saved from the hunt and placed them on my dog's grave and thanked him for being such a great dog.

RIP Mustang- You will never be forgotten.

greg jacobs

Re: Bittersweet Dove Hunt

Post by greg jacobs » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:04 pm

You gave him the life he loved.
To spend time with you.
Out chasing birds with you.
And in return he gave you great memories.
Great times that you will never forget.
RIP Mustang

NEhomer

Post by NEhomer » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:18 am

(((Mustang)))

I'm in year 3 with my setter this fall and I love him so much I want to break a clock and make time stop.

Timewise65

Post by Timewise65 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:18 am

The only thing bad about owning these wonderful creatures is that they have such short life spans! I am sorry for your loss...

I have been through this loss 4-5 times over my adult life, it was never easy, it always tears my heart out. But every time, as time passes, I realize that I need to have a good dog around me. Then I start the effort to find a new pup. Not to replace my lost friend, but to carry on the memories and fun that we have with our dogs.

Over the years I found another solution that helps....I now have 3 gun dogs spaced out a few years apart, as I will not be alone, without a friendly dog to go hunting with me, at least for as long as I can hunt birds...