Help with my new pup

Frank

Help with my new pup

Post by Frank » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:12 am

I got a new puppy 2 weeks ago, now he is 10 weeks old. But in 2 weeks I'd like to go away for the weekend, and I'd like to know what you all thought of that, would be ok for my pup?

Timewise65

Re: Help with my new pup

Post by Timewise65 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:10 pm

What exactly are you planning to do with the pup? Are you crate training him to teach him not to pee in the house, or is he an outside dog?

Not enough information on your post to comment further...

Frank

Post by Frank » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:48 pm

Sorry about not enough info. He is being crate trained and some family will be with him the whole time, but I was told the person who will be hunting with him (me), should be with him as much as possible and wasn't sure if that would be to long.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:01 pm

Sure you can go away for the weekend. No problem for pup.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:36 pm

Frank wrote:Sorry about not enough info. He is being crate trained and some family will be with him the whole time, but I was told the person who will be hunting with him (me), should be with him as much as possible and wasn't sure if that would be to long.
Actually will be good for the pup and help with insecurity problems later

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:56 pm

Why would he have insecurity problems later and hw would this help......Cj

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:08 pm

<em>ezzy333</em> wrote:
Frank wrote:Sorry about not enough info. He is being crate trained and some family will be with him the whole time, but I was told the person who will be hunting with him (me), should be with him as much as possible and wasn't sure if that would be to long.
Actually will be good for the pup and help with insecurity problems later
When any human or animal becomes emotionally attached to just one individual is when we run into separation anxiety which is nothing more than a security problem with the individual. It relates to the situation where they feel the need for you to be there for them to survive. That's why we try to get our children and our pups socialized so they are not directly subordinate or dependent on anyone for their survival.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:19 pm

Exactly. Well said.

Frank

Post by Frank » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:31 pm

Ok, thanks, this is my first hunting dog (he's a drahthaar) and wasn't sure. That makes me feel better.

JONOV

Post by JONOV » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:13 am

cjhills wrote:Why would he have insecurity problems later and hw would this help......Cj
Speaking from personal experience, I work from home. My dog was with me all the time. He took a long time to stop peeing his crate. He would also wine at the door for hours when I would leave.

If I didn't live in an apartment at the time, I would have made a point to crate him outside where i couldn't hear him for a few hours every day, and left him with people for the weekend.