Which Training supplies?

Frank

Which Training supplies?

Post by Frank » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:22 pm

Im now thinking about what supplies I need for my new pup. I hunt some upland, I plan to start grouse hunting in the woods and I do some waterfowl. I was wandering what whistles you use, why you like them and what you recommend. I was looking at the new Storm whistles, their supposed to be the loudest you can get. But do I need it to be that loud. Is there any problem with being too loud (beside annoying everybody your hunting with). And as far as check cords what's everybody's opinion on those?

wolski

Re: Which Training supplies?

Post by wolski » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:52 pm

I am likely in the minority but I build my own leashes using the best brass clips I can find and buy bulk rope (orange) from the farm store. I make them into any length I want. Generally 6-10 ft for walking lead and 25 ft for check cord. New pups seem to chew and destroy most everything and the leash is first on their list.

Whislte, one softer for close range and one loud for when she wanders too far off. Consistency of owner is more important than style of whislte IMO but check out gun dog supply dot com for a variety.

Eventually you need a prong collar too

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:12 pm

Congrats, Welcome to the world of bird dog training. A lot will depend on what type of dog you have(pointer or flusher) and what degree of proficiency you want. I'm a fairly low tech guy who wants a obedient meat dog. One that finds birds, doesn't chase the ones I miss, brings back the ones I hit, comes when called, sits, stays, kennels and stays quiet in a blind. I use both pea and non-pea whistles. Non pea don't freeze when it gets cold. I use an e-collar sparingly but have done most of my training with a 25' or 50' check cord. I do not have remote launchers put have trained my pointers with pigeons dragging pieces of garden hose and kick cages. All of my retriever training has been done with dummies and birdwings, along with some dead pigeons and what ever birds I've shot while pup was in the field with me. I'm not a stickler on steady to flusher and shot as long as they don't chase. If they see the bird go down I want them on it, but when waterfowl hunting I want to be able to call them off if I need too. I work on range by whistling them back or giving a short nick with the e-collar. I too make most of my equipment.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:17 pm

All I ever use is a short leash, long leash ( 25 feet) , bird launcher and e collar. Never use a whistle , just my voice.

edit : See Shags post about Wonder lead and the long cc being stiff - very important and I forgot to mention that.

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:01 am

I use a short leash often homemade , a whistle , some bumpers and party poppers for making "bangs" with. Very occasionally I might use a checkcord for one or two lessons. I also use a lot of time and boot leather ! :lol:

Bill T.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:41 am

Leather lead, Wonder Lead, check cord, ecollar ( for trash only - tons of deer here and close to roads).

Haven't used a whistle in years, no need. But the one I had is Acme Thunderer.

Check cord should be stiffest rope you can find, then left out in the dirt, mud, and rain to make it even stiffer. Loose rope tangles, and is not as responsive when you flick or tap with it.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:22 am

Been so long since I blew a whistle I'm not sure I have the breath for it anymore. I use retriever dummy's I make myself out of old jeans and some of that material that floats. I get a 30' piece of tight woven 3/8 the nylon rope and make a 6' leash and a 24' check cord from it. The more you use them, the stiffer they get. I tie a snap on with a bowline knot on each ans the other end get's a simple over hand knot. You want the dog to drag the CC the knot get's untied so it won't catch on cover and tie the dog up. That's the same reason to use tight woven rope for it, stiff rope does not wrap around ground cover, it bounces off. If your doing a pointing dog's you can get by without remote traps with a good check cord and an assistant. My way way these day's, and a long time before, is to handle the birds with a remote release trap. If you are doing a pointing dog, I'd suggest a pigeon loft to teach the birds to home. Do that and as long as you keep it, you will never run out of birds. I moved into my place 28+ yrs ago and brought about 30 feral pigeon's with me. Used a lot of them over the years and still have close to 40 left. got into homer's about 5 or 6 yrs ago. I've sold off quite a number of them and still have over 50 of them! Use pigeon's and you'll never run out of birds, you will have to either sell some or shoot a bunch now and then.

Frank

Post by Frank » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:56 am

I was also wandering, if I train him to a whistle and then get another whistle some day will he respond to both without retraining or just the original whistle.

And I heard that cage realised birds smelled different the wild birds and this caused problems with the dog. Has anyone had a problem with this? Also how big of a cage do pigeons need? And how much food do you need?

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:25 pm

The longer I do this the less I use. Twenty foot solid core 3/8" checkcord, E Collar,a heeling stick, pigeons and launchers. no whistle. The pen birds definitely smell different and the launcher pads smell different, but the dogs will figure that out. They will have a little issue on wild birds at first but they work that out.Different wild birds smell different also. At least I think they do.
I don't do a lot of handling pointing dogs in the field.We need a very good recall and I like them to do what comes naturally. I do want them to be steady to wing and shot and to honor. The MH dogs of course have to be steady to fall and retrieve on command. Most of our dogs are natural retrievers and we do a little conditioning but not a real tough force fetch.........Cj

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:30 pm

Frank wrote:I was also wandering, if I train him to a whistle and then get another whistle some day will he respond to both without retraining or just the original whistle.

And I heard that cage realised birds smelled different the wild birds and this caused problems with the dog. Has anyone had a problem with this? Also how big of a cage do pigeons need? And how much food do you need?

Usually it takes some training to get the dog used to a new whistle. That's one reason why in trials when dogs are braced together, people like to use their voice.
Dogs have no problem switching from "cage released birds" to wild birds. You can't fully train a dog on wild birds as you have very little /if any control over the bird. jmo

I don't have a homing bird set up. Ezzy is the expert on what pigeons need. I buy 3-5 birds at auction and use them up in a week - more than a week and they don't fly well.I keep them in a dog crate- feed and water daily.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:55 pm

Frank wrote:I was also wandering, if I train him to a whistle and then get another whistle some day will he respond to both without retraining or just the original whistle.

Every bird they meet, no matter where it comes from, no matter the specie, no matter the time of year, smells different. Not anything to worry about. They are bird dogs and will learn from you what you are hunting.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:45 pm

Another point or two.
Most all of my training is done in the yard. By the time the dog goes to the field he will have a excellent recall heel and whoa and has been introduced to the birds and gun. he is also conditioned to the ecollar and responds to a light setting. I only put a checkcord on so I can catch him if he decides he does not want to be caught. I have no problem with cautioning a dog on point. In fact when I walk past the dog to flush I always give them a quiet whoa.......Cj