Brittany lines

isonychia

Brittany lines

Post by isonychia » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:21 pm

Hey all, been awhile. My dog is 7 as of yesterday and I am going to start researching bloodlines again. I am looking for a line with a closer range (<300 yards) and an emphasis more on hunt tests more so than field trials, not that field trials are undesirable (that wouldn't make since) but what I want is more of a hunt test dog. I have enjoyed the watch dog aspect I have with my current Brittany, would like something a little longer haired and perhaps with that "dirty" white look (is there a name for this?) Something Kind of like the photo below.

I'm not a field trialer, I want a solid hunter, to me that means point the bird (grouse in my case) at a long distance, chase when needed. I force fetch, but an early drop is better than a hard mouth, again, not field trialing.

Heavy pray drive, natural point, no show dogs.

I got lucky with my first Brit, I want to do research for my second. ANY help is appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

isonychia

Re: Brittany lines

Post by isonychia » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:22 pm

Just a note, the last photo that shows up is really what I am aiming for, however, genetic health, hunt ability, eagerness to please, temperament with children, etc all are much more important.

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:00 pm

A black nose or black in the coat will be a French Brittany. American britts will have brown or pinkish noses and no Black in their coats or noses. American britts will be white/orange or white/liver or a few tri color white/liver/orange (no black). The coat pattern you are talking about is a roan pattern instead of the clear spot pattern :D

You might try Mark Dinsmore in Sykeston, ND. I think he is still a member on here. If he isn't, I know he is on GunDogBreeders.com with an active litter ad(under French Brittany). If he doesn't have any, he could probably point you in the right direction as far as other breeders. :!:

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:33 am

I agree with deseeker. All those photos that you posted are of French Brittanies, not American Brittanies. French Brittanies tend to be closer working and not as big a runners as the American Britts.

Here is Mark Dinsmore's web site. http://letoiledunordkennels.com/home.html

Warrior372

Post by Warrior372 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:36 am

I have a French Brittany from Mark - he looks like the dogs in you first and third pictures. Generally speaking, they have all of the attributes you mentioned - close working (mine ranges to about 150 yards), a lot of natural hunting instinct, and very sweet with people. If that is what you are looking for here are some breeders with great lines in their kennels. Check out L’Etoile du Nord (Mark’s kennel), Plum Creek (SD), Delavan (IL), Lescarbot (MN), Hannahatched (GA), Topperlyn (MT - I do not think they have pedigrees on their website), Pataula Power Kennels (GA & MT - Fred got several great dogs from a great line - L'Ardour in the Netherlands when the kennel dissolved), Broughtons.

There are a lot of great dogs to look for in pedigrees. You will see Mark's dog Vernon de L'Escarbot in a lot of current breeding Champion and Grand Champion French Brittanies, Toy de Saint Lubin, Cliathan Archer, Tatoo du Bois Courcol, Nat du Buisson du Choisel, R'Vampire du mas D'eyraud - that is just grazing the surface. You will see a lot of those dogs in the Kennels mentioned above. They have a lot of field champions and grand champions they are currently still breeding too. There are a lot great dogs / bloodlines across the breed.

Another breeder resource is here - http://www.ceb-us.org/breeders-info/bre ... ctory.html .
Last edited by Warrior372 on Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:23 am, edited 3 times in total.

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:51 am

Thanks everyone! I knew French Britts tended to be liver colored but not much beyond that, I will look in to these lines.

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:33 am

Can I get any feedback on these guys: http://www.suncountrybretons.com/index.html

Thanks a ton!

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:46 am

I've had one American type Brittany and two French Brits . I preferred the American brit but that could be because she was the first one I ever owned. None of them were particularly "close" workers. I had to train them to get them to hunt close when I needed them to.
The brit pictured below is the last brit I ever owned. I thought she was hunting out to 3-400 yards when on open moorland but my friends told me it was closer to 5 -600 ! Like any good pointing dog she "pulled out" on me if game was scarce.

She is a French brit and she is black, orange and white.

Every brit I've ever owned was bung-full of natural hunting instinct. Getting them to hunt and to point naturally was never a problem but keeping good control of them could be !

Bill T.

Pedro

Post by Pedro » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:01 am

Additionally you might check out your local NSTRA chapter and see who is successfully competing Brittanys. Those dogs have to point/back/retrieve in a fairly controlled environment. Usually those guys raise a litter for themselves and a few pups will be available to the public.

I really like roaned up dogs, but they can be hard to see.

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:16 am

Pedro wrote:Additionally you might check out your local NSTRA chapter and see who is successfully competing Brittanys. Those dogs have to point/back/retrieve in a fairly controlled environment. Usually those guys raise a litter for themselves and a few pups will be available to the public.

I really like roaned up dogs, but they can be hard to see.
There are not many, if any, Frenchies running NSTRA. I know Mark Dinsmore ran a couple of his (including Vern probably the most decorated French Brittany in the states) in our region a few times. They did okay but were not real competitive.

Pedro

Post by Pedro » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:38 am

There are not many, if any, Frenchies running NSTRA. I know Mark Dinsmore ran a couple of his (including Vern probably the most decorated French Brittany in the states) in our region a few times. They did okay but were not real competitive.[/quote]

Sorry, thought he was looking for a Brittany. Missed the French part.

Warrior372

Post by Warrior372 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:59 pm

isonychia wrote:Can I get any feedback on these guys: http://www.suncountrybretons.com/index.html

Thanks a ton!
I have read a lot of good things about them and never personally seen anything bad. I know they have a lot of AKC master hunters. I am by no means a pedigree master, but Josie and Nellie have great looking bloodlines. Josie has two 1st and 2nd generation Grand Champion field trialers in her pedigree, as well as one 3rd gen.

JONOV

Post by JONOV » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:56 pm

Trekmoor wrote:I've had one American type Brittany and two French Brits . I preferred the American brit but that could be because she was the first one I ever owned. None of them were particularly "close" workers. I had to train them to get them to hunt close when I needed them to.
The brit pictured below is the last brit I ever owned. I thought she was hunting out to 3-400 yards when on open moorland but my friends told me it was closer to 5 -600 ! Like any good pointing dog she "pulled out" on me if game was scarce.

She is a French brit and she is black, orange and white.

Every brit I've ever owned was bung-full of natural hunting instinct. Getting them to hunt and to point naturally was never a problem but keeping good control of them could be !

Bill T.
She's Beautiful!

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:21 pm

isonychia wrote:Can I get any feedback on these guys: http://www.suncountrybretons.com/index.html

Thanks a ton!
I'd also be curious if anyone has any knowledge of Sun Country Bretons and the owner/trainer Don Rice. I winter very close to them in Arizona and may be looking for a trainer in the area for my American Brittany.

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:14 pm

Mark Dinsmore is the premier french britt breeder in the US.

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:23 pm

There is a guy( sorry can't remember his name), who has some red hot French Brittanys in Nstra. He is from the west Texas region of NSTRA. They hit the field like a rocket. I competed with him as a brace mate at AZ Nstra. The fields are 65 acres. Those dogs flat cover ground fast. Go to NSTRA.org, click regional, click region West Texas. It lists the presidents phone #. Give her a call.

Warrior372

Post by Warrior372 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:22 am

oldbeek wrote:There is a guy( sorry can't remember his name), who has some red hot French Brittanys in Nstra. He is from the west Texas region of NSTRA. They hit the field like a rocket. I competed with him as a brace mate at AZ Nstra. The fields are 65 acres. Those dogs flat cover ground fast. Go to NSTRA.org, click regional, click region West Texas. It lists the presidents phone #. Give her a call.
Is this the breeder - http://www.frenchgundogs.com . Barb Wire Kennels?

bear57

Post by bear57 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:26 pm

I'm also looking for similar traits and have one additional question regarding the French and American lines. The temperament or calmness of lines, is there really a difference between French and American lines? There seems to be quit a few statements claiming this trait or is it just over exaggerated claims to bolster sales? Thanks for the insight.

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:05 pm

bear57 wrote:I'm also looking for similar traits and have one additional question regarding the French and American lines. The temperament or calmness of lines, is there really a difference between French and American lines? There seems to be quit a few statements claiming this trait or is it just over exaggerated claims to bolster sales? Thanks for the insight.
I think there is more difference in temperament in the breeding than there is in the breeds. I also believe that the environment the dog is raised in plays a large role in this. My dogs have always been very quite and laid back in the house but we have a quiet house with no kids. But take a pup and raise it in a house with a couple of young kids that are loud and chasing the dog around most of the time your chances of a clam dog are slim. (i.e. my daughter's dog with two wild kids)

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:29 pm

I found very little difference in the natures of French or American brits. They all made good workers and good house pets and they all liked children and were fine with all other dogs.

I did find my American brit easier to train but that was probably because I was younger and fitter !

Bill T.

MGIII

Brittany lines

Post by MGIII » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:50 pm

Thanks a ton!
They have nice dogs. Can't go wrong

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:29 pm

Warrior372 wrote:
oldbeek wrote:There is a guy( sorry can't remember his name), who has some red hot French Brittanys in Nstra. He is from the west Texas region of NSTRA. They hit the field like a rocket. I competed with him as a brace mate at AZ Nstra. The fields are 65 acres. Those dogs flat cover ground fast. Go to NSTRA.org, click regional, click region West Texas. It lists the presidents phone #. Give her a call.
Is this the breeder - http://www.frenchgundogs.com . Barb Wire Kennels?
Not the same guy I was talking about. But, I really do not know where his dogs come from. I do not know if he even sells dogs, BUT the line of dogs he runs are rockets and they find birds.

ohmymy111

Post by ohmymy111 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:52 am

I have a litter on the ground right now. They are all females and are all Orange and White. The sire is Jabo de el Matochar, an import from Spain where he was a "Trialer" in the field and a Champion -CS -IB in the Ring. The female is Hope Sur le Delavan and is a daughter of my dog GrCHF GRCH Vernon de L'Escarbot MH.

BTW Hootie de L'Etoile du Nord, son of Darius de L'Etoile du Nord and Grandson of Vernon de L'Escarbot just finished in the top 32 of 196 dogs at the NSTRA Nationals

If you would like to know more, please give me a call at 612-750-7059

Settertude

Post by Settertude » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:34 pm

http://firelightbirddogs.com/about-us/

Check these guys out.
Great folks that breed for hunting and companionship.
Real good folks, too.

Mike and Lynndee

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:25 am

I bought my dad a pup from Mark. He's a good dude and produces great dogs. My dads pup is out of Vern x Ardoise. Pics of her below. She's probably the most natural hunting dog I've seen. She has a motor that doesn't quit. Natural retriever. Lives in the house, great with people and other dogs. Fun little dog! She's an orange roan. If you want some more pics, let me know, I'd be happy to send some over.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:59 pm

My dog is out of field trial lines. Tequila Joker line. Peter Gun line. She is an excellent hunting dog and also does well in NSTRA. She does run huge until she locates a covey, then she is a 30yd dog.

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:20 am

Thanks for all of the responses. Does anyone know of any good American Brittany breeders in the west? (Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana, Idaho, Wyoming)?

Safari_Shaun

Post by Safari_Shaun » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:25 am

Arlette Hennessey at K Nine Birddog Brittanys. kninebirddog.com

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:49 am

I'll send you a PM when I get home.

Warrior372

Post by Warrior372 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:44 pm

Jason Staley just outside of Twin Falls, Idaho has some spectacular dogs. He is supposed to be a great trainer as well. A lot of Field Champions in his kennel and his dogs won the Western Futurity Champion titles in 2013-2016.

http://www.jskennelsandtraining.com

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:55 pm

Safari_Shaun wrote:Arlette Hennessey at K Nine Birddog Brittanys. kninebirddog.com
I will second this. Have competed with Arletts dogs. They are rockets with good noses. Not as good as my Missy but she is all mine.

TTIERNS

Post by TTIERNS » Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:20 pm

Warbonnet Brittany's in Whitehall, Mt has a couple litters coming soon. Sires are Beaver's Straight Arrow and Dirty Ned Pepper both Magnums Masked Man Top Brittany Gun Dog Award winners, Arrow twice. Todd's females are top notch. Check out their website: brits-n-pekes.com. Also Square Butte Brittany's in Great Falls, Mt. he might have the best bloodlines. Nolan's Last Bullet, Ban Dee, and Gringo DeBrit. Terry's website is: squarebuttebrittanys.com

Pedro

Post by Pedro » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:17 am

isonychia wrote:Thanks for all of the responses. Does anyone know of any good American Brittany breeders in the west? (Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana, Idaho, Wyoming)?
Here's a list of the local brittany clubs. These clubs will hold field trials, hunt tests, ... Call club in your area, tell them you're looking for a dog.
http://clubs.akc.org/brit/Secretary.htm

Ed and Jessica will have some nice dogs. I think they're in AZ or NM part of the year.
http://www.tequilakennels.com/index.html