How do know when it’s time ?

collinedward

How do know when it’s time ?

Post by collinedward » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:06 pm

My GSP is 15 and I’m struggling with the decision of putting him down. He’s completely deaf and "bleep" near blind. He can’t seem to hold his bodily functions that well anymore so he’s either outside or in his kennel. He does a few other strange things also. He still gets around well which is why I’m struggling.

Am I just being selfish even thinking of this ?

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: How do know when it’s time ?

Post by Sharon » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:23 pm

I don't think you are being selfish at all. No one can make that decision but you; I can give you my opinion.
For me, once my dog is incontinent and having to be put out side when it's used to being in the house, I would be putting it down. Warning : you will have have some regrets in hind site that you'll have to deal with.
My setter is just about 12, I'm hoping she goes down in the field and that's it. Probably won't get that lucky though. Her Mother was put down due to non stop seizures(brain tumor).

wolski

Post by wolski » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:04 pm

Its a hard choice no doubt. My last dog lived to be 17 and many times i was tempted to buy the pill. Like your dog, incontinent and acting goofy/ But my dog seemed happy enough, ran around enough that i could see she wanted to keep living IMO. Nothing wrong with the dog living outside is there? You dont live in a cold climate. If you want to take care of the dog and help her out, if you have the time to take care of her, if it fits in with your other priorities, then by all means.

collinedward

Post by collinedward » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:29 pm

wolski wrote:Its a hard choice no doubt. My last dog lived to be 17 and many times i was tempted to buy the pill. Like your dog, incontinent and acting goofy/ But my dog seemed happy enough, ran around enough that i could see she wanted to keep living IMO. Nothing wrong with the dog living outside is there? You dont live in a cold climate. If you want to take care of the dog and help her out, if you have the time to take care of her, if it fits in with your other priorities, then by all means.
I live in Ohio now so we are not too far from the weather turning cold. He’s certainly causing some level of stress in the house.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:41 pm

I'm sorry you amd the family are going through this. It's a terrible thing.

But...

Better too soon than too late. The too soon hurts you, but the too late hurts him.

Wishing you well at this time of such a sad decision.

vizslatrainer

Post by vizslatrainer » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:02 pm

My GSP was blind and hard of hearing at age 15 but she went out to the yard and navigated by smell to find her way around. She developed a fast growing cancer in her mouth and it was time. I know how very hard it is for you, it was for me. I m sure your GSP has had wonderful life and 15 is a good run. Remember the good times and great hunts you had with your pal.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:50 am

Ask your vet!

collinedward

Post by collinedward » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:40 am

I have a few times. The answer is always when the bad days outnumber the good and I am not sure which is which anymore. Is a good day a day he doesn’t mess in his kennel or poops while he’s eating. If he wasn’t completely deaf and partially blind this topic certainly wouldn’t even be brought up. I have no doubt if he could hear/see we would still be hunting this fall. I feel he’s just slipping mentally and very little of the dog I know and love is still in there.

I’m struggling because he’s a giant stressor in my life right now and his quality of life is poor due to the fact of him not holding his bodily functions all the time. With 2 kids, another dog , a wife that can’t clean up poop and typical everyday life cleaning up a messy dog/kennel just sucks.

Is it a convenience or just time ?

I’m not expecting anyone to be able to answer , just some opinions .

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:47 am

Each case is an individual but one needs to consider the dog before considering self.
We all wish as much time with our pups as possible...but, I know I have been guilty of waiting longer than I should...tough deal.
Do the best you can for the best of reasons and then, never second guess....that is all our dogs ask.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:33 am

You know, you and your family deserve a good quality of life too. Your old incapacitated dog won't get better no matter what you do, and it will only get more stessful for his people.

You don't want to come home from work, or wake in the morning, to find him lying dead in his own excrement, or to find him laying in it struggling and unable to get up. Worse, to perhaps have you and your wife resent each other for such a nasty final predicament.

He's had a good long life and there is no shame in helping him toward a painless and dignified end. It's an act of kindness to him.

Probably most of us have struggled with whether we are keeping our dogs going for us, or for them, or whether we let them go for their benefit or our own. Most of the time it's a mix, and there isn't any way to separate that. Don't feel guilty because letting him go will make your life easier...it will. That's not a bad reflection on you or your family, it's just the way it goes.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:15 pm

collinedward wrote:My GSP is 15 and I’m struggling with the decision of putting him down. He’s completely deaf and "bleep" near blind. He can’t seem to hold his bodily functions that well anymore so he’s either outside or in his kennel. He does a few other strange things also. He still gets around well which is why I’m struggling.

Am I just being selfish even thinking of this ?
Put yourself in the dogs paws for a minute.
Life or quality of life.

wolski

Post by wolski » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:36 pm

You don't want to come home from work, or wake in the morning, to find him lying dead in his own excrement, or to find him laying in it struggling and unable to get up. Worse, to perhaps have you and your wife resent each other for such a nasty final predicament.

I have to fully agree with Shags on this. Wether you and wife agree or disagree on what to do dont let this come between you. Like it or not; spouses and the rest of your family require more responsibility from you than any one dog or dogs.

Tooling

Post by Tooling » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:56 pm

Tough subject.

In my view, if you're asking such a personal question on the interweb, there's a problem - seriously.

Your dog will let you know when it's time. If it's not easily recognized..that's a problem.

JMO

Sorry about your dog :(

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:19 am

If you have to ask the question you know the answer.
When we decide to buy a puppy we know that generally we take on the responsibility of deciding when to let the dog go.
There is no cure for old age and it serves no useful purpose to let an old dog suffer through the pain and indignity just to have him around a little longer. He is very likely to come to some bad end or wander off to die.
When the dog becomes a strain on your family and your life in general it is time. You gave the dog a good life, but it is time to let him go.
You will miss him forever but the right choice is to move on and know you made the only realistic choice. Father time always wins. It is not really a choice.
The best we can do is be glad we had the good years........Cj