Belly protection

Nmhuntr

Belly protection

Post by Nmhuntr » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:53 pm

I am not certain what this is called but i am trying to get a recommendation on a protective vest for the belly of my Britt.
We have a lot of mesquite bushes here and I dont want her jumping over, under or through them and getting scratched up. Do any of you use these and what are your thoughts?

Thanks a lit

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Re: Belly protection

Post by polmaise » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:03 pm

Good coat condition and No visits to the groomer for clipping and loads of drive usually works well in all types of cover.
Always used vaseline or other similar type if working the spaniels in cover, but never all over, as that would create heat. But then like everything ..You could work them in alaska and the cover would be different I suppose.

Warrior372

Post by Warrior372 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:28 pm

Cabela's Ripstop Vest works extremely well! -- http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas- ... 352806.uts My Brittany wears one every time he goes out. A friends Brittany caught a stick in the torso last year. It took 3 surgeries - and well over $1.5k (the vet felt bad so he gave him a pricebreak on surgeries 2 and 3) for the vet to get the tiny fragment out. Not to say that 900 denier nylon can stop everything, but my dog has worn one for 1.5 years without a problem. He is pretty reckless with his body while hunting. A small fit him until he was full grown - now he wears a medium. He is 45lbs. It helps keep burrs and stickers out of his soft hair too so post run / hunt clean up is a lot easier. Another bonus is that when they roll is poop or a dead animal you just take the vest off and throw it in the wash!! :)

Sylmar vests are supposed to be great as well. I just have not personally owned one so I cannot give you direct feedback. They are made in the USA though which is always a plus!

Robbw

Post by Robbw » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:53 pm

I run my Brittany and French Brittany in the warm weather with a Mendota Skidplate. When it turns cooler, I move them to a sylmar vest, neoprene for the little dog. I have no doubt that these have saved them from some serious injury and saw one of my dogs go through barbed wire and only get a small scratch where the skidplate ended. HIGHLY Recommended.

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:50 pm

Nmhuntr, I have found in the past that most any belly protector ends up being a nuisance after the first hour on the ground. I have spent more time wrapping, taping, res-ecuring belly protectors than removing cholla! The other aspect is that they can get you dog hung up.
It's your call but I have a couple here you can have. ;)

ECO

Post by ECO » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:59 pm

I strongly second the Mendota Skidplate. Great quality and definitely has saved us a trip or two to the vet. Dog doesn't hunt without it anymore.

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:59 pm

I've used a lot of different brands/types and have found that Sylmar has been far the best. Never have to re-secure it, easy on, easy off. Wonderful protection. I've used it for September Sharpies in ND and late winter roosters in Western MN. Never been hung up. Durable. Doesn't absorb much for odor, even skunk. Made in the USA. They offer free alterations. Owner is super nice!

Wish I would've had a Sylmar when my dog got impaled. :roll:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Warrior372

Post by Warrior372 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:20 pm

My experience with the Cabelas Ripstop Vest is the same. I have never had to adjust it or resecure it in the field. I have never seen him get hung up on anything in 1.5 years either. The fact Sylmar with do alterations is very cool!

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:15 pm

Mendota skid plate. Filson also makes a tough one. I have never had any problem with a dog wearing a skid plate.

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:00 am

I've had a lot of trouble rubbing my gsp's raw around there front legs. Seems most are lab shaped. Neck doesn't fit, to wide between the front legs, barrel shaped instead of tuck up at the belly. After you rub them raw they are down for a week. Anyone find vests that work on a gsp.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:14 am

Sounds like you're getting them too big Greg. Try downsizing.

Warrior372

Post by Warrior372 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:55 am

greg jacobs wrote:I've had a lot of trouble rubbing my gsp's raw around there front legs. Seems most are lab shaped. Neck doesn't fit, to wide between the front legs, barrel shaped instead of tuck up at the belly. After you rub them raw they are down for a week. Anyone find vests that work on a gsp.
Sylmar has 154 reviews (4.7 out of 5 stars) on GunDogSupply.com and you will see a lot of GSPs mentioned in the reviews. I have always heard that Steve Snell is a stand up guy and if you give him a call he will be very straight forward with you. Someone previously said Sylmar will alter the vest for free too, which would help give you more of a custom fit. Alternatively, I just took my dog and one of his neoprene water vests to a seamstress next to me to get a tighter fit on his belly. She custom fit the belly of the vest in about 5 minutes for new to nothing.

Robbw

Post by Robbw » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:24 pm

My French Britt is little but has a big chest. The people at Sylmar will customize the vest for you for free. They send you the vest, you mark it and pin it accordingly and send it back. They customize it. They are very quick and awesome. I'm also surprised a Mendota would chafe under the legs given the way its made. Try adjusting the strap between the front and middle loop to change the angle around the second strap.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:24 pm

Featherfinder wrote:Nmhuntr, I have found in the past that most any belly protector ends up being a nuisance after the first hour on the ground. I have spent more time wrapping, taping, res-ecuring belly protectors than removing cholla! The other aspect is that they can get you dog hung up.
It's your call but I have a couple here you can have. ;)
I used a vest on a JRT once ( belly close to the ground and liked to run with the setters); the older GSP thought it wasn't appropriate I guess, as she grabbed the young JRT by the vest and took off! I was horrified thinking I was going to end up with a dog with 4 broken legs. In a bit the dog the dog brought the young dog back and dumped him at my feet. No vest here anymore either. :)

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:20 pm

I don't use them as I had problems with them chaffing and constantly getting stuff inside them that irritated the dogs. And have to admit I never found a real need for one other than running in a freshly cut wheat field

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:45 pm

Ask Steve Smith (PDJ) about them. Had his young pointer been wearing one it wouldn't have gotten a stick through the lungs two years ago. Cheap protection. I don't know if I've ever needed one or not, but my dog's usually wear them in the woods or around barb wire.

NEhomer

Post by NEhomer » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:10 am

gonehuntin' wrote:Mendota skid plate. Filson also makes a tough one. I have never had any problem with a dog wearing a skid plate.
My dog's cheapo vest was shot so after reading this thread I went on ebay and picked up a Mendota skid plate. It arrived yesterday; nicely made and fits securely....he was only disappointed that we didn't go to the field!

Thanks for the suggestion.