Garmin Astro 430 questions

mrelite

Garmin Astro 430 questions

Post by mrelite » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:29 am

Does anyone know if the Astro 430 can be used as a stand alone GPS unit for when you are big game hunting? Also does anyone know if the OnX hunt maps chip work in the Astro 430?

My thought was to get rid of my Oregon 600T GPS to help fund the Astro 430 and collar

Pedro

Re: Garmin Astro 430 questions

Post by Pedro » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:50 am

It has a map feature, although I've never used it. Here's the manual.

http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/ ... epage.html

mrelite

Post by mrelite » Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:44 pm

Thanks Pedro

I found out that the onX maps do work in the Astro and I also spoke to someone at Garmin and they said that the Astro GPS can be used just like my Oregon 600T, it's basically the same system, I hope the Garmin guy is correct because I'll be selling the Oregon GPS!

I still would like to hear from someone that has one what their thoughts are on using the Astro 430 as a stand alone GPS

GrayGhost

Post by GrayGhost » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:18 pm

I don't have the 430, but I do have the Astro 320, and I've used it elk hunting, my moose hunt two weeks ago, and a Boy Scout backpacking trip earlier this summer, as a GPS unit (the dog did come on the backpacking trip). When I don't have a dog with me I just use the map and trip computer function and it has worked fine for me and done fine with the maps I've used. On the 320 you can 'Pause All Tracking' which I think saves on the battery. So overall unless the 430 is a lot different than the 320 I would say that it would easily take the place of your Oregon and give you some added benefits.

bustingcover

Post by bustingcover » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:53 pm

OnX chip works and it’s well worth the money

mrelite

Post by mrelite » Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:53 pm

That's great to hear! I need the Astro for my almost one year old EP and his first season coming up, every time we go out in thick cover and lots of arroyo's I worry about losing him.

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:02 pm

They work great. Got 6 point alerts in 2 hr quail hunt. Dog in total cover 80% of the time. Probably would have missed those points without astro 430. Of coarse it takes hunters to do their job. On one point notification my grandson said, she is lying in the creek. Yes she was,, pointing 3 quail on the bank with a low belly point. Might as well get cool while those hunters catch up.

mrelite

Post by mrelite » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:34 am

Sounds like a pretty good 2 hour outing and it's awesome that your grandson was with you.

I have one getting delivered today so I have a week to figure it out and I am off to Kansas for the opener.

Anyone download the Kansas WIHA map to their Astro? I had it on my phone last year but there was times that I had no phone service which kind of left me hanging at times.

mrelite

Post by mrelite » Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:03 pm

So I got my Astro 430 and went to Kansas for the opener, the Astro worked great with the WIHA map and gave me piece of mind when I couldn't see the dog which was often, I was very happy with the purchase.

I have to give Garmin a huge shout out!!

The 3rd morning I lost the handheld in some CRP and searched for hours but did not find it. I had called Garmin while I was searching hoping there was someway to ping the signal and get a coordinate but no way possible, if I had shared with another Astro or Alpha then that handheld would know where my unit was. The Garmin Rep was very nice and tried to help as much as possible, we had talked for about a 1/2 hour and she made sure that my registration of the unit was all in order and she logged the unit as lost incase someone finds it and calls in the serial number, so I thanked her for all she had done and searched for another couple hours. Later that day I am on my way back to NM and I receive an e-mail from Garmin stating that the Garmin team talked it over and are willing to send me a refurbished unit if I didn't find my new Astro and the warranty will be the same as the unit I lost, all I have to do is call and they will send it out, I have to say I was very surprised and never expected such an offer. I called the next day and the lady had said that it will get it sent as soon as possible so that I could get back to hunting with my dog, I asked her if I could pay for the shipping and she said no worries we got it. What an awesome company!