We all go through it.

Post by Sharon » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:18 pm

the satisfaction and sadness of owning a dog

https://youtu.be/pLHcI5jn63M

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Re: We all go through it.

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:04 pm

Yes, my old girl is nearly 13 now but still gives it all she's got, though certainly there isn't much left. Hips are going, and in congenital heart failure. But she has never quit or given up on me and "bleep" if I will on her. We leave with the pup for SD We'd. and it will probably be her last trip if she finishes it. But what a run we've had.

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:22 am

Yup, my girl is now 14. I'll probably never have another like her.
I got almost 1/2 way through the video then turned it off. I may try watching the whole thing....when I'm alone.
Thank you for sharing, Sharon.

mrelite

Post by mrelite » Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:31 am

Good video, my last lab passed away in my arms and oh boy was that tough, it took me 5 years before I got another, in hindsight I should have got another one much sooner I didn't realize how much I missed and needed the companionship until I got my new pup.

Timewise65

Post by Timewise65 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:46 am

We all are blessed by the love and devotion our dogs give to us. Yes, we all go through it time and time again, and it never get's easier....

For us, we have found that getting a new pup within two or three months make us feel much better. I never looked at that as 'Replacing' our lost dog, as they are all unique unto themselves. But, we dog people love our dogs and they provide us with so much....having a new one in the house reminds us every day of all of the wonderful dog companion we have had....

Best of luck...

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:46 am

What a great video! I'm different than most guy's. When one of mine pass's I bury him or her here at home, just can't let them go! I got a whole lot of marked dog graves on my place, they are all with me still. I could not live my life with out a dog!

NEhomer

Post by NEhomer » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:23 am

My setter turns 3 in December and I'm alarmingly aware of how fast a decade goes by.

Great vid Sharon....thanks.

Settertude

Post by Settertude » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:22 pm

Yup---we love our dogs.
I have long said that dogs were specifically and purposely designed as a companion for humans.
I've lost a bunch of friends over the years and although I'd like to be able to say they are never gone--they are indeed and they always leave a hole.

I lost my Old Hemlock Bromley a few months ago to cancer at 7 years old. He was the most loving affectionate of all and a great hunter to boot.
My Tucker (Llewellin) is 11 and this may possibly be his last season afield. We will see. His rear wheels are getting tired.
It breaks one's heart to watch how hard these guys go to please and do what they are meant to do.

Everytime, we say we can't do it again and yet we do.

Puppy breath--Yup. A balm to heal the heart to be sure.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:47 pm

Featherfinder wrote:Yup, my girl is now 14. I'll probably never have another like her.
I got almost 1/2 way through the video then turned it off. I may try watching the whole thing....when I'm alone.
Thank you for sharing, Sharon.
Emma is 14. I can hardly believe it. What a fine dog she is. Little Lady is 12 in 3 weeks. We have been very blessed FF.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:13 pm

DonF wrote:What a great video! I'm different than most guy's. When one of mine pass's I bury him or her here at home, just can't let them go! I got a whole lot of marked dog graves on my place, they are all with me still. I could not live my life with out a dog!
I keep their ashes Don and am going to have them buried with me.

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:10 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:
I keep their ashes Don and am going to have them buried with me.
Me, too. Even tough guys have a right to be sentimental about some things. My wife laughs when i sing a Negro spiritual: She may be more religious, but I believe I am correct.

I looked over Jordan and what did I see
Coming for to carry me home
A band of puppies coming after me

If you get to Heaven before I do
Tell all of my dogs that I'm a coming too

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:07 pm

My brit just turned 7. Every grouse season I am unfairly hard on myself to push and push so that my dog can have as much fun as possible.

I knew that one day I would feel good about the selfless hunts I have been on, when elk season raged or my feet hurt and I needed to get firewood instead.

Fiddle was diagnosed with Mitral Valve Insufficiency about 10 days ago. On the way home from the vet, a dog on a flat bed with a horse trailer on it fell off and was killed by the trailer. They did not notice, I carried the dog off the road and called the number on the collar, they barely seemed to care. It was a rough day.

Fiddle is only 7, so heart disease was the last thing on my radar. The recommendation is to avoid exercise but I would rather my dog die happy in the field than to die the slow way. We have a big quail hunt coming up during thanksgiving. I know we are both looking forward to it. I can definitely relate to the sentiment of getting one more retrieve in. That hit me right in the feels.