dog boots? inner tubes?

oldbeek

dog boots? inner tubes?

Post by oldbeek » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:15 pm

Anyone use cut off pieces of motorcycle inner tube for dog boots. I was told tape them on and leave the toes open with some overhang for cooling and shedding of debris. Would like to hear more on this system.

SwitchGrassWPG

Re: dog boots? inner tubes?

Post by SwitchGrassWPG » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:11 am

Never used them, but here's a link showing how to make and put them on.

http://www.oknavhda.com/boots.htm

Timewise65

Post by Timewise65 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:18 am

Sorry, never heard of making your own, but this website is well known by many to have one of the best commercial boots for Gun Dogs....https://pawzdogboots.com/

I have no affiliation with them but I use them when running my dogs where sand burrs grow....

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:05 am

Personally, I hate the "bleep" things. They rub the top of the dog's toes raw so you have to put baby socks on the dog's feet to use them. They also have a powder on the inside that irritates a dog's foot so wash them off first. Just go to dogbooties.com and spend $2.50 a boot. Don't be cheap; buy a dozen then learn how to keep them on.

Timewise65

Post by Timewise65 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:21 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:Personally, I hate the "bleep" things. They rub the top of the dog's toes raw so you have to put baby socks on the dog's feet to use them. They also have a powder on the inside that irritates a dog's foot so wash them off first. Just go to dogbooties.com and spend $2.50 a boot. Don't be cheap; buy a dozen then learn how to keep them on.
I never had a problem with my dogs.....this is the first time I have read anyone comment negatively....How recently did you try them?

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:58 pm

I used them for years then about 5 years ago went to dogbooties.com.

GSP4ME

Post by GSP4ME » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:46 am

gonehuntin' wrote:I used them for years then about 5 years ago went to dogbooties.com.

Which ones do you use? They show a 500 cordura, 1000 cordura, and a toughtek9000. Which fastener - they show 3 choices there as well, and then how do you personally keep them on.

I've only ever used the Lewis Dog boots and while I've never had much of a problem with them, I'm always open to a cheaper alternative that will allow me to have extras on hand.

Thanks.

GSP4ME

Post by GSP4ME » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:52 am

Timewise65 wrote:Sorry, never heard of making your own, but this website is well known by many to have one of the best commercial boots for Gun Dogs....https://pawzdogboots.com/

I have no affiliation with them but I use them when running my dogs where sand burrs grow....
The pictures i'm seeing there basically look like balloons. While I like the idea of something that allows the dog to have a more natural feel of the ground, they don't seem like they'd hold up to rough terrain for very long at all but if youre vouching for them, I assume you've had no problems with puncture holes or rips?

Timewise65

Post by Timewise65 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:32 pm

GSP4ME wrote:
Timewise65 wrote:Sorry, never heard of making your own, but this website is well known by many to have one of the best commercial boots for Gun Dogs....https://pawzdogboots.com/

The pictures i'm seeing there basically look like balloons. While I like the idea of something that allows the dog to have a more natural feel of the ground, they don't seem like they'd hold up to rough terrain for very long at all but if youre vouching for them, I assume you've had no problems with puncture holes or rips?
I used them and had no problems. But, I am a Golden retriever guy, my dogs hunt upland as flushers, but do not cover as much ground or move as fast as upland dogs. In the water they are really good also protecting the dogs feet from sand burrs and the like....

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:51 pm

GSP4ME wrote:
gonehuntin' wrote:I used them for years then about 5 years ago went to dogbooties.com.

Which ones do you use? They show a 500 cordura, 1000 cordura, and a toughtek9000. Which fastener - they show 3 choices there as well, and then how do you personally keep them on.

I've only ever used the Lewis Dog boots and while I've never had much of a problem with them, I'm always open to a cheaper alternative that will allow me to have extras on hand.

Thanks.
I buy the 1000 orange cordura. I put one wrap of duct tape around the dog's foot, sticky side out. Then put the boot on. Then wrap up to the hock with vet wrap. Then a wrap around the vet wrap to hold it on. I split the duct tape in to 1" strips for a neater job.

mgrucker

Post by mgrucker » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:34 am

GSP4ME wrote:

Thanks.
I found that the 330 cordura stay on the longest when the dog will be stepping in water. The thicker ones don't drain very fast and once they fill up with water they are very heavy and will pull right off. I think all of mine are the Velstretch closure.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:14 pm

You have to duck tape them all or they fall off.

randomnut

Post by randomnut » Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:50 pm

I tried them last year since I couldn't get my usual lewis boots. They lasted a good hour. I taped the heck out of them, and couldn't get them to stay.

I'm going to try some of the dogbooties.com, and some I picked up at Cabelas this year.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:26 pm

randomnut wrote:I tried them last year since I couldn't get my usual lewis boots. They lasted a good hour. I taped the heck out of them, and couldn't get them to stay.

I'm going to try some of the dogbooties.com, and some I picked up at Cabelas this year.
Put one layer around the leg sticky side out, overlapping by 1". Do a second wrap same way, starting an inch down on the 1st wrap. Put on boot and squuze so it stinks to duck tape. Now, tear an 18" strip od duck rape in half so you have 2 inch wide strips 18" long. Start an inch down from boot top and put several wraps around boot and start up leg. When you run out of tape, start the 2nd strip and wrap up then down to finish. That's it. It will be nearly impossible for the boot to come off even in water.

Warrior372

Post by Warrior372 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:10 am

I tried motorcycle tubes on my dog. The problem I had was that the adhesive on the duck tape was horrible in the early cold morning weather. It did not want to stick to anything and they fell on in about 30 seconds. Lewis boots look nice, but have not used them -- GunDogSupply sells them for less then you can get the from Lewis direct. I started using a product called Pad Heal - if you look at the ingredients it reads like a moisturizing shellac for your dogs pads / webbing. I put it on before he runs and he has been doing well with it. It seems to condition the pads really well. Just make sure your dog is outside for a bit after applying, as it smells a bit like shellac too. . . .

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:18 pm

Duck Tape wrapped sticky side out on foot.

Boot Pressed in to tape.

Starting to tape up foot

Finished product