Our first JH leg!

overit2

Our first JH leg!

Post by overit2 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:43 am

So our boy Cypress (male Weim 13 months) earned his first leg this weekend with me handling him. My husband and I are very new to the sport and being that we live in suburbia and don't have easy access to land/birds-add an almost 3 month delay because of a health issue he developed-we couldn't be more proud of this accomplishment.

My husband ran him the 1st day and didn't get a leg -combo of things. I went out to the field with some other people to watch. STUPID idea-dog kept yo-yoing back to me and lost a lot of time and energy doing this. I could see dh getting flustered, he didn't call the point on time AND the blank hit the plastic and he didn't shoot again....the only thing failed on score was 'pointing'. So we deliberated on what to do the next day...since he's a titty baby -ahem sorry-momma's boy....we decided I would do it and this time he would stay back in the car and not walk to the field. That did it! Got his 1st point in the first few mins...called it, shot fired. Judges were on horseback which was fantastic- I like that so much more-it just seems more traditional and fun :) Anyways, we go for another weekend in Walhalla SC in a few weeks. Just wanted to share :)

Pics are Cyp and dad, Cyp with both of us and Cyp with his half sister who this weekend earned her JH title (also has NA II and NRD)- Proud of our Silversmith pups.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Timewise65

Re: Our first JH leg!

Post by Timewise65 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:28 am

I have run all three of my Golden Retrievers in AKC hunt tests. I learned to absolutely love doing it, whether we passed or not it was just pure fun for the dogs and my wife and I. Of course running in retriever tests vs. Upland tests is completely different, but the experience with the dogs, dog people, and others is still all fun.

After each test I ran we learned to talk with spectators who we knew to have great dogs or may we new they were pro trainers. If they watched your dog run, they will share what they think is going on and what you can do to improve training the dog. In time I found this process to be the most valuable thing about running hunt tests. Other dog people can help you grow and become a better trainer.

Have fun and good luck!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:37 pm

Congrats Overit2 ! Well done.
I remember my first JH event. I forgot to shoot the pistol. :) Judge called me back and said, " Lets try that again!"
Then there was the time I put the pistol together backwards so couldn't shoot. My dog on point is saying, "well get on with it!". The judge said, "I've never seen anyone do that before!" No ribbon for that though. :)
Great memories . Enjoy the years with your dog. Visit an American Field trial sometime. Got me hooked.

PS Just a reminder folks to learn how to edit pics on your posts. We want to enjoy them.
( I know most of us are in a state of change with Photobucket changing. )

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:28 pm

That's great :D 3 more and you have your title :!: Have Fun

overit2

Post by overit2 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:43 pm

I'd love to see a field trial! I'm assuming it's a bit more advanced/harder then hunt tests? For both dog and handler? Yeah, the pic size...wow, that was HUGE...trying to figure that sizing thing out ha~ Sorry about that!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:57 pm

Well trials are about competitions and that isn't for everyone , but I've always enjoyed watching well trained dogs work. :)

Robbw

Post by Robbw » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:25 am

Sophia, my little French Brittany got her first JH leg yesterday. We were very excited! First hunt test for both of us and I learned 4 things, know the field and walk it before the test if possible, keep moving forward, don't wait for the other people whose dog has left the country, and have fun!
Last edited by Robbw on Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:27 am

Best bet in all test levels is to stay has far from the bracemate as possible........................Cj

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:14 pm

Robbw wrote:Sophia, my little French Brittany got her first JH leg yesterday. We were very excite! First hunt test for both of us and I learned 4 things, know the field and walk it before the test if possible, keep moving forward, don't wait for the other people whose dog has left the country, and have fun!
Congrats!

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:31 pm

Way to go!