Min Size Crate for dog

Coach

Min Size Crate for dog

Post by Coach » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:01 am

Trying to size a crate for behind the 3rd row of seats in my 2009 Chevy Suburban.

3 dogs, 40lb Gordon Setter, 45lb Boxer and a 60lb GSP.

The current set up is two large crates. Setter and Boxer in one, the GSP in another. With this set up, one of the 3rd row seats needs to be folded up.

How much room do these guys need?

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: Min Size Crate for dog

Post by shags » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:36 am

I think it depends on what you’re using the crates for. Simple transport to the vet or whatever, I don’t mind stuffing my 70 pound setter into a crate that fits my 46 pounder just fine. But for long trips, and especially when the big guy has worked hard for me, he needs the next size up. I want the dogs to be able to stand up and shift position, but not have so much space that they will be slammed around in case of a collision. I don’t want them really cramped, but they don’t need to stretch out like on the sofa at home.

My plastic crates, Vari-Kennels I think, are size 400 for the big dog. The one for the smaller dog I think is intermediate.

I never have doubled up dogs, just my preference - tired or excited dogs might not tolerate being scrunched up like that.

When I had my Suburban, two hard crates went in the way back, and one went in the second row. 3 Soft side crates could be crammed in the back if we elevated them over the wheel wells.

Sure do miss that Suburban...

Coach

Post by Coach » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:51 am

This will be for long trips. We live in Idaho, but are originally from North Dakota, so we make a couple trips back a year.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:06 pm

As Shags said so well, they should be able to stand up and turn around.