Setter or Cocker?

rkappes

Setter or Cocker?

Post by rkappes » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:35 pm

Hi All!

I can't decide whether to get a setter or cocker. I'd like some input and hopefully something someone has to say and/or experienced will help me decide.

I grew up with Amercian Britts, and love'm...and eventually will get another Britt (American or French), but just want to try something different this time around.

I currently own a little mutt, she's a GSP/Springer, great little bird dog. Works as a flusher.

I mainly hunt pheasants in West Central MN but also hunt Prairie Chickens, Huns, Sharpies, and want to start hunting more Ruffies as my mother in law has a lake place with birds nearby.

Most of the time I hunt by myself or with my dad, he as a French Britt. Our current dogs work great together, if his dog goes on point I heel my dog.

For the most part I have narrowed down the kennels. For the cocker it would be Juggernaut and the setter either Paint River Lews or Northwoods Bird Dogs.

I have never hunted with a setter or cocker.

I wish I could get both, but can't.

Thanks for the input!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Setter or Cocker?

Post by Sharon » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:45 pm

"I mainly hunt pheasants in West Central MN but also hunt Prairie Chickens, Huns, Sharpies, and want to start hunting more Ruffies ." quote rkappes

setter- You've got a lot of ground to cover.

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:10 am

+1 for the Setter. For the hunting you plan to do and the fact you plan to get another Brittany, I think a Setter (pointing breed) would be the best choice. Nothing against a good field bred Cocker but in your case the Setter seems to be a better choice. Probably it comes down to whether you want a pointing dog or a flusher.

kschemenauer

Post by kschemenauer » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:15 am

I was in the same situation. I currently have a French Brittany and was looking for something "different". I spoke with numerous breeders from flushers to pointers. I was basically between a Boykin, Cocker, Small Munsterlander, French Brittany or Setter. After hunting Grouse this early fall I put a deposit down for a English Setter. I just walked away thinking I wanted another solid pointer, as to me just can't beat a Pointer locking up. When you think Grouse most think Setters and that's just where I went. There will always be the second guessing of a flusher from my end and some day I believe I will go down the road but for now I'm a "Pointer Guy".

terrym

Post by terrym » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:20 am

You hunt big country. A Setter will sweep more of it for you but close in nicely in heavier cover when needed.

Moulders Farm

Post by Moulders Farm » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:02 pm

I breed llewellin setters for several yr, & I LOVE THEM AS A HUNTING DOG & FAMILY DOG ALSO iT IS HARD TO HUNT A POINTING DOG WITH A FLUSHING DOG ESPECLEY if one is young & not trained To gether . I wount my dog to hold the point tell I am inthe right place . & there is nothing as pretty as a setter on point plus they can be trained to hunt close or run as big as the area you are hunting needs .I have gotten to old to breed them but Loved to play & train my Llewellins I also owned britts french & reg britts & had good luck with them but loved my llewellins best

JONOV

Post by JONOV » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:52 am

I have a friend that loves his Juggernaut Spaniels.

That said, for Sharptails and Huns in the Dakotas, I think I'd go with the setter.

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:47 am

Setter would be the correct choice in your situation. And I'm a Spaniel man. You might need three Cockers to cover that ground properly.
I have trained enough Setters to know the difference between Pointing and Flushing and have even own a two very nice Setters cover dogs that we hunted Grouse and Woodcock.