Garmin Collar

ddoyle

Garmin Collar

Post by ddoyle » Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:08 pm

Guys I am getting a new Vizsla pup...have had two Vizslas and know the can get "lost" in cover. So considering a Garmin collar what I am asking is which is the best one for the price. I am fine with spending money but don't like wasting money. Don't need worthless bells and whistles. Thanks!

reba

Re: Garmin Collar

Post by reba » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:01 am

I have had a Garmin Alpha 100 for a number of years 6+.

Great support and I get updates online at least once a year at no costs.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:59 pm

I've used the old 320 forever. Don't like the new one with the transmitter built in to it.

ddoyle

Post by ddoyle » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:09 pm

Thanks guys! This is exactly what I was looking for...I have quite a bit of time to decide. I know myself and I get got up with bells and whistles that I never use so love real world users!

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:36 pm

If you hunt grouse the other nice thing is that you can put topographic chips in it. Really handy getting out of the woods grouse hunting.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:07 am

Neither bells nor whistles are “worthless”...in fact, good bells especially can side an Astro quite wisely in certain areas and good whistles need good lanyards, another reason to own a whistle.
Generalizations often appear most as a great big soup ladle. :idea:

That said and post having an Astro since pup wore one on his back..’96’?, I would not be w/o any of the several iterations of the device/collar I have owned. Whether one uses all the fluff within the units or only needs a few, is for the individual to decide.
Some like touchscreens, I do not and re such as that, it might be wise to physically try on some units...just to see.
My latest 430 does not often lose signal in the grouse woods..or for long, that appears much better and likely tied to collar improvements...battery drain appears worse, that is not better.
Recharge for all has been consistently good, recharge connections have improved, to me....I think the nice thing about Grarmin may be the indication that improvements are indeed constantly in the mix..they may not be in the need mix for me but one takes good stuff along with the fluff...just the way it is.
Updating is important and for folks with slow computers, I have found that Office Depot type outfits can update and very quickly for less than $20 when last I had it done......well worth the cartage in frustration with slow Internet, for me.

Price is a poor reason to chose between any of the GPS-type units, to me.

gunguy

Post by gunguy » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:09 pm

I don't have any personal experience with Garmin's tracking collars but I recently got the sport pro and it has been awesome. My Vizsla is still too young to start collar conditioning but it has worked great on my lab this season. I really like the fact that it is multi function. It is an e-collar that does vibrate, shock, tone, light, and it is also bark collar. I have used both the tone and the light functions to locate my dog before.
Last edited by gunguy on Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

SetterNut

Post by SetterNut » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:13 pm

The Garmin units are very good. I have had them for years. But the biggest benefit is likely the level of safety it provides for your dogs.
Most people would pay way more than the cost of the system to get their dog found when lost.