Dogs vest for grouse hunting

wolski

Dogs vest for grouse hunting

Post by wolski » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:35 pm

Anyone have experience using this vest

https://www.lcsupply.com/Ten-Mile-Cloth ... fo/TMCDSV/

I know there are several good vests out there and many that may not work for my needs. My dog runs hot even when its darn cold so ventilation is necessary especially in the early half of the season. What if any vest do some of you use and recommend? My WP Griffon is all gray and brown, has perfect camoflage so I want something that makes her more visible. I do use a bell but looking for other options too.

NEhomer

Re: Dogs vest for grouse hunting

Post by NEhomer » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:14 pm

At the advice of someone here I bought the Mendota Skid Plate for my setter this year and I couldn't be more pleased. I think it would meet the needs you stated.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Mendota ... 96&bih=668

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:03 pm

What is the purpose of the vest? If it is for only visibility the one you mentioned will probably work fine. But if you want some belly protection too the vest NE homer suggests would be a better choice.

wolski

Post by wolski » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:54 pm

purpose of the vest is visibility. In 2 seasons of hunting she hasnt needed a skid plate yet. And the vest has to function on the dogs body without getting twisted around and 2) keeping her body cool and comfortable. Some sturdy looking vests such as Hurtta and Sylmer that provide too much coverage look like they would make her too warm.

Robbw

Post by Robbw » Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:31 am

I second (or third) the skid plate. Too many sharp sticks and rocks in the woods to shorten your dog's hunting season. Fits well, protects dog, plenty of ventilation, good visibility, and durable as heck. My only complaint is that the color fades a lot in a year's time.

wolski

Post by wolski » Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:02 am

second (or third) the skid plate. Too many sharp sticks and rocks in the woods to shorten your dog's hunting season. Fits well, protects dog, plenty of ventilation, good visibility, and durable as heck. My only complaint is that the color fades a lot in a year's time.

Robbw and NEHomer So even with the skid plate on her belly side and not on her upper torso this provides good visibility?

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:23 am

I’m not quite understanding the need for “visibility.”...is this due to other hunters being present and safety, your own needs or ...what am I missing?

My setters are normally pretty visible but I admit my gordon can be a bit lost at times in a dark/wet grouse woods or alders. Still, never have seen the need for extra notice re chest garments...even for setters in the snow. Just curious.

While I did witness a setter get tagged by barbed wire which a skidplate may have prevented....the devices are simply not worth their possibe cartage or trade-offs, for me.
Nice to have the option tho for folks who do find vests valuable.

wolski

Post by wolski » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:55 pm

Strictly so I can see her in the brush and forest. I do use a bell so I am looking at options.

rkappes

Post by rkappes » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:42 am

I use a Sylmar (safety yellow), great for visibility and protection. I use it year round.

Urban_Redneck

Post by Urban_Redneck » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:33 am

I use the Mendota skidplate as well, good visibility and protection.

wolski

Post by wolski » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:30 am

Thanks for all the responses. The mendota skidplate looks to be a popular choice and I will give this strong consideration

NEhomer

Post by NEhomer » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:33 pm

It's a very nice product wolski, you won't regret it. Cripes, mine was less than $40.00 from an ebay place to boot.

twistedoak

Post by twistedoak » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:24 pm

nothing wrong with the skid plate,i have and still use it in some conditions

I have a portable kibble burning stove and there are times even the skid is too much insulation
I did find a nice lightweight orange mesh type vest that vented nicely but that turned into 2 vests in a barberry bush.
since my pup is gray and brown it doesn't take long for her to disappear in gray and brown brush, orange is just a visual aid.

so I bought a few blaze orange neck gaiters ,the people type. bikers use them, fishermen down south use them for sun protection,
often they have designs or clown faces , skulls etc.

I slip it over her head and over her alpha collar.
they fit snug enough not to get caught on anything and its just enough color to let you know where the pup is.
I also apply tic spray on it and it seems to help in that area too as I do find dead tics on it