Training Org/Club primer?

EricB

Training Org/Club primer?

Post by EricB » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:16 am

Hi, I'm new to the forum, and tho' I've poked around a bit, I can't seem to find a post that would explain the different training/sanctioning organizations and what their differences are. I know there are a few different ones, but most of the references I found look a bit like alphabet soup. Looking for local groups to help bring my new hunting buddy up to speed. Thanks!

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Re: Training Org/Club primer?

Post by RayGubernat » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:30 pm

EricB -

I see you are from NJ. I escaped about 15 years ago. There are a couple of Brittany clubs in and around NJ. There are a couple of GSP clubs in the area and a couple of Vizsla clubs as well. Most of them have dual focus, show and field. The field focus is mainly toward hunt tests and field trials. However, if you join, there may well be folks within those groups who are willing to help you with your dog, especially if you are willing to help them with the running of tests and trials. The focus of these clubs is predominantly the pointing part of the equation, with the retrieving piece getting less emphasis.

There is also a Navhda chapter in NJ, which is predominantly a training group focusing on preparing dogs for the two main Navhda sponsored hunt tests. Navhda is focused more heavily on retrieving, including swimming after ducks with a lesser emphasis on the pointing aspect.

I don't know where you are located, but if you are in central or the northern part of southern NJ, the English setter club of NJ in Medford, NJ is a place where most of the active members are there for one reason...to train their bird dogs.

A lot depends on what you are trying to accomplish with your dog(s).

RayG

Urban_Redneck

Post by Urban_Redneck » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:11 am

It's hard to say what's best as no matter what type of club or organization you follow, you are on your own the other 28 or 29 days of the month.

Therefore:
Do you have training ground you can access 7 days a week or at least weekends? If not, you'll do well to seek out a club that has training grounds that are always available for member use.

Can you keep training birds at your home? If you can't, seek out a club that provides birds.

Beyond that, visit as many clubs as you can as each will have it's own flavor. Watch the dogs work and gravitate towards the folks whose dogs impress you. The folks that are most helpful are not always the most knowledgeable. Bring your dog but, leave him in the truck until someone asks to see him.

I have a minority breed and train in NAVHDA. Contrary to what was posted above, there's plenty of pointing going on :) There is the added dimension of retrieving, water work, and tracking of wounded birds. We shoot birds at NAVHDA tests and training. If you are in NJ, you are within a 2 hour drive of at least 1 NAVHDA chapter and likely, 2 or 3 in NJ, NY, and PA. Different clubs, have different personalities and casts of characters, if one chapter doesn't suit you, another might. IME, NAVHDA training has a definite undercurrent of obedience rather than training only for a flat out field (or trial) dog. You should always have the choice of what you train and never let the ugly dog people push you around, tell you your dog runs too big, or too fast 8)

If you have an AKC breed AKC runs hunt tests and I assume training days as well.

Various breed and pointer clubs are out there, they can require some legwork as most don't update their websites very often :x

Best of luck with the pup!

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:10 am

Eric:
It has been my experience that when looking for training help you are probably better off with a small local club or a NAVHDA Chapter than a breed club. Generally the small clubs have more training days, some sort of grounds to train and possibly opportunity to by birds. Sometimes the help might not be the greatest but you can work that out with experience. NAVHDA has some good training days and opportunities to learn depending on your needs some will be helpful and some not, but it will all be part of the experience and the opportunity to grow.
The breed clubs are the least helpful. Most have one or two training days a year and there is a lot of drama in breed clubs because of the different factions within the clubs and the infighting. In Minnesota the Brittney clubs are the most hunting dog friendly clubs.
Keep in mind it is all about the Journey not the destination. Learn what you can and feel free to move on when you feel you are not getting what you want.
It is all good. Enjoy your dog and the ride. It is a game you will always win....................Cj

Urban_Redneck

Post by Urban_Redneck » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:15 am

I just wanted to add... There's no law that says you can only belong to one club, you can access more training days by joining multiple clubs/chapters.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:52 am

If you want to figure out what is required in all those formats, you’d do well to find events for each in your area and go take a look. Generally, participants are willing to explain what’s going on a d to answer questions. I’ve had good results from talking to more than one person, because it’s impossible to know if someone is really knowlegable or just spouting their opinions. You can find the rules and regulations for at least some of the organizations’ functions on line, but to someone who isn’t familiar with it, it can sound like gobbledy-gook. Youtube has videos that can be helpful.

You can google each organization’s schedule...NAVHDA, NSTRA, UFTCA, etc. American Field has a schedule online at the magazine’s site, and AKC’s site has a search function to trials and tests.

This forum prpbably has someone that runs in at least one of the formats, so asking specific questions here might help too.

EricB

Post by EricB » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:04 pm

Urban_Redneck wrote: Do you have training ground you can access 7 days a week or at least weekends? If not, you'll do well to seek out a club that has training grounds that are always available for member use.

Can you keep training birds at your home? If you can't, seek out a club that provides birds.
I'm lucky enough to have access to some property I can use most of the time. Too bad I got rid of that chicken coop, though.

I think my biggest issue is going to be finding the time to train consistently. Groups are always a big motivator for me, so I suppose I'll have to connect with a local NAHVDA club. I'm keenly aware of the preference for (should I say restriction to?) Purebred dogs for most of the trial and test activity. Although I'm not after titles & such, it sure would be nice to showup with a partner that's that well trained :) .

Thanks everyone for the tips and encouragement! I know i came to the right place!!