Cold Weather Suggestions For Dog House

ohsq

Cold Weather Suggestions For Dog House

Post by ohsq » Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:24 am

Hello folks, looking for some ideas on keeping my dog house warm this winter. I have outside runs that extend into my pole barn(insulated but not heated). Dog houses are inside the building so the dogs can come in and get out of the wind and weather. Here is the problem, my Brittany will eat anything he can get his mouth on. He has eaten pieces of blankets, straw, paper. Can't bed him down with anything without him eating it. I have kept his house free of any bedding which was fine in warmer weather. Have any of you ever had this issue?? What worked for you you?? Heat Lamps?? Dog House Heater Maybe plastic heat mat Any ideas would be appreciated!!

MJB64

Re: Cold Weather Suggestions For Dog House

Post by MJB64 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:20 am

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:21 am

If the dog eats hay, it will just poop it out, like any other roughage. I personally would not worry about it, but that is just me. I actually prefer a soft, long leaf hay, like second cutting Reed Canary grass, to most any other kind of bedding.

First things first, I would make sure that the dog's kennel is only as large as it absolutely HAS to be, The larger the kennel, the more heat the dog has to generate to warm it.

I would install an elevated dog bed, the kind made from stretched canvas on a PVC pipe frame, so the dog is not laying on the cold floor, or alternatively, put and inch or two of foam insulation under the kennel to keep the floor of the kennel from contacting the cold. If you are in a truly cold area, a hound heater might be necessary, but be careful how you install it. If the dog has the ability to chew on the wiring, that could end up very badly, everything from a dead dog to a burned down barn. Also, do not button up the kennel are too tight. You need to leave ventilation, so that condensation does not form.

RayG

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:03 pm

I'm with Ray. I have one dog house for 3 dogs (Lab, Lab/GWP cross and a GSP). I put in 1 to1 1/2 ft of straw in the house and they auger in and build a nest. It gets pretty cold and windy in E. Idaho in the winter but they do fine. They do get to sleep in the house at night.

wolski

Post by wolski » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:07 pm

I would use hay straw or sawdust/shavings. dont need a heater for most dogs.

ohsq

Post by ohsq » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:09 pm

Thanks for the advice, appreciate it. Might get some hay and give that a try.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:56 pm

ohsq wrote:Thanks for the advice, appreciate it. Might get some hay and give that a try.
I don't care much for straw. It tends to break down fairly quickly and get very dusty. A long leaf hay is, I think better.

I have no doubt that your dog will eat some of it, but I strongly suspect it will quickly grow tired of an equine diet and in the meantime there will be no harm done.

RayG