Reading pedigrees Question

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:09 pm

Hello, in the rabbit hole that is searching for another brittany breeder I am looking at pedigrees again. My first time around wasn't super informed and I plan to do things differently now. I am reading some pedigrees and wonder about how much relation is too much. Here is a sire and dam in a planned breeding for 2018 that has a few repeating names, The Whiz Kid and Windtucks both pop up multiple times on great grand parents.

http://www.gundogbreeders.com/pedigree2346.html

http://www.gundogbreeders.com/pedigree3474.html

isonychia

Re: Reading pedigrees Question

Post by isonychia » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:10 pm

Also, has anyone heard of Anabella Brittanies in Utah?

What about Strutting Grouse? https://www.struttinggrousebrittanys.com/pedigrees

I also like what I am seeing with remchester and wild mtn brittanies but they give priority to competition owners and I live far away from any trials or tests so when I get time off to travel, I usually hunt.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:10 pm

Dogs that have the same sog 2,3,or even 4 times is good if the dogs doubled up on were good and normally they were and that is why you find them multiple times

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:12 pm

Thanks! I just was wondering as my current dog has had a couple of issues (heart disease at early age being one, though it may have nothing to do with genetics) and I know he had some "line breeding" but the kennel he came from is now, after 7 years since I got my pup, pretty well known and mentioned.

P.S. what does sog stand for?

MGIII

Post by MGIII » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:04 pm

isonychia wrote:Thanks! I just was wondering as my current dog has had a couple of issues (heart disease at early age being one, though it may have nothing to do with genetics) and I know he had some "line breeding" but the kennel he came from is now, after 7 years since I got my pup, pretty well known and mentioned.

P.S. what does sog stand for?
PM sent

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:03 am

Line-breeding can accent certain genetics. It has no discrimination towards positive or negative aspects. They can enhance those you like but also those you don't like. Breeding is a science all of it's own and should be left to those that truly know their stuff. There are a lot of breeders out there.
What is just as important or even more important is having a clear understanding of your aspirations for pup before you look at those breeders that produce that sort of dog?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:11 am

I know in Europe they operate on he theory that just the few know enough to breed dogs. In America we operate on a system that says the dog is yours and you can do what you want with it including breeding and the results seem to say we are right.

Ezzy

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:03 am

ezzy, I'm not pro Europe but I'm not sure I understand your comment. I appreciate that we have the freedom to do as we please however I have seen many litters that should NEVER have been. Are you saying that the profuse number of litters means that in numbers, there is bound to be something that is decent? Also, what happens when all those dogs we breed (and not just bird dogs) have issues or are substandard? I guess that's where the thriving business of Rescue comes in.
I've been involved with dogs for a good many years. If there is anything I have learned, it's that I ask for the input of those that actually know their stuff if entertaining a breeding. Haven't had a litter here in 14 years but that's immaterial. By-the-way, we were blessed with what came from that breeding!