Maps on GPS tracker (onXMaps)

Nmhuntr

Maps on GPS tracker (onXMaps)

Post by Nmhuntr » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:36 am

Has anyone used onXmaps on their Astro 320 or other Garmin tracker? I have the membership (phone app) and it is a nice app. I understand you can get a hunt chip (I assume it is the same data from the phone app but on a sim card) to use in Garmins but I am having a tough time finding a good description on how it works.

Thanks
Greg

mrelite

Re: Maps on GPS tracker (onXMaps)

Post by mrelite » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:37 pm

My on x chip works in the Astro 430 and from what I understand the 320 can take an on x map chip as well, just open the slot behind the batteries and stick it in and your ready to go.

Nmhuntr

Post by Nmhuntr » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:40 pm

So the maps I selected for my account get downloaded to a sim card that I purchase and then insert into the 320 or do I have to buy a SIM card from onX with them preloaded?

Thanks

mrelite

Post by mrelite » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:45 am

After looking into this it sure looks like you need an onXmap chip to use it with your GPS, since you have a subscription you should call onX and see if they will sell you a chip at a discount, it's worth a try! Although if you always carry your phone with you then just use the phone separately from the dogs GPS, the screen on the phone is way better then the GPS.

Nmhuntr

Post by Nmhuntr » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:36 pm

You are correct. I have to buy the huntchip card. They will give me a break and sell it to me for $90.00. Garmin has the Huntview which I believe also gives land ownership boundaries as well for $70.00. I need to do a search on the Huntview and see what the opinions on it are. Maybe I will go that route.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:06 pm

I got Xmaps for my Phone and it was a piece of crap. When it worked, it was great. But out in the boonies with no towers it didn't work and that's where I needed it. I thought it was a total waste of money. The chip would be nice with maps downloaded on it. I'd try that again.

gunguy

Post by gunguy » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:21 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:I got Xmaps for my Phone and it was a piece of crap. When it worked, it was great. But out in the boonies with no towers it didn't work and that's where I needed it. I thought it was a total waste of money. The chip would be nice with maps downloaded on it. I'd try that again.
Have you tried the "Off grid" feature? It allows you to save a map of the area you are going to be in when you have reception. Once you get out to your hunting spot you can open it up and see where you are. Your GPS function on your phone will work without reception. Its just the map that needs to load.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:00 pm

gunguy wrote:
gonehuntin' wrote:I got Xmaps for my Phone and it was a piece of crap. When it worked, it was great. But out in the boonies with no towers it didn't work and that's where I needed it. I thought it was a total waste of money. The chip would be nice with maps downloaded on it. I'd try that again.
Have you tried the "Off grid" feature? It allows you to save a map of the area you are going to be in when you have reception. Once you get out to your hunting spot you can open it up and see where you are. Your GPS function on your phone will work without reception. Its just the map that needs to load.
No, I didn't try that. It was about two years ago in SD and I got so frustrated I just let my subscription expire.

mgrucker

Post by mgrucker » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:17 pm

Nmhuntr wrote:You are correct. I have to buy the huntchip card. They will give me a break and sell it to me for $90.00. Garmin has the Huntview which I believe also gives land ownership boundaries as well for $70.00. I need to do a search on the Huntview and see what the opinions on it are. Maybe I will go that route.
One big difference, to some anyways, is that the Garmin Huntview is a routable map that will give you driving directions while the onX map is not routable. One advantage of the onX map though is that it can be updated, the Huntview you just have to buy a new one.

fourtrax

Post by fourtrax » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:22 am

I use the OnX map chip (micro sd I think) in an Alpha 100. Works nicely. In Montana hunting BMA-s I can hit the MAP Icon & it will show me the BMA boundaries as well as where I'm located within the BMA.
The OnX map chips also work well in a vehicle GPS for locating / identifying public land & other hunting areas, boat ramps, etc. Have not ttried any GPS apps in the smart phone yet.