Deer Creek Dog door?

gunguy

Deer Creek Dog door?

Post by gunguy » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:47 am

I am looking into this Spring hinged dog door for my dog house. It has been refereed to as the "Scott door." It is a spring hinged aluminum dog door that the dog must pull open from the outside and push open from the inside.
http://www.deer-creek.org/page16

Has anyone used one? I read another post on here talking about the risk of the dog getting his tail pinched on the way in.

salt creek gsp

Re: Deer Creek Dog door?

Post by salt creek gsp » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:35 am

Have used these doors for over 20 years and never had any problems.

gunguy

Post by gunguy » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:46 am

salt creek gsp wrote:Have used these doors for over 20 years and never had any problems.
Would you recommend the louvered or solid doors? I am planning on putting this on my dog house to hold warmth in during the winter. Also do you use the metal door frame with your doors?

MJB64

Post by MJB64 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:12 pm

I have used the louvered version for over twenty years. No door frame.

rinker

Post by rinker » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:55 am

I have used the louvered doors with the door frame. It worked great. They will wear the hair off of their tail a little, but I don't think it hurts them.

gunguy

Post by gunguy » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:16 pm

Thank you for the responses. I was going to get the louvered version with the door frame but would have to order directly from Deer Creek with $19.00 shipping. I ended up needing some other stuff and was able to get the solid door with free shipping from Lion Country Supply. I will update this once the door arrives and I am able to install it. I guess I will have to put some vent holes in the dog house itself. Has anyone done this and if so where is the best place not to loose excess heat? I will be using a hound heater in conjunction with the door.