Searching for my next hunting dog

3schwenk11

Searching for my next hunting dog

Post by 3schwenk11 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:53 pm

Hello everyone,
I am searching for my next hunting companion, currently I have a 3 year old GSP and shes fantastic. I want to get her a hunting companion and I am looking at all the possibilities and it gets a little overwhelming. I am looking at the Bracco Italianos and I am wondering who all has one and what are your thoughts on them. I live in Iowa and will hunt mostly pheasant, but will also get into quail, grouse, and waterfowl.

Thanks in advance for your help!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Searching for my next hunting dog

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:23 pm

When I find fantastic I try to duplicate and not start looking for something different

3schwenk11

Post by 3schwenk11 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:59 pm

ezzy333 wrote:When I find fantastic I try to duplicate and not start looking for something different
I just wanted to see what else is out there, Ive always had GSP's. Plus the looks of the Bracco intrigue my wife because she had blood hounds growing up.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:08 pm

Nothing wrong with looking for something different.
I had beagles for 20+ years and then switched to GSPs and then to setters.
The key is to choose a dog that suits your hunting pleasure.
I know nothing about Iowa and little about the Braque Francais , but if you have huge areas to cover you may want a faster moving dog.
Enjoy the search and welcome to the forum. :)

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:06 am

ezzy333 wrote:When I find fantastic I try to duplicate and not start looking for something different
Right-on! I have had many many dogs at one time I'm their companion and they are mine.

NEhomer

Post by NEhomer » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:53 am

I'll repeat my story.

Had Brittany's for years. Got my Llewelin setter and regret ever having britts. Loved 'em dearly but Llews are light years ahead imo.

Thinblueline

Post by Thinblueline » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:43 pm

NEhomer wrote:I'll repeat my story.

Had Brittany's for years. Got my Llewelin setter and regret ever having britts. Loved 'em dearly but Llews are light years ahead imo.
How so?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:43 pm

I believe that the thousands of trials and test being run that pretty much dispute your claim however I can understand that everyone has a preference and that is good

gunguy

Post by gunguy » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:34 pm

For more information on Braccos look up Dancing Duke Kennels. Ron Boehme is the owner and has been a NAVHDA judge for many years. Very knowledgeable about the versatile breeds. I'm sure he can answer any questions you have on them. He also has a podcast called The Hunting Dog Podcast and talks about his dogs all of the time on there.

3schwenk11

Post by 3schwenk11 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:38 pm

gunguy wrote:For more information on Braccos look up Dancing Duke Kennels. Ron Boehme is the owner and has been a NAVHDA judge for many years. Very knowledgeable about the versatile breeds. I'm sure he can answer any questions you have on them. He also has a podcast called The Hunting Dog Podcast and talks about his dogs all of the time on there.
Ron is actually what got me interested in the breed! I listen to the podcast all the time (its fantastic). I will definitely reach out. I was just hoping to get others opinions on them as well.

jstevens

Post by jstevens » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:10 pm

If what you are looking for is pheasants, some waterfowl and you have a pointing dog, why would you not buy a lab. I guess I'm not all that impressed with most of the breeds people buy just to be different. A lab/pointer pair is impossible to beat unless you just wanta be different.

NEhomer

Post by NEhomer » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:40 am

Thinblueline wrote:
NEhomer wrote:I'll repeat my story.

How so?
First of all, no slight intended to Britts and their owners. I loved my Britts.

My Llew has far greater prey drive, is naturally far more staunch on point, his desire to "check in" and adjust his range is better, he's more obedient and he is obsessively bonded to me like no other dog I've known. If I live long enough to own more bird dogs, they will be setters.

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:24 am

I have only owned 3 britts but I found their prey drive to be very high even though all 3 came from different "lines." Their prey drive was at least as high as any of the several GSP's I've owned.

The bracco is a breed I like even though it's rather heavy "houndy" look did not at first appeal to me. Like with most other breeds, I've seen some very good hunting bracco's and also some rather poor ones. I think a lot depends on the "line" a pup is bought from.

A friend of mine very recently bought a bracco pup because his wife fancied one. At just under 6 months old he says she is a good bit slower than his spaniels to learn just about anything but that she loves to retrieve. I've advised him not to do any heelwork training with her and precious little strict obedience of any kind until she has began to move well out from him to try to find birds. I did this in line with my old saying of ...." Don't teach a dog to stop until it has taught itself to go."

I have a feeling the bracco is a breed that needs rather sensitive training when they are pups if they are to reach their full potential.

Bill T.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:25 am

gunguy wrote:For more information on Braccos look up Dancing Duke Kennels. Ron Boehme is the owner and has been a NAVHDA judge for many years. Very knowledgeable about the versatile breeds. I'm sure he can answer any questions you have on them. He also has a podcast called The Hunting Dog Podcast and talks about his dogs all of the time on there.
I was curios so I tried looking at his site. Have to have permission to get on it!

gunguy

Post by gunguy » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:34 am

DonF wrote:
I was curios so I tried looking at his site. Have to have permission to get on it!
I just tried to look at the site and I got the same thing. Looks like a server problem. I have been on there before. I would check back in a few days or look him up on facebook.

3schwenk11

Post by 3schwenk11 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:05 am

Trekmoor wrote:I have only owned 3 britts but I found their prey drive to be very high even though all 3 came from different "lines." Their prey drive was at least as high as any of the several GSP's I've owned.

The bracco is a breed I like even though it's rather heavy "houndy" look did not at first appeal to me. Like with most other breeds, I've seen some very good hunting bracco's and also some rather poor ones. I think a lot depends on the "line" a pup is bought from.

A friend of mine very recently bought a bracco pup because his wife fancied one. At just under 6 months old he says she is a good bit slower than his spaniels to learn just about anything but that she loves to retrieve. I've advised him not to do any heelwork training with her and precious little strict obedience of any kind until she has began to move well out from him to try to find birds. I did this in line with my old saying of ...." Don't teach a dog to stop until it has taught itself to go."

I have a feeling the bracco is a breed that needs rather sensitive training when they are pups if they are to reach their full potential.

Bill T.
Good stuff! Thanks for your input Bill!!

Carolina Gundogs

Post by Carolina Gundogs » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:20 am

I have a friend that has several Bracco's and they are larger built dogs. The oldest of her dogs is a male that recently completed his AKC SH title but this dog could maintain an AKC MH title if the owner ever decided to commit to the training. This male could also pursue the NAVHDA UT if she decided to commit to the training. His duck search was very easily developed form what I understand. He is not an overly soft dog and surprisingly covers the ground better than I thought he would. From what I have seen, they are very nice dogs.

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:28 pm

I had Britts for over 25 years - and darn good ones too. A couple were open field trial champions - one a multiple champion. I was successful competing with those same Britts in horseback trials dominated by pointers and in covers trials dominated with setters. All my Britts were decent hunters too.
Many years ago, an owner of wonderful cover setters said to me, "Setters are.....different. You have to own one to understand."
So, as fate would have it, I lost my last champion Britt to cancer at just over 7 years of age. I also had a male pup out of her that I simply couldn't tolerate! I sold him cheap.
So, I bought a setter. Now....I get it. I wish I had started with either a setter or pointer from day one. That said, when someone wants a specific breed, I gave up trying to explain the subtle (and sometimes not-so-subtle) differences long ago. If you want what you want you should get what you want, period.
As for me, I really wish I had listened to that chap re setters so many years ago. Duuhhh.....
Last edited by Featherfinder on Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:35 pm

Understanding yourself is most often more important in choosing a dog, than the dog.
Since I do not know, I can be of no help.
Good luck.

ddoyle

Post by ddoyle » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:24 pm

Mountaineer wrote:Understanding yourself is most often more important in choosing a dog, than the dog.
Good luck.
Amen! Get the dog that works to your training method!

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:39 am

ddoyle wrote:
Mountaineer wrote:Understanding yourself is most often more important in choosing a dog, than the dog.
Good luck.
Amen! Get the dog that works to your training method!
Get the dog you think you want and make your training method fit the dog.
It never hurts to broaden your horizons. That is how we learn about dogs and to understand ourselves...............Cj

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:00 am

OP...dog choice is about more than training.
It...can...be about what you hunt, how you like to hunt, the cover you run, where the dog will live within your Life, family realities, dogs already in the mix and their genders, etc...along with our own experience, preference, desire for a new or a next, desire for a particular or a personal tradition....training and ease of training or ease of dog forgiveness of our mistakes, et al certainly enter as well...naturally.
Good luck with finding a Bracco....it sounds like you have 2+ years or so of experience with them already.

To join the message board toot of “what I like”...then....smaller, zipper Coverdog setters, Gordons...or, an english pointer.
I have found the depth and width of the hunting genetic pool varies with each and all of anyof ‘em...so if you wish to dive in....consider more than just the look of the water or the wish to take a dip.
Or, Cannonball Away!

*I will opine that finding a dog a “companion” is a bit farther down the list of reasons...for another.

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:04 am

Well said Mountaineer. Or, as we like to say, "It's hard to tell the depth of the well by the length of the handle on the pump." :lol:
1- Cover dog setter or pointer,
2 -All the others.
And that's coming from a long time Brittany owner. Just means I'm a "thick" study.

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:00 am

Bracco's are splendid animals with great temperaments. However, they don't swim as well as a Spinone, not even close.

If that is important and you want a dog with similar attributes a Spin might better.

Ron has splendid Braccos.

3schwenk11

Post by 3schwenk11 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:13 pm

Thanks for the input everyone. I really appreciate it.

MNTonester

Post by MNTonester » Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:08 pm

as you age, a bracco might just be the ticket.

KCKLH

Post by KCKLH » Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:53 pm

Was it Ronnie hunting doves with Steve Rinella on MeatEater? If so his dogs looked legit.

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:38 pm

I have to agree. A Spinone or Bracco might be OK for me when I'm 87....if I'm still here. Watching either of these dogs work is a bit like watching paint dry.
They might make decent "meat dogs" but I don't hunt because I can't feed myself or my family.

3schwenk11

Post by 3schwenk11 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:20 pm

Featherfinder wrote:I have to agree. A Spinone or Bracco might be OK for me when I'm 87....if I'm still here. Watching either of these dogs work is a bit like watching paint dry.
They might make decent "meat dogs" but I don't hunt because I can't feed myself or my family.

Explain that if you would please.

Meller

Post by Meller » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:45 pm

Featherfinder wrote:I have to agree. A Spinone or Bracco might be OK for me when I'm 87....if I'm still here. Watching either of these dogs work is a bit like watching paint dry.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder! :D

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:11 pm

Meller, that I cannot dispute!

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:30 pm

3schwenk11, I can't help I'm setting myself up but I will answer this as sincerely as I can then, let the chips fall where they may.
Hunting over a bird dog for "ME", is about watching the dog the whole time it's working, not just when it's on point. So for one thing, that means how a dog flows rather than thumps or lopes, or canters especially in the dense grouse woods. I need that rivoting slam into point rather than a casual cautious approach that says, "Point....no....yup...nope...maybe...yup!?!?!" (typically followed by the sound of a flushing bird.) I need to see the intelligence that comes from watching a dog retool because of weather or adversity without compromising the aforementioned gems .
That idealic gait I am enamored with, makes a dog look like it is floating just above the ground - effortless yet animated, spirited yet completely under control!
That same pace/gait is what separates true grouse dogs from the occasional point that you get to walk up. Why? Because with pace and a nose to keep pace, is precisely why the birds are shocked into tucking up. The slow methodical approach provides the bird with the opportunity to analyze it's best escape route (time). When the methodical dog does lock, the wild bird is ready to flush....if it already hasn't.
I've had this same conversation with many. The outcome is always the same. You have what you enjoy. I have what I enjoy. Meller said it, "Beauty is in the eye...."
I expect a great deal from the dogs I enjoy...more than just some birds in the bag. I repeat," I don't hunt because I can't feed my family." And if I did, the dog I have tried valiantly to describe will provide better opportunities.
Yes, I have seen both the Bracco and Spinone in action.....here and in Italy.