GWP question.

TxBarley99

GWP question.

Post by TxBarley99 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:40 pm

New to this forum recently got a new GSP puppy as well. Gf wants to look into getting a german griffon pointer or a wirehair pointer but living in texas and heat raise concerns for their long hair and thick coat. Any one have any advise to look for or path to go down.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

Steve007

Re: GWP question.

Post by Steve007 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:44 am

Your girlfriend is a very smart person! :wink: :wink: However, you are using the two breed names as though they are interchangeable with identical coats. That's not correct in either instance.

Griffons are enormously more shaggy than a decently groomed (and it doesn't take much) wirehair (refers to GWP). There's a thread on this board called "grooming the GWP" (or similar), so there's no point in repeating things. Suffice to say that with even a little regular grooming, a wirehair will not have a long coat. It will rather have a tight strongly-protective coat that will resist injury far more than would a slick-coated dog. Obviously a Pointer is likely to handle heat better than any other breed, but there's more to a dog (and bird-hunting) than who handles heat best. Including keeping the gf happy. A wire with a little grooming will do fine if you're sensible. And they shed very little.

You might also research the personalities, as griffs and wires are are very different there, too. If your girlfriend will visit the breed club website (http://www.gwpca.com/ ),there's a great deal of excellent information there. There's a breeder listing and you'll certainly find some in Texas.

TxBarley99

GWP question.

Post by TxBarley99 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:01 pm

Thank you for the info. Yeah I knew there was a differance in coat and skin between the two and their temperments can vary. As far as making her happy lol thats another story. We rescued a yeae old gsp in April and got a 11 week old a month ago. And she still wants more lol. I think she wants griffon next.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

bustingcover

Post by bustingcover » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:20 pm

They get very hot. Not built for the heat imo

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:03 am

I would sure put at least 2 possibly 3 yrs between pups. Works way better.

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:42 pm

I have to agree with Mr. Jacobs. This is not a strategic time to acquire yet another pup, regardless of the motivation.
I also concur that neither breed would be my personal choice for a dog that called TX home.....absolutely no way. That said, I'm sure their are some down there. Heat tolerance is something most serious bird doggers look for in the breeding attributes of pointers and GSPs, never mind a GWP or Griffon.

averageguy

Post by averageguy » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:52 am

I have been hunting with GWPs for over 30 years now. If I lived in TX I would have a GSP due to the heat and my using the dogs for Doves, Waterfowl, Upland and Blood tracking. If I were in TX and was a pure upland bird hunter I would have an EP. Both GSPs and EPs are going to handle heat alot better than a GWP with a proper coat.

And I would wait until your GSP pup is a finished dog before getting another puppy unless you have an abnormal amount of time to devote to training, developing and hunting both dogs. I believe young dogs benefit from hunting alone alot, (mixed with hunting with other dogs some as well), so having two of them at the same time is going to require a whole lot of hunting time to do best by both of them.

averageguy

Post by averageguy » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:01 am

I have hunted with GWPs for over 30 years - Doves, Upland Birds, Waterfowl, Blood Tracking and little fur along the way. If I lived in TX I would be hunting behind a GSP from a line developed to handle heat alot better than a GWP with a proper coat. If I was a pure Upland Bird hunter in TX I would have an EP. And I agree with the advice to wait until your current GSP pup is a finished dog before acquiring another pup.