Ideas on catching quail from holding pen?

Quailtail

Ideas on catching quail from holding pen?

Post by Quailtail » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:10 am

I belong to a club that maintains quail for training and hunting. Looking for a method to catch birds out of a large holding pen other than chasing them with a dip net. Don't know if anyone else has this situation but it is a pain to try and catch 6 or 10 birds to take to the field.

Need some kind of trap to catch a few at a time without scaring the rest of them half to death. Any ideas?

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Re: Ideas on catching quail from holding pen?

Post by Mountaineer » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:49 am

5 cups Tim Hortons large/espresso shot and, lead ‘em.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:14 pm

Just create a funnel along one wall and have a cover on it you can reach through. Very simple to make.

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:49 pm

ezzy333 wrote:Just create a funnel along one wall and have a cover on it you can reach through. Very simple to make.
That's what I've seen. Just look up "quail funnel" on google or youtube (for a visual example). Put in a corner to make it easier to herd them.

Here's a link to one, just as an example. http://www.gundogsupply.com/k9k-recall- ... gIyC_D_BwE

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:47 pm

Make the actual transportable catch cage you use to release birds a part of your holding pen. Make an opening in one corner of your recall pen and insert the transportable cage with the trap door open. Herd the birds into the corner, slide down a trap door to seal the opening, drop the flap on your transportable cage and away you go. This method also ensure minimal handling of birds thereby reducing stress levels. You end up with your birds acting more like quasi-wild birds too!

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:50 pm

I have to add that Mountaineer's contributions are a tremendous source of entertainment for the most part. LOVE your input!! I can use a chuckle now and again as most of us could, I'm sure.
Thank you Mountaineer.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:21 pm

Last edited by Mountaineer on Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:38 am

OP, are you talking about a large walk-in type pen? My friend had one of those, and he had a smaller enclosed pen within the giant one, where some birds would hang out or others would fly to when he entered the big pen. Made it much easier to go there, close the door, and catch birds.

Quailtail

Post by Quailtail » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:46 pm

Thank you for the responses guys. Gave me some ideas on what to rig up. Chasing those birds around is a pain for them and me as well.

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:59 am

Come on Mountaineer...you just took my suggestion and added your name! Then, you expect me to buy you a Tim Horton's?!?!? Sorry, but as I see it you only got a small, not a large. That's coffee - just want to be clear... :oops: