Synthetic, performance upland pants?

Billinsd

Post by Billinsd » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:12 pm

What upland pants with mild briar panals are available. Something to wear in freezing rain.

Featherfinder

Re: Synthetic, performance upland pants?

Post by Featherfinder » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:44 pm

I spend MANY hours afield and far too many in nasty weather because I can't always wait out better weather. Cordura, whether as a pant panel or even a hunting boot is fine for the weekend warrior but not for the serious hunter or outdoorsperson that spends many hours afield in nasty terrain. The worst part about cordura faced pants is the fact that thorns with fine tips (wild rose, hawthorn etc.) will snag up in this product. The very tip snaps off and becomes embedded in that panel of cordura. When you get home, you find yourself scratching that red part of your skin. It is the result of that abrasion from said thorn tip. Cordura is actually worse than a decent pair of jeans, IMO. They are also useless in rainy weather.
In wet weather, I use Barbour or Outlander waxed cotton over-pants. They are light-weight, tough and comfortable. The only downside is the inherent odor of a waxed cotton garment but they absolutely work the best!
Filson single tin chaps are fine for nasty thorns but not wet/rainy weather.
Last edited by Featherfinder on Tue Dec 19, 2017 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:33 pm

first and foremost... NOTHING really works in freezing rain. Even if you are in a Helly Hansen (or similar) rubber suit which is totally waterproof...you will sweat inside it when you walk and...you will then be wet. If there is freezing rain in the forecast...pack a full set of spare clothes, including underwear, socks and footwear, and a bath towel.

The best thing I can suggest for really excellent briar protection, is a set of slightly oversized, uninsulated, cordura Bib overalls with 1000 denier leg facing panels. The thickest cordura will turn most briars including greenbrier. Even when the briars get into the crotch area, there is still a good bit of protection since there will typically be a pair of jeans under the overalls. The nylon cordura is, by its nature, water repellent. You can enhance that water repellency with Scotch brand fabric waterproofing.
I have found that cordura bibs, when treated with water repellent, will keep me fairly dry when hunting through hip high grass fields, even when those fields are covered with morning dew, or ice.

FWIW, About the best thing I have found as a topper in wet weather is a Viking rain parka. It is made with 420 denier nylon facing and is pretty waterproof, until it is punctured full of holes from briars which takes about a year, for me. It gives some decent protection from briars and such.

RayG

gsppurist

Post by gsppurist » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:33 pm

I have been hunting in all weather. If it's a weekend, I'm not working nor family commitments, I am out hunting birds til the season ends. I have been pondering this question for some time.

I have to take into account my environment. Pheasant is usually plowed fields which I hunt the creek bottoms. small amount of snags but abrasive grasses.

Chukar is more about sidehilling/scree, plum thickets and star thistle patches which require leg protection.

So far I look at the weather conditions. Above 30 degrees, I wear hiking pants (Prana zion hiking pants which repel water and dry quickly) and long underwear (Best are running tights sold at Marshalls or TF Maxx for about $10-15.) This includes rainy days. ++ on the extra clothes because almost all conditions I get wet.

In Ultracold weather which means below freezing,25 and below I usually don't have to worry about water or rain, unless I fall in a shallow creek. So Fleece lined jeans when there is no snow. In deep snow, I add snow gaiters to keep my lower legs.

Still working on the details. Looking at some extreme mountaineering pants because of scree hills out there.

If it's wet and above 30 degrees... expect to get wet, fast drying synthetic fabrics work best for me.

Hope that helps.

Hope this helps.

deke

Post by deke » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:05 pm

Found my favorite combo this year on a fluke. Columbia pants, synthetic. I bought them for golfing. Then throw chaps on top of that. Was a dynamite combo, I hunt at least 50% of my days in the PNW rain. I know it sounds dumb but it worked better than anything I have used before.

Rio

Post by Rio » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:39 am

deke wrote:Found my favorite combo this year on a fluke. Columbia pants, synthetic. I bought them for golfing. Then throw chaps on top of that. Was a dynamite combo, I hunt at least 50% of my days in the PNW rain. I know it sounds dumb but it worked better than anything I have used before.
What chaps do you prefer? I’m in Eastern Washington so don’t hunt often in the rain but it has happened twice this year! Would love a better option than what I have been doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

volraider

Post by volraider » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:04 am

Dan's Briarproof clothing works well for me. It's designed to wear over your clothes and is water and briar proof.

deke

Post by deke » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:47 am

Rio wrote:
deke wrote:Found my favorite combo this year on a fluke. Columbia pants, synthetic. I bought them for golfing. Then throw chaps on top of that. Was a dynamite combo, I hunt at least 50% of my days in the PNW rain. I know it sounds dumb but it worked better than anything I have used before.
What chaps do you prefer? I’m in Eastern Washington so don’t hunt often in the rain but it has happened twice this year! Would love a better option than what I have been doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use filson chaps, got them for 50 bucks at the outlet store years ago.