Hunting Vest features

TCS

Hunting Vest features

Post by TCS » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:32 am

I hunted South Dakota 2 years ago with a guy that had a vest on with a sleeve type gravity fed shotgun shell holder running down the lapel on each side of the vest. I finally found one similar to that called Banded Big Stone Oxford upland hunting vest. Has anyone used a vest with this feature? If so, does it keep the shells in very well or do some fall out on the ground?
Are there any other brands out there with this feature or have I found the only one?

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Re: Hunting Vest features

Post by gonehuntin' » Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:26 pm

Why would you want it? I've never found a need to instantly reload a shotgun. I find it hard to believe it's much faster than grabbing three shells from your pocket. Guess I'd have to see it but makes no sense to me.

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Wed Dec 20, 2017 4:02 pm

Columbia use to make a vest like that but not any more. Guess it wasn't have popular or functional. Like TCS said, just as easy to reach in your pocket. Plus one less thing to break.

MJB64

Post by MJB64 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:05 pm

They look like udders. :D

Mike

Bedight

Post by Bedight » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:14 pm

Although I have rarely had the need to reload quickly, I have found that many vest pockets are too small for my hands, with or without gloves to access quickly. The pocket flaps are usually velcro and are hard to open, and if the flap is left tucked in I can be guaranteed to bend over and have all the shells fall out.
I now use two 12 gauge belt mounted shell holders that I bought from WingWorks. Mounted on the left shoulder strap, riveted on to prevent sliding, I carry two shells of bird shot and two cookie cutter slugs when I'm hunting in Griz country. Very fast and sure access.

Realistically, by the time I've shot, lowered the weapon, opened it and extracted the shells, retrieved new shells, loaded and locked and reacquired the target, any birds are way out of range, or the Griz is probably dragging my body into the brush. But having the shells readily available makes feel better so I do it anyway.

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:06 am

Look at Bucks Bags.Upland chucker vest. Big shell pockets. extra outside pocket for other gadgets. fits like a back pack with lots of support. chest belt , waist belt, back storage. I could even pack a wounded dog back to the truck with this vest. Best vest ever owned.

DougB

Post by DougB » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:50 am

I had a Columbia vest with the tubes. I cut them out. Felt like I was seeding the field with 12g shells. Also, I have different gauges. Tubes are unique for each gauge. Pockets hold any.

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:14 pm

Who needs to reload? Daily limit is 3 right? My gun holds 3 shells! :wink: :wink: :wink: :D :D

Rio

Hunting Vest features

Post by Rio » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:35 pm

dog dr wrote:Who needs to reload? Daily limit is 3 right? My gun holds 3 shells! :wink: :wink: :wink: :D :D
I’ve been know to go through a whole box of shells for a limit if 10 quail :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:24 pm

Rio wrote:
dog dr wrote:Who needs to reload? Daily limit is 3 right? My gun holds 3 shells! :wink: :wink: :wink: :D :D
I’ve been know to go through a whole box of shells for a limit if 10 quail :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Me too... im just being a smarta$$!

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:06 pm

The Columbia ones last maybe four seasons before loosening up. On the plus side, you don't have all the chaff on your shells that you get from having them in your vest pocket, thus keeping your gun cleaner.
Columbia quickloader 2
http://i.stpost.com/erez4/erez?src=Prod ... redirect=0