Crate VS X-Pen

ChiefO

Crate VS X-Pen

Post by ChiefO » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:35 am

Santa was kind enough to bless our family with an 8 week old GSP. We've been having some moderate success with potty training as long we pay close attention to her and frequently take her out. The kids (ages 6 and 7) are doing well at taking on the new responsibility of letting her out and giving her exercise each day. I am up at 4:15 to give her at least 30 minutes outside and a little play time before we get ready for work. In the evenings the kids take her out two or three times to run and chase each other and I give her one final long walk/run about 15 minutes before bedtime to tire her out. I started her out sleeping in a large crate but realized that it was too large and didn't giver her a good sense of security. I purchased a smaller crate and have been feeding her in it as well as tossing a few treats while teaching "kennel". The first night the family go very little sleep from the sounds of what resembled a puppy massacre occurring in the sunroom...lol. Last night was better but she did have an accident in her crate which tells me I left her in too long. My question is this.

Since we are unable to have anyone home to let her out while we are gone to work for 8-9 hours each day, what is the negative of allowing her to roam inside of one of the metal exercise pens (16 square feet)? I realize that we may be going backwards on potty training, but I don't think a dog that small will do well mentally or physically in a crate for that period of time. What are my challenges going to be with this solution? Thanks for you insight and advice.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Crate VS X-Pen

Post by Sharon » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:09 pm

I assume this x pen is inside? Nothing wrong with that, but I'd bet you she will break out of the X pen soon. Make sure the x pen is in a closed room with nothing she can break out and eat - like the remote control. :)
This is a very high energy pup, if someone can get up early and tire her out in the morning that would be ideal. Even better would be if you could pay a friend/dog walker to come in at lunch and walk her fast. 8-9 hours alone is not good for a pup.
I've been in your shoes with a GSP twice; as they grow it gets nothing but better.

ChiefO

Post by ChiefO » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:48 pm

You are correct in that the X pen would be indoors. It is 42" high and I think she's got a few months before she figures out how to clear that. I hate that she has to spend that much time alone but it is the nature of our jobs right now. I feel like allowing her to play with some safe toys (Kong and such) in an X pen with some freedom will be better for her during our absence. I assume we'll have a longer potty training period given that she'll obviously have to go in our absence but I feel its better for her development in the long run.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:20 pm

n not go 8 hours at her age. give her a crate with out a door in side the excersize pen to sleep in and it will actually help her house training later. It is not ideal but it will work. I think you may be surprised how quick she climbs the pen.....................Cj

ChiefO

Post by ChiefO » Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:23 pm

Thanks CJ. I agree that our situation is not ideal but I want to do what is right by the dog. I appreciate the input.

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:04 pm

I think cj's suggestions are good. Some gsp's become escape artists. But it should work for a while. Eventually the pup will figure out that the top of the crate is half way to the top of the xpen.

ChiefO

Post by ChiefO » Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:46 pm

Good point Greg. I was already figuring on that being her initial escape plan. Luckily her current crate is short enough she can’t make that jump with the crate in the middle of the pen but she’ll outgrow the puppy mindset quick and find a way I’m sure. My hope is to condition her to better crate behavior so that she transitions to a larger crate in time and we provide a better alternative to keep everybody safe and secure.

Timewise65

Post by Timewise65 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:29 am

My last pup was out of her X-pen in two weeks....she cleared all 48" with ease, no climbing just jumping! They are a waste of money for Field Bred Dogs....

Crate training is critical to house breaking and to provide a means to transport the dog and take it overnight anywhere....

Good Luck

ChiefO

Post by ChiefO » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:13 pm

Thanks for the insight Timewise. She had a really good night last night and this morning with no accidents and little whining. I think we may be on our way to covering some ground in crate training.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:30 pm

I you have a dry place to sleep and a seperate place in the pen where she can go potty she will pretty much crate train herself. .........CJ

Timewise65

Post by Timewise65 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:55 pm

ChiefO wrote:Thanks for the insight Timewise. She had a really good night last night and this morning with no accidents and little whining. I think we may be on our way to covering some ground in crate training.
That's a 'breakthrough'.... Some dogs just 'get it' fast....others not so much! Be consistent in the crate training a before you know it the crate will be her safe place, that she will love! Then were she goes a crate must go, and she can then go anywhere with you......

ChiefO

Post by ChiefO » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:59 pm

We were pretty happy that we had that success on her third night at home.

Right now there is a 6 year old boy and a 7 year old girl trying to find out how far her batteries can go. I'm betting she sleeps well again tonight :lol:

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:48 pm

Timewise65 wrote:My last pup was out of her X-pen in two weeks....she cleared all 48" with ease, no climbing just jumping! They are a waste of money for Field Bred Dogs....

Crate training is critical to house breaking and to provide a means to transport the dog and take it overnight anywhere....

Good Luck
10 week old pup clearing 48". That's pretty amazing. In 45 years of gsp's I haven't seen that.

marysburg

Post by marysburg » Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:09 pm

I have used the x-pen and doorless crate setup as per cj's suggestion. It has worked well for us for the last 7 gundog pups and several others. The pen was 42" tall, and climbing was never an issue. The timing for a pup at Christmas, and cold weather for a few more months is going to be tough. A tired puppy is a happy puppy, and you'll have your hands full pretty soon trying to keep her tired enough to prevent her from making up her own games while she alone so much. Lots of exercise in the morning and all evening will help, but she is a high energy pup who will be spending much more time alone and penned up, than she will spend learning life lessons.

Gamedog

Post by Gamedog » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:25 pm

I just went through this with my boy. Definitely a tough first few weeks but gets better quickly.

Make sure the crate is just big enough for her to lay down in. Don't want her walking around in it as she will continue to pee and poop in it if it is too big. I ended up getting a crate that will be big enough for him when full grown, but that also comes with an adjustable panel off of Amazon for about $30 or so. 2 months in and not a single accident in the crate.

Sounds like you guys have the restroom trips pretty much dialed in. My boy would pee about every hour, and poop every 2 hours.

The biggest things are to be consistent and be patient!

Also, get her started on birds asap! Started my boy on quail right at 2 months old and he's a firecracker at 4 months. Never too early!

Have fun and enjoy the pup!