Hunting Dog and house cat relationship

PoorMansWrangler

Hunting Dog and house cat relationship

Post by PoorMansWrangler » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:23 am

Hi guys,
I have a 4 month old GSP pup, and also a year old house cat, which is declawed in the front, but still has her back claws. As the pup becomes more and more bold, I often find him playing with the cat and rolling around. I watch them very closely, and it never seems to get out of hand or too violent, and not once have I heard the cat hiss or cry out in pain. However, my girlfriend (its her cat) freaks out anytime they are playing, and gets upset with the pup. Last night was rough, apparently my pup had the cats head in his mouth, but the cat appeared fine and didnt make any noises. We have ample of places for the cat to go and escape, such as a cat tree, behind the couch, and her own gated off room where the dog can't get to her. To me personally, I would think that if the pup was hurting the cat, she would not come out of that room if he was around, and would try and stay away from him. Is their anyway I can improve the behavior between the two of them? How should I handle this going further.
Thanks

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: Hunting Dog and house cat relationship

Post by shags » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:11 am

Way back when, we had the setters and housecats combo and they played just as you describe. Often the cat would extricate its head from the dog’s jaws and then purr and rub against the dog’s legs. When the cat had enough, she’d leave. If things got too rowdy, we’d tell the dogs “enough” or “leave it” which is our command to stop whatever they’re doing.

No cats for us these past several years, so the dogs we have now aren’t used to them. An occasional feral will show up in the barn or garage, and believe me, you will know when the kitty is distressed and the dog means to harm it. The cat’s head may be in the dog’s mouth, but there is a LOT of noise and scrambling, fur and body fluids flying.

Both you and the GF can teach the dog to “leave it” when it goes near the cat. But the GF will have to drop the drama and become a dog trainer in that moment. It will be a difficulty for your dog if the cat enjoys the play activity and tempts the dog, but over time it can be done. Be aware that puppy play can turn into high prey drive later on, to the detriment of the cat, so keep an eye on how the dog interacts with the cat.

reba

Post by reba » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:10 am

The more the girlfriend reacts the worse it may get.

Tell her to chill and let them have fun.

BTW was it the girlfriend that had the poor kitty declawed?

PoorMansWrangler

Post by PoorMansWrangler » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:40 am

Thanks for the advice guys. I had the cat declawed because she was shredding furniture real bad. I think to it could be that he isn’t getting enough exercise, it’s been in the negatives the past couple weeks so we haven’t been able to get it as much. I don’t think the pup has any intention of hurting the cat, but I do not want it to escalate and him turning the cat into a chew toy. We are working on the “leave it” command, and he seems to be doing well. I am regretting getting her declawed before we had him, as I am sure a couple meetings with the cats claws and the pup would teach him to be more leery. Really the only reason I let her get a cat was the one condition that I could get a dog when we moved into the house. We will just have to keep a closer eye on the two and work on the command.

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:49 am

Easy fix. Lose the cat. :lol:

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:12 am

GSP=HUNTER

CAT=PREY

PREY=DINNER.

That's the relationship.

DougB

Post by DougB » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:04 am

If you have an adult cat and bring in a puppy, the relationship will forever be
CAT > dog.
Our last cat used to stalk and ambush the pup, and once the pup gets used to being lower on the totem pole, he stays there. The dog might hunt other cats, but the home buddy is part of the pack and can be the boss.
Dogs can adopt any species as part of the pack, not just humans. Part of why we have them.

A cat will have no problem telling off a dog that gets too rough. The dogs nose will drip blood for a while, maybe the ears also. The cat is a superb predator, well equipped with needle sharp teeth, razor sharp claws, and reflexes faster than a dogs.

Moulders Farm

Post by Moulders Farm » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:11 pm

The only cat around this farm does not live long if you keep birds to train your dogs cats & birds do not mix . so as was said before you may have to deside cat & girl friend Or bird dog

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:36 pm

The girlfriend needs to relax. That is how they play. Head in a mouth gently is normal play. I had a cat for 14 years ( sorry Feather finder :) ) and no problems.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/157633866@N05/P54452

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:47 pm

We have had cats around most of the time and what I am reading sounds like normal play. Even have had them around birds and have a friend that keeps one in his pigeon loft for mouse control.

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:27 pm

It’s always a legitimate concern, there are plenty of cat killers out there. I have always had both a cat and dog in the house and in my experience a smart dog knows who belongs and who doesn’t. My shorthair has no qualms with dispatching any type of fur but he is completely fine with our house cat and chickens. That doesn’t mean the neighbors cat or anything else on the property is safe.

KCKLH

Post by KCKLH » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:49 pm

My GSPs were all great with cats. Theyre just playing. Our first dog used my moms morbidly obese cat as a chew toy. Never hurt it. Just put her mouth around it until it meowed then let go and repeat until they get bored. Sounds like your pets play the exact same game. Let them have fun.

Bedight

Post by Bedight » Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:01 pm

My experience has been that all of my Setters, (I think I've had 12 over the last forty years) have got along well with cats that were in the house when the dogs arrived as puppies. Bringing a new cat in after the dog had established his territory never worked, the pup always tried to run off the cat, and several of those house cats over those years died in suspicious circumstances.

Except , we had several Maine Coons (even as kittens) of which all of the dogs ( and rightly so) were afraid. Of course, if you have Maine Coons your dogs will be pretty bored in the yard or pasture, because every living creature that they like to chase under the size of a cougar will be dead, and probably eaten.

When my dogs got older 9, 10,ish they became very cranky about the cats pestering them, and often drew blood in confronations with the cats. Ususally, but not always, the violence faded as the cats started to avoid the dogs, and they usually finsihed their remaining years in separately, but peacefully.

bustingcover

Post by bustingcover » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:00 pm

Let them play. When a cat doesn’t want to be bothered you KNOW it. You want them to grow up with a good relationship so you don’t have a problem on your hands.