Cover Dog Trials MI/PA

ohsq

Cover Dog Trials MI/PA

Post by ohsq » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:21 pm

Looking to attend a few cover dog trials this year, as a spectator. Would like to watch some dogs work on wild grouse/woodcock. Are there any annual trials held in in MI or PA that i could hit this spring??

Grange

Re: Cover Dog Trials MI/PA

Post by Grange » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:24 pm

Gladwin Trial grounds in MI host a lot of cover dog trials. You will see a lot of nice dogs and the walking paths are easy to follow.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:36 pm

Click on "Cover Dog Trial Schedule" in the left column.

http://www.angelfire.com/mn3/coverdog/

http://members3.boardhost.com/coverdog/

** Be in good shape. :) The dogs, the judges, the handlers , the gallery move at a quick pace over tough ground.( no horses, continuous course, only wild birds)

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:59 am

I wish they had them out here, I'd love to go to some nd see what happen's. used to think about running Bodie in them, Had him winning the Grand National in my mind. That would be super. Grand National in Mich, I think that's it. Me in Michigan and Bodie hunting in Maine! :-) "bleep" did he run! I don't know but suspect cover trials are walking trials. Did read where they are on a continuous course. I could see Stormy in them now. Him I could handle at most any distance. I think there's just not enough grouse here where getting into them works well. Either that or trial people out here are just to hung up on horseback trials. They do have walking trials near Portland but Little to far to go and have to leave my Missy Bear for several day's. maybe if I finally get her in the car without sedating her. As I understand it, cover trials are all wild bird trials. Hard to get AF people interested in walking!

Grange

Post by Grange » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:56 pm

DonF wrote:I wish they had them out here, I'd love to go to some nd see what happen's. used to think about running Bodie in them, Had him winning the Grand National in my mind. That would be super. Grand National in Mich, I think that's it. Me in Michigan and Bodie hunting in Maine! :-) "bleep" did he run! I don't know but suspect cover trials are walking trials. Did read where they are on a continuous course. I could see Stormy in them now. Him I could handle at most any distance. I think there's just not enough grouse here where getting into them works well. Either that or trial people out here are just to hung up on horseback trials. They do have walking trials near Portland but Little to far to go and have to leave my Missy Bear for several day's. maybe if I finally get her in the car without sedating her. As I understand it, cover trials are all wild bird trials. Hard to get AF people interested in walking!
Cover dog trials are normally multiple courses. On some grounds you have to drive from one course to another. An hour course is, if I remember correctly about 2.5 miles. On half hour braces you could run two braces on one hour course. Shooting dogs and most derbies and some puppy trials are all wild birds. Puppies can be run on a single course. In shooting dog the only time I've seen quail used is on a call back when birds were sparse, but normally call backs are done on a wild birds as well.

The hard to get AF people interested doesn't make sense to me as cover dog trials are AF trials.

bustingcover

Post by bustingcover » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:21 pm

DonF wrote:I wish they had them out here, I'd love to go to some nd see what happen's. used to think about running Bodie in them, Had him winning the Grand National in my mind. That would be super. Grand National in Mich, I think that's it. Me in Michigan and Bodie hunting in Maine! :-) "bleep" did he run! I don't know but suspect cover trials are walking trials. Did read where they are on a continuous course. I could see Stormy in them now. Him I could handle at most any distance. I think there's just not enough grouse here where getting into them works well. Either that or trial people out here are just to hung up on horseback trials. They do have walking trials near Portland but Little to far to go and have to leave my Missy Bear for several day's. maybe if I finally get her in the car without sedating her. As I understand it, cover trials are all wild bird trials. Hard to get AF people interested in walking!
There are tons of grouse in Oregon the problem is there’s too much cover for them so they aren’t as concentrated as they are out east. There are also a few walking trials in central Oregon at Boyce maybe one or two.

Coverdog trials are all wild birds because they are run on grouse and woodcock but they are American Foeld trials.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:47 pm

Grange wrote:
Cover dog trials are normally multiple courses. On some grounds you have to drive from one course to another. An hour course is, if I remember correctly about 2.5 miles. On half hour braces you could run two braces on one hour course. Shooting dogs and most derbies and some puppy trials are all wild birds. Puppies can be run on a single course. In shooting dog the only time I've seen quail used is on a call back when birds were sparse, but normally call backs are done on a wild birds as well.

The hard to get AF people interested doesn't make sense to me as cover dog trials are AF trials.

At Gladwin (Michigan) we call it a continuous course as you drive maybe a long block to the next starting point.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:44 am

Grange wrote:

There aren't any past the midwest, at least that I've heard of. I've only known of one AF club that put on walking stakes and they didn't really attract much, but, they were great from my point of view.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:18 am

Do you have NSTRA, US Complete, or NBHA in your area. Those are walking. I’ve watched some NSTRA and they look like a lot of fun; I know some guys around here do US Complete and like it. IIRC the US Complete trials are advertised in AF magazine. Some of the AF clubs also hold both HB and walking stakes in the same trial. Check the ads.

Grange

Post by Grange » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:23 pm

DonF wrote:
There aren't any past the midwest, at least that I've heard of. I've only known of one AF club that put on walking stakes and they didn't really attract much, but, they were great from my point of view.
Maybe I am misunderstanding what you mean by AF club, but here in WI and MN and I believe MI all the cover dog trials are hosted by AF Clubs. I don't know if any of these clubs host a horseback trial. I'm only aware of them hosting walking trials, but could be wrong. I know a AF Brittany Club in WI hosts an AF cover dog Championship trial as well as hosting horseback trials. Here in WI and MN championship trials can generate fairly large entries and bring pros from other regions, though I can't say I remember meeting anyone from out west.

I have never attended a cover dog trial east of MI so I don't know what their grounds look like, but in MI, WI, and MN other than maybe Gladwin hosting a cover dog trial from horseback would be very difficult if not impossible. Courses are often too rough or narrow for a horse. Some trials are judged from horseback, but it's common for the judge to have to dismount and walk multiple times. If judging a point it almost guaranteed the judge will have to dismount.

setterpoint

Post by setterpoint » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:11 pm

what age is the puppy trails

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:55 pm

See the chart for American Field . I assume cover dog trials requirements are the same.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/157633866@N05/8t7D8m