LSC Northwoods Long Range?

ohsq

LSC Northwoods Long Range?

Post by ohsq » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:22 am

I am in need of a new bell for my Brittany. For those of you familiar with this bell, is it small enough for an average size Britt? Does the sound carry well through the grouse woods or would there be a better choice??

DonF
GDF Junkie

Re: LSC Northwoods Long Range?

Post by DonF » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:11 pm

Ha. Before getting a tracking collar for my dogs I did get a bell, just one. Figured where I found Bodie, I'd find Squirt. And generally I would. So just got a bell for Squirt! First time I out it on him he stood still and wouldn't move at all. Next time I put it on Body and got the same result. It's laying around here some where but not a clue where. With the tracking collar on Bodie really shortened up for me in heavy cover, Seldom got out more than 1000 yds! :cry:

bonasa

Post by bonasa » Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:11 pm

Great bell,no problem hearing this bell at 250+ yards clear as day even in the thickest, windiest and many folds/ridges of new england.

Grange

Post by Grange » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:28 pm

I've got a Northwoods long range bell and it works well in the grouse woods. It is loud and and can overpower another bell if you have two dogs running together. I prefer the LCS Canadian low tone bell if they still sell it. It doesn't carry as far, but it seems to have a crisper ring on my setter. Plus it is smaller so it will fit a smaller dog like a brittany better.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:59 am

The bell is what it says....how well you hear it depends upon your own hearing,high or low tones, the cover and the weather and the dog wearing it.
I use one of them.....I also use a couple Flewelling bells.....they are smaller but a nicer tone, to me...nearing 66 with hearing issues, I pick the bell for the day.
I also pick a bell for a dog.....”long range” are not words that truly define.

They are all bells.....they are not wallet-breakers....fit & try....buy an extra....glad I had an extra in the yoop last season as I dumbly left one(the one you note) on the truck top and drove off, stuff happens.....they are just bells.
Yes, I bought another LCS...they are good bells.....just ...a...good...bell.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:35 am

bonasa wrote:Great bell,no problem hearing this bell at 250+ yards clear as day even in the thickest, windiest and many folds/ridges of new england.
I have always had this bell question. How do you find a dog 250 yards away with a bell when he is standing? Makes no difference now because I cannot hear a bell, just wondering............................Cj

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:42 am

A bell speaks loudest ....when it is quiet. :wink:

Grange

Post by Grange » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:12 pm

cjhills wrote:
bonasa wrote:Great bell,no problem hearing this bell at 250+ yards clear as day even in the thickest, windiest and many folds/ridges of new england.
I have always had this bell question. How do you find a dog 250 yards away with a bell when he is standing? Makes no difference now because I cannot hear a bell, just wondering............................Cj
Walk in the direction of the last sound normally works for me. Helps a lot if you have a hunting partner or a scout if you're in a trial to widen the field of vision. There are times when I have a heck of a time finding my dog so when hunting I will use either the locate button my ecollar or look at my Garmin. When trialing I just keep looking.

I've gotten pretty good and judging the distance of my dog based on the sound of the bell so I have a good feeling if I've walked too far or not far enough. I also get a good indication as to what my dog is doing by the sound of the bell such as if she's moving in or out, fast or slow, working scent or of course if she's on point.