Underbelly protection advice.

mailman

Underbelly protection advice.

Post by mailman » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:07 pm

My previous dog was an American Water Spaniel and my current dog is a Field Spaniel. Both have been prone to developing spotty rashes and/or infections on their bellies after being in tall grass or brush. Sometimes just running in the wet grass has produced a rash of small spotty belly sores.

Our veterinarian speculated that more often than not, the grass and brush scratch the skin which results in bacterial infection. This skin response can develop quickly after the outdoor activity. I question allergy related response or fungal infection.

In any case, I would like to find a way to shield his underbelly. Maybe just a balm, or maybe a vest. A vest will offer effective protection only if it can cover most of the area around his junk too. Any suggestions that can keep bring him home with less skin problems? Thanks.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Underbelly protection advice.

Post by Sharon » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:54 pm

Welcome to the forum. :)

This older thread might be helpful for you.

viewtopic.php?f=69&t=52632

DougB

Post by DougB » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:38 pm

Anything covering his junk will tend to gather urine. Think diaper rash. I use a Duluth Trading vest, orange on top, black on the bottom, with snaps on the top. Haven't had overheating problems, limits burrs, and makes him visible. I cut out a section of the bottom to prevent urine stains. I hunt in Minnesota, where it may be cooler than where you hunt.

MNTonester

Post by MNTonester » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:59 pm

Sylmar Dogwear has a pretty good product. I use one and it does a decent job.
http://sylmardogwear.com/health.htm

NEhomer

Post by NEhomer » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:50 am

As stated in the thread Sharon linked, I could not be more pleased with the Medota skid plate.

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:46 am

Just bought the skid plate based on those recommendations in the previous topic. I Like it, I do wander about chaffing around the male parts. I have a brittany and ordered a medium, probably could have gone with a small but it fits well. Any vest can get hung up, though my last one never did, it was a hitch hiker magnet!

NEhomer

Post by NEhomer » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:39 pm

My setter experienced no chaffing at all and he doesn't have the toughest underbelly skin. I think you'll be pleased.

Warrior372

Post by Warrior372 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:00 am

I really like the Cabelas Ripstop vest. I recently bought my growing pup a second one in a larger size because the first worked so well. They are very adjustable, protect their bellys, it helps limit burr and cheat grass collection on the rest of his body, and if / when he rolls in things like cow manure he hets most of it on his vest so I can just spray it off and throw it in the washing machine when I get home. If you have a local cabelas you can just walk in with your dog and see what size fits. http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas- ... 352806.uts.

I have a male French Brittany that is on the top of the size spectrum. A Small fit him from about 4 months to a little over 1 year old and now I have him in a Medium.

JONOV

Post by JONOV » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:35 am

Make sure that he isn't wet when he gets put up, even for a 45 minute car ride home. I had what I thought were scratches from thorns, but in reality he was wet. It was happening after duck hunts and he wore a neoprene vest, I'd take it off after walking out, put him in the car and drive home. It was contact dermatitis, spray on topical medication from the vet cleared it up.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:35 pm

Good advice Jonov!! I remove wet e collars too.