Best time of year for southern plantation hunt?

Spaniel

Best time of year for southern plantation hunt?

Post by Spaniel » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:00 pm

Most of the southern plantations use the October 1st to March 31st season. Obviously, this six-month season has a lot of variation in the habitat, the birds, the weather, and the dog's ability to scent.

In the early season, the cover is thicker and greener. The birds, if early release or surrogated, are also younger. But should be plentiful. Its unlikely that there has been a single frost yet. The weather can be very warm in October in Georgia, north Florida and South Carolina (probably 70 degrees). And that makes it hard on the dogs.

At the other end of the season, the cover will be much thinner; trampled down at places or pushed down by the occasional snow. I'm not sure about the bird numbers, but I would expect there to be many fewer. And while the cold days of January have passed, it could already be 70 degrees once again.

So what is the ideal time to book a plantation hunt? December and January? Early enough that the bird numbers should still be high, but late enough for it to be cool enough to hunt?

Thinblueline

Re: Best time of year for southern plantation hunt?

Post by Thinblueline » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:47 pm

I’d love to do a plantation hunt for quail but dadgummit those prices! I’m just a lower middle class income earner. I could never justify that kind of expense for such a hunt.