Collars revisited

isonychia

Collars revisited

Post by isonychia » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:24 am

I am looking to retire my old sport dog ecollar that has been pretty good minus the initial sending one back. I am going to eventually need a 2 dog system and want vibrate. I have narrowed it down to the tt/garmin 550 and the garmin sport pro. I have read the sport pro maybe doesn't have enough stem selection, is this true? The 550 receiver seems pretty big to go on big long hunts with. Other suggestions? I already have the new latest and greatest gps tracker so wont be going the combo route.

Featherfinder

Re: Collars revisited

Post by Featherfinder » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:22 pm

I absolutely torture my equipment. I have used the Dogtra systems (2502) for MANY years and they are reliable, VERY tough and user friendly. You might want to check out their new Pathfinder system. I might have to get one!

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:22 am

isonychia wrote: I have read the sport pro maybe doesn't have enough stem selection, is this true? The 550 receiver seems pretty big to go on big long hunts with. .
Truth is, you don't need many selections to train a dog. It's purely a sales gimmick. You can train any dog on the planet with 6-12 selections. I probably haven't used more that 9 in the last 20 years.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:34 am

gonehuntin' wrote:
isonychia wrote: I have read the sport pro maybe doesn't have enough stem selection, is this true? The 550 receiver seems pretty big to go on big long hunts with. .
Truth is, you don't need many selections to train a dog. It's purely a sales gimmick. You can train any dog on the planet with 6-12 selections. I probably haven't used more that 9 in the last 20 years.

Yep. I’ve done well with just 4 selections...#2 and #6 power at either nick or continuous. #2 two is a nudge to remind them, and #6 is full blast for trash breaking.

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:46 am

Featherfinder wrote:I absolutely torture my equipment. I have used the Dogtra systems (2502) for MANY years and they are reliable, VERY tough and user friendly. You might want to check out their new Pathfinder system. I might have to get one!
I agree with you on the Dogtra 2502 but the 2502 doesn't have a Vibrate function that the OP wants. I also don't think he is looking for a GPS unit. Just a 2-dog training unit.

I think the Garmin Sport Pro would do a good job for you. You might also look at what Dogtra has to offer in a 2-dog collar with the features you want like the 1902S.

setterpoint

Post by setterpoint » Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:33 am

i agree with gonehunting you dont need all the levels of stim.my frind said my dogs responds to level 75 and i have over a hundred levels. so that means 74 and under dont count.my dog level is two on my collars .have had to go to three when my dog gets a little hardheaded but then right back to two. now i very seldom have to use it at all.

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:33 am

My dog responds progressively to 3 different levels and then a trash breaking level, so yes, I only use 4 levels, however where those 3 levels lie on the scale of a total of 36 or whatever levels is the important part. I might stick with sportdog, that collar has been through heck and back and after 7 years of daily use the battery only needs to be charged very infrequently. I like how small the receiver is and you can't beat the price point. I would try tritronics/garmin if their receiver didn't look like a cell phone from the early 90s.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:40 pm

I've used the Dogtra 2502 B/T( 2 dog unit)) for many years. Totally reliable/tough/ reasonable price No vibrating feature, but I've never seen the need for it myself.No warnings, just do what you're told dog. :)

http://www.gundogsupply.com/dogtra-2502.html

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:44 pm

The vibration isn't a warning really, the vibration serves as the command, basically replace the whistle with the vibrate (train both, use both, but have the ability to silently command the dog to come or stay)

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:49 pm

Okay. I learn something every day. :) (Never used a whistle either. ) :)

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:18 pm

There have been times when I didn't know where my dog was but he was either out of range of my voice or didn't have an ecollar on. Long blow on the whistle and he is back. I give it to friends who watch him and tell them to use it if he ever somehow gets lost. A whistle is good insurance even if you don't use the whistle commands in the field. I really just use mine for come in situations where I am concerned. The thing about that is, even if you have an older dog who knows what is up, the whistle is a sacred command that comes with immunity from any other wrong doings :)