Potty training

Jtritz91

Potty training

Post by Jtritz91 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:20 pm

I have a 16 week old black lab, that is doing well with potty training, besides the fact that she will pee and poop in her kennel. The most she is ever in her kennel is about 3 hours at a time. I run home on my lunch break to let her out and she gets so excited to see me or just be out of the kennel that when I take her outside she just sits next to me and doesn't go to the bathroom. Then when I get home after work there is usually a present for me to clean up.

Any help would be great.
Thanks

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Potty training

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:32 pm

She can't sit next to you if you are walking

JONOV

Post by JONOV » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:49 pm

run around the yard with her and she'll probably go...

Mike da Carpenter

Post by Mike da Carpenter » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:51 pm

When excited, they forget what they went outside to do. Take her for a walk around the yard, or throw a ball a few times to get the juices flowing. Keep them active and they stay regular.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:07 pm

It helps if you don’t get ‘em all jacked up when you release them from the crate. Lots of people contribute to the problem (or cause it) by making a big fuss about being home and taking the dog out, when it’s calmer to be silent and matter of fact until the dog is outdoors and business is taken care of.

Jtritz91

Potty training

Post by Jtritz91 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:15 pm

When I take her out of the crate I do it as quite as possible to not make a big fuss. I'll have to try the walking around. Or throwing a ball

Jtritz91

Post by Jtritz91 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:03 pm

Thanks guys,

I try to make taking her out of her crate as calm as possible, but sometimes she just wants out. I really try to hammer home the praise when she goes to the bathroom outside. There wasn't a present waiting when I got home today so who knows maybe on the right track.

I tried replying earlier but when I use the tapatalk app it won't send my response.

ddoyle

Post by ddoyle » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:26 pm

Also make sure her kennel isn't over sized. Enough room to turn around is enough anymore they can get away it.

setterpoint

Post by setterpoint » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:41 am

make sure to walk her to the same place in the yard or where another dogs has gone they like to mark there turf another thing might help feed her in the kennel they dont like to go where they eat

Timewise65

Post by Timewise65 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:57 am

Number one rule for new pup's crate training, is 'make sure the dog only has room in the kennel to curl up and sleep!' Dog's generally will not pee or pooh where they sleep, so they quickly learn to hold it! That is fundamental to house breaking using a crate.

I usually put a box in the end of an oversized crate to limit space until the pup has learned to go outside. The box must be something that the dog will not chew up, since you leave the pup in the crate for long periods, be especially careful wooden boxes or cardboard are risky as the pup may chew and eat parts of them. I have a plastic box that my pups could not get a grip on to chew...but get one that you are sure the pup cannot get a grip on....

Some crates you can purchase, have a metal divider that can be moved as the pup grows...so that may be an option if you can find one that fits your crate. Obviously, this is the safest option....if you can afford it!

Finally, since your pup has already messed in his/her kennel, this creates a new problem in that he/she will smell that smell which in turn will stimulate pee and pooping in the crate! If you clean the crate really well and spray it with a cleaner made to remove the smell, from a pet store, that may help eliminate this issue, but it may take multiple cleanings to work....

Good Luck

Jtritz91

Potty training

Post by Jtritz91 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:13 pm

Thanks for all the input yesterday she was in her kennel from 9 till 3 and didn't pee or poop but today was another story. I will have to try putting the divider back in the crate. I will also pick up some cleaner. I have been using dish soap and scrubbing the heck out of it to get it clean.

Thanks again for all the input.