ACTION CAMERAS

JEFFP5217

ACTION CAMERAS

Post by JEFFP5217 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:47 pm

I recently took my 1 year old German shorthair pup out for his first quail hunt and he did amazing!! Unfortunately I was so busy watching him I never really got to take any good pics or videos and it made me realize I need an action camera. I was just wondering if anyone had any recommendations, outside of GoPro, as to a good first time cheaper alternative.

Thank You!

Grange

Re: ACTION CAMERAS

Post by Grange » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:28 pm

I probably won't be much help as I went with a Gopro, but I did purchase the "previous generation" model so my cost was quite a bit lower and thus on par with other reputable action camera brands. I was too leery to go with a cheaper off brand as I've been burned on doing that with other electronics in the past. Also Gopro does make a fairly inexpensive model without a lot of bells and whistles.

MNTonester

Post by MNTonester » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:16 pm

a few years ago I bought a Garmin Virb. It had great resolution but the shape of the camera did not lend itself to a stable mounting of the camera while out in the field - you might find yourself looking at 15 or 20 minutes of sky or ground rather than what was in front of you. I then bought a Sony A200(?). I have had issues with the remote and the camera itself. Being quite frustrated, I have ordered yet another camera an AEE S71. The reviews were good for it and it looks like a GoPro. We'll see.

skyehunter

Post by skyehunter » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:35 am

I have been running GoPro Knock offs with good success. Got a couple extra batteries, micro SD cards. Turn on / off only during a point to save battery and SD card space. Resolution is adequate for what I am doing. See examples http://www.jamiebrooks.com/StoriesVideos.html. I run 2 at a time (Me and my Son on ball caps) and my cell for still photos and some short video clips. Edit it with Adobe products.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:24 am

I have a Nikon D5000 and a D7000. 5000 is the smalest but even it is to bulky to take along hunting, I've tried it.

So I got a Nikos S6900 and a cell phone holder that goes on my belt. It is a point and shoot and it took some getting used to for me not having a view finder on it but the camera work's well. Problem for me is I either can't or don't know how to set shutter opening and speed. If your in really open country, it's no big thing unless you want a running photo of your dog. You'll get something but the faster the dog is moving, the closer to something it will be. For shots on point, they are fine. I haven't used one yet bit I would suggest some type lanyard hooked to the camera so you can drop it if necessary.

Mine came from B&H Photo in N.Y. through the refurbished dept. Unless you enjoy spending money, it's the way to go. Mine was a discontinued model is why the price was so low, they were just clearing out. I had tried a couple other cameras, a Canon and another I can't recall the name of. The Canon I found and it was very nice. Unfortunately I'd loaned it to someone from the valley and never got it back. The other was a Fugi! The Fugi was a nice camera but even turned off the lens stuck out. It did have an electronic view finder but the difference between that and an SLR finder is light years. Regardless the poor image through it, it took really nice photo's. But with the lens sticking out all the time was un-handy to carry any where on me. The best way I have found to get really nice dog photo's is with a DSLR on a set up field where I know where everything is.

As I recall, this is a set up but with the S6900 Point and Shoot.

This is a set up with a D5000. Much better to blow up if you wanted to.

This is actually a set up with a DSLR. Couldn't have made this I don't think with a Point and Shoot. Problem being I can't control shutter speed and opening and not enough range in the ISO setting's.

MSU Aggie

Post by MSU Aggie » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:43 pm

I run a Go-pro 4 silver with a head strap for most of my hunting. The aftermarket accessories for Go-pro is by far the biggest and you can find any set up you'd like. For still photos it's not the best. I'll find one of my videos and post it.

JEFFP5217

Post by JEFFP5217 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:22 pm

Thank you all for the responses at least now I have some research I can do!