How do I get dog to stop eating dead animals

Frank

How do I get dog to stop eating dead animals

Post by Frank » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:26 pm

My dog eats anything he finds out in the fields, kitchen scrapes, roadkill, anything. I got him a DT systems pa 300. It doesn't fase him. He will not stop even with it around his flank; he doesn't even act like it hurts. He does fine while on a check cord. I was wandering if the only thing to do was get a stronger collar and what you all recommended in a budget/begginer price range.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Re: How do I get dog to stop eating dead animals

Post by polmaise » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:11 pm

Now I'm just being 'Frank' for a minute ,so don't shoot the messenger .

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:37 am

polmaise wrote:Now I'm just being 'Frank' for a minute ,so don't shoot the messenger .
L*rd help the other 'Frank,' Robt., he's going to fry a dog for putting something in its mouth - i.e., let's zap the sorry b*st*rd for..."retrieving."

MG

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:08 am

IME the best you can do is call the dog off whatever he’s into. And if he’s been able to get into a bellyful, don’t allow him in the living room until he loses it from one end or the other.

Ecollar bad idea IMO. What are you going to do, fry him for gut piles, dead rats, possum poop, road kill rabbits, horse manure, and every other hundred thing dogs find tasty? Or, how about when he grabs something when he’s out of sight? You don’t want to zap a dog when you can’t see what he’s doing. Pretty soon he’ll be afraid to have anything in his mouth including his real dinner or shot birds.

It’s just something dogs do, that we don’t like...same as licking their own and their buddies’ butts and rolling in stink.

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:07 pm

Well I feel a wee bit sorry for Frank. I've had dogs that did much the same thing and I didn't like it either. I did what I could to stop it or minimise it by laying a "minefield" of edibles for those dogs. That meant I knew in advance when and where a dog was likely to transgress and could stop the eating before the dog got it's chops around it. I went for prevention rather than cure.

Did it work ? .......Not 100% but it did help a bit.

Bill T.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:07 pm

crackerd wrote:
polmaise wrote:Now I'm just being 'Frank' for a minute ,so don't shoot the messenger .
L*rd help the other 'Frank,' Robt., he's going to fry a dog for putting something in its mouth - i.e., let's zap the sorry b*st*rd for..."retrieving."

MG
'Frankly my dear' ..
Opportunity and availability when faced with allow ability is often just dawg gone wrong .

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:42 pm

Just something they do. "Leave it" is a command that is right up there with Come, Whoa/Stay, Sit, No. I say "Leave it" "Come" and use ecollar for those commands. It is NOT an avoidance ecollar use, but a primary stimulation as is used for come, etc. Shrug it off, dogs will be dogs and boys will be boys.