cost of a pup

maverick351

cost of a pup

Post by maverick351 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:29 pm

I am in Az and looking for a new pup. I am not set yet on gsp or brittany. I will not trial or compete the dog at all it will just be a family and hunting dog. I have noticed lately every breeder I talk to is $800+. I had two GREAT gsp pups I bought from different breeders a few years ago and paid less than $450 for AKC papered well known lines that had championships in them. Unfortunately due to an accident those dogs are no longer around. Why has cost almost doubled in just a couple years?

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Re: cost of a pup

Post by RayGubernat » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:27 pm

maverick351 -

Why don't you contact those same breeders you used before? If you were pleased with the pups, why not go back for more of the same? In all candor, that is what I would do.

Breeders set their own prices for their pups. FWIW, My BIL used to charge $1000 per pup for Brittanys that he bred in NJ and ...he had a waiting list. That was several years ago.

RayG

Shellottome

cost of a pup

Post by Shellottome » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:45 pm

Why don’t you go on Craigslist? Theirs backyard breeders on there. Might find an avid hunter with a litter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:34 pm

I have heard the avg cost of a dog throughout its life is about 17k. I don't mind spending a little on a pup, IF it is worth it. I talked to a breeder once trying to make a living selling dogs. That was surprising. He didn't field trial or anything and was breeding dogs for the home moreso than field. Obviously this does the breed a disservice. My point is that, if you want a dog with good genetics which requires imported breed program members, spend the money to get it. But if someone is charging enough to make a living on backyard breedings of a common breed, spend the extra money to get one delivered from a better breeder out of state.

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:37 pm

Also, 800 is par for the course now.

maverick351

Post by maverick351 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:57 pm

Ray that breeder has since stopped due to family health issues. I already tried that. Yes I am aware of backyard breeders and craigslist and backpage and all that. I was just simply curious about the cost was all. Maybe I got very lucky before with my previous purchases. I understand about good breeders and the differences vs bad ones. Meant no offense to anyone so sorry to those who it offended. Thanks for the help guys

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:58 am

isonychia wrote:I have heard the avg cost of a dog throughout its life is about 17k. I don't mind spending a little on a pup, IF it is worth it. I talked to a breeder once trying to make a living selling dogs. That was surprising. He didn't field trial or anything and was breeding dogs for the home moreso than field. Obviously this does the breed a disservice. My point is that, if you want a dog with good genetics which requires imported breed program members, spend the money to get it. But if someone is charging enough to make a living on backyard breedings of a common breed, spend the extra money to get one delivered from a better breeder out of state.
I think this is a case of painting with a brush that is way to big. Good genetics come from the dog no matter where it is bred and there are good ones from every venue.

Ezzy

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:17 am

ezzy333 wrote: Good genetics come from the dog no matter where it is bred and there are good ones from every venue.

Ezzy
Sorry Ezzy but I cannot agree with that. I don't think the good pups come only from field trial winners but I do think that if you want to breed good gundogs the dogs used to produce them should themselves be good workers. Not all "backyard breeders" have high standards where work is concerned and some of them never work their dogs at all. You take a big chance if you buy a pup from that kind of source.

Bill T.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:05 am

When I first started buying puppies the going rate for a good puppy was about $500. That same puppy would sell for a grand now. A good share of the increased cost is inflation. I fed Diamond performance, $17.00 a 40# bag. Now I pay around $50 for a 37.5 bag. Another cost is more health tests which have become more expensive. Nobody makes a living breeding $1000 puppies. unless they run a puppy mill.
Insonychia, I question why better breeding requires imported dogs. We breed some really good dogs in this country.
Austrailian Labradoodles run between $2,000 and $3,000 @ 8 weeks.That pretty much says it all........................Cj

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:11 am

It is much the same story in Britain. I paid £30, 43 years ago for a lab pup and she was the best lab I ever owned. She won tests and a few trials and was a "go anywhere - do anything" sort of lab. I did everything with her , rough shooting where she worked as a spaniel, ducks and geese from blinds, beating ...which is "spaniel work", picking-up on the big shoots , agility comps all in addition to working in "pukka" lab fashion at tests and trials. Just a few years after buying her the price for decent lab pups shot up to about £120 .....but the pups were not any better !

My now 14 months old lab pup cost £500 but only because she was the result of an unplanned mating. She has a lot of quality in her pedigree and those dogs have been winning trials.....but the cost for her very close relatives was between £800 and £1000 as puppies ! I almost fell of my perch when I heard of those prices ! :lol:

I mentioned this on another forum and said my first ever lab pup about 50 years ago had cost me the princely sum of £8 and queried whether today's pups costing 80 to 100 times as much as him were 80 to 100 times as good as him . I was told in a nice sort of way, that I'm ancient, stingy and behind the times ! :lol: :lol: I plead guilty to all 3 charges ! :lol: :lol:

Bill T.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:38 am

Trekmoor wrote:
ezzy333 wrote: Good genetics come from the dog no matter where it is bred and there are good ones from every venue.

Ezzy
Sorry Ezzy but I cannot agree with that. I don't think the good pups come only from field trial winners but I do think that if you want to breed good gundogs the dogs used to produce them should themselves be good workers. Not all "backyard breeders" have high standards where work is concerned and some of them never work their dogs at all. You take a big chance if you buy a pup from that kind of source.

Bill T.
Bill, I am smart enough to know not all dogs are great or even good from any venue, that is why I said there are some that are from any venue, not all.

Ezzy

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:48 am

cjhills wrote:When I first started buying puppies the going rate for a good puppy was about $500. That same puppy would sell for a grand now. A good share of the increased cost is inflation. I fed Diamond performance, $17.00 a 40# bag. Now I pay around $50 for a 37.5 bag. Another cost is more health tests which have become more expensive. Nobody makes a living breeding $1000 puppies. unless they run a puppy mill.
Insonychia, I question why better breeding requires imported dogs. We breed some really good dogs in this country.
Austrailian Labradoodles run between $2,000 and $3,000 @ 8 weeks.That pretty much says it all........................Cj

Some breeds that are just getting established in the US don't have a big enough gene pool here yet. French britts went through this, Broque Francais, etc. I would expect to pay more for a Braque Francais. EBs are starting to get into that overpriced pool when you see folks breeding them who don't go to France or have a test venue here they enter in and then charge $1500 just because that is what they spent on theirs. Just my two cents.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:17 am

maverick351 wrote:I am in Az and looking for a new pup. I am not set yet on gsp or brittany. I will not trial or compete the dog at all it will just be a family and hunting dog. I have noticed lately every breeder I talk to is $800+. I had two GREAT gsp pups I bought from different breeders a few years ago and paid less than $450 for AKC papered well known lines that had championships in them. Unfortunately due to an accident those dogs are no longer around. Why has cost almost doubled in just a couple years?
Ten years ago I could get a cup of Coffee in a china mug and have it served on the table for less than £1.
Now ,because it says Costa on the outside of the paper mug and I have to get it out of a machine and stand up to drink it I'm charged nearly £3 ... :lol:

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:44 am

polmaise wrote:
maverick351 wrote:I am in Az and looking for a new pup. I am not set yet on gsp or brittany. I will not trial or compete the dog at all it will just be a family and hunting dog. I have noticed lately every breeder I talk to is $800+. I had two GREAT gsp pups I bought from different breeders a few years ago and paid less than $450 for AKC papered well known lines that had championships in them. Unfortunately due to an accident those dogs are no longer around. Why has cost almost doubled in just a couple years?
Ten years ago I could get a cup of Coffee in a china mug and have it served on the table for less than £1.
Now ,because it says Costa on the outside of the paper mug and I have to get it out of a machine and stand up to drink it I'm charged nearly £3 ... :lol:
Good point Mate! :D

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:50 am

Maverik, If a family dog and hunter is all you want, you might look at rescue dogs or mix breeds. I have 3 that are not from a breeder and they fit the bill. Over 50 days of hunting this year, lots of points and flushes and those that I hit didn't get away.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:55 am

maverick351 wrote:Ray that breeder has since stopped due to family health issues. I already tried that. Yes I am aware of backyard breeders and craigslist and backpage and all that. I was just simply curious about the cost was all. Maybe I got very lucky before with my previous purchases. I understand about good breeders and the differences vs bad ones. Meant no offense to anyone so sorry to those who it offended. Thanks for the help guys
Mav -

I would say that you did in fact, get lucky with your previous puppy purchases. Shorthairs and Brittanys, as well as setters of any stripe tend to be pricier, as puppies when compared to pointers. Always were. You can still get a very well bred pointer for well under $800. I did just that two years ago. But if you want a pup from one of the other popular pointing dog breeds...it is going to cost more. If you want a well bred dog from one of the minority breeds of pointing dogs, it can get quite pricey I am told.

There is no question in my mind that the numbers of upland birds and the places to hunt them is in decline across the USA. Vast swaths of the US east of the Missisippi that once teemed with wild birds are now virtually devoid of upland birds. With fewer and fewer birds available to hunt, the numbers of bird hunters follows in decline. In states like NJ, NY, PA, CT MA, if it were not for state stockings of pheasant...there simply would not be any to hunt. In most of those states, if it were not for the population of grouse, there would be little in the way of upland birds to pursue.

Sadly, that scenario is becoming a reality in the southeast as well, it seems.

As the numbers of bird hunters declines, so too do the numbers of breeders of bird doggers that breed for their own usage and that of friends and family. This lack of supply inevitably drives up the price of hunting pups.

If you are looking for a shorthair or a Brittany to hunt over, I suggest you contact several field trial breeders and tell them what you are looking for. Fairly often, these field trailers will have several dogs in various stages of development. Typically a field trialer wants a dog with a high degree of independence and drive, with great stamina, great style that looks good moving. Only a very few dogs check off all of the boxes. Folks can only keep so many dogs, so a youngster that does not show the highest level of independence and range(which you probably don't need or want anyway), might be available.

Good luck finding a new hunting partner.

Most of the field trialers I know are quite pleased when youngsters who do not make the grade as competitive dogs end up in hunting homes. They know they will get to do what they were born and bred for.

RayG
Last edited by RayGubernat on Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Grange

Post by Grange » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:21 pm

It's possible that some breeds become the "IT" breed of the moment so puppy prices rise with the demand. It seems that the brittany breed is much more popular now that it was 10 or maybe even 5 years ago at least in this area. I remember I used think how cool it was to see a brittany in a yard or on a walk and when we saw one hunting I like to talk to the owner. Now it seems like I'm seeing brittanies all over the place. In my office alone I know of at least 5 brittany owners and half of them don't hunt or barely hunt. Based on the number of calls my parents take and the waiting list for a puppy they have is further indication that the breed is on the rise in popularity.

maverick351

Post by maverick351 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:23 pm

I will Keep an eye out to see what comes up. Yes I understand inflation has taken place and will accept that. I have yet to decide wether I wanted another gsp or maybe a brit. Thanks for all the advice.

JONOV

Post by JONOV » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:15 pm

I've seen more than a few GSP's for $5-600 on facebook classified sites.

Brittanies universally seem to cost more, and I don't think I'd want a cheap one, they do have a bit more hip displasia.

Pointers can be had for relatively cheap, and you have the added benefit of a breed that's generally quite healthy.

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:40 pm

I wish to state that I've paid (and charged) big money for dogs in the past. Nevertheless,the facts are that there are more good dogs than good homes for them(unfortunately), and there was never a time when a sensible guy couldn't find a very fine dog at an excellent price if he was willing to compromise, perhaps drive a distance to broaden his possibilities and could wait and say "no'" to the wrong dog.

'In this instance,the OP is open on breed and he doesn't want a competition dog. He may need to go with an older puppy and it may take him a while, though he certainly shouldn't compromise on OFA parents. But if he calls the hunt clubs in his area, asks and leaves his contact info or drives there and puts a "wanted" post on a bulletin board (if they have one) or at a hunting supply store and generally keeps looking, he can absolutely find a terrific dog at a great price.

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:31 pm

Paid $25. For my first shorthair, backyard litter.
Paid $1200 for my last, really nice litter.
My last is probably a better dog and much nicer looking but I harvested a lot of birds over that first old girl even tho she was a little on the ugly side.
Pretty sure my income hasn't grown 48 times in 44 years

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:38 pm

I've heard of some pretty good prices on FT washouts. Often it's not enough range which most foot hunters don't want anyway. Well bred and partly trained.

Sorry looks like I just repeated Ray

Gordon Guy

Post by Gordon Guy » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:20 pm

Raise your dogs to breeding age (with all the associated costs), get health tests (with all the associated costs) to show the health of your breeding dogs. Run your dogs and be successful in tests and or competitions (with all the associated costs) to show ability, drive and train ability and then tell me how much a puppy should cost. I know most of us do it for the fun and because were passionate about our bird dogs.

Early in my breeding days (2003) I tried to sell a litter for $350.00 a piece I ran an ad and had no interest. I wasn't going to lower the price so I raised it $50, again no interest. I raised the price another $50 to $450.00 I sold one puppy. I sold the rest of the litter for $500.00. People are funny! If a breeder doesn't think their puppies are worth it, why would a buyer think the same.

I do health tests and all my breeding dogs have trial placements, (Which is evidence that a disinterested third party said my dogs were better than the average dog) and I sell my puppies for $800.00

There are a couple breeders of Gordon's that I'm aware that don't do health tests or don't do any performance events and don't even hunt that sell their pups for the same price. They sell every one of their puppies, people are crazy! Which makes me think I should raise my prices, and so the cycle continues....

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:52 pm

Labradoodle pups over here cost more than Retrievers pups with titles in their parentage !..Mind You..Some retriever pups with Titles in their parentage are advertised for sale above the price of a pup from a Labradoodle because so ! and they are no more value to some than the other :wink:
You want sex . You pay for it . Depends what you want and what you are willing to pay , or can afford , or what you think is sexy .

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:15 pm

polmaise wrote:You want sex . You pay for it . Depends what you want and what you are willing to pay , or can afford , or what you think is sexy .
I get a volume discount.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:07 pm

Steve007 wrote:
I get a volume discount.
The loudest ain't always the best :roll: :wink:

Shellottome

cost of a pup

Post by Shellottome » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:26 pm

Maverick I have an accidental litter now on the ground. I’m in California though. If you want one for 450 you can have one.

bonasa

Post by bonasa » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:47 pm

RayGubernat wrote:
If you are looking for a shorthair or a Brittany to hunt over, I suggest you contact several field trial breeders and tell them what you are looking for. Fairly often, these field trailers will have several dogs in various stages of development. Typically a field trialer wants a dog with a high degree of independence and drive, with great stamina, great style that looks good moving. Only a very few dogs check off all of the boxes. Folks can only keep so many dogs, so a youngster that does not show the highest level of independence and range(which you probably don't need or want anyway), might be available.

RayG
greg jacobs wrote:I've heard of some pretty good prices on FT washouts. Often it's not enough range which most foot hunters don't want anyway. Well bred and partly trained.

Sorry looks like I just repeated Ray
+3

maverick351

Post by maverick351 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:57 am

Shellottome I sent you an email

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:50 am

One thing I forgot to mention, is the stud fee. If you go with a outside stud dog, which you need to do occasionally, the price is going up dramatically.
A decent titled stud dog fee will be a minimum of a grand and goes up fast from there. If you get a good sized litter that is not so bad. But a small can cost you 2 or 3 hundred dollars a puppy. If you put a few titles on your own dog it can still cost that much or a lot more if you only breed a couple litters a year.........Cj

MGIII

cost of a pup

Post by MGIII » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:14 pm

Shellottome wrote:Maverick I have an accidental litter now on the ground. I’m in California though. If you want one for 450 you can have one.

What kind of pups do you have?

Shellottome

cost of a pup

Post by Shellottome » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:17 pm

GSP

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:37 am

Rarely is the acquisition cost of a quality pup or young dog a issue - within reason. I just purchased a cracker of a pointer pup with HOF breeding right up close. The cost was $500. She is a gem at just 14 weeks - smart, calm, strong, clean, very well put-together, self confident, with a pedigree that is money.
I have often tried to figure out why folk pay twice the money for half the dog. Still don't have the answer, sorry.
The price of a pup is dependent on what the market will bare. Perhaps we need to take a closer at "the market" rather than the dogs?
Ray, you are spot on, again.
Last edited by Featherfinder on Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mike da Carpenter

Post by Mike da Carpenter » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:50 am

The amount spent on someone else’s dog is irrelevant. If one guy spends $400, and another spends $1500...and they are both completely satisfied, then they got their money’s worth.

Also, to point out the obvious, $400 to one guy, might feels like $5000, and $1500 to the other could feels like $20. Upfront cost only deters, or motivates the buyer. Anything said by anybody else is immaterial. Their money, their rules. Sometimes, things just need to be broke down into it’s simplest form to be able to see them clearly.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:26 am

Featherfinder wrote:Rarely is the acquisition cost of a quality pup or young dog a issue - within reason. I just purchased a cracker of a pointer pup with HOF breeding right up close. The cost was $500. She is a gem at just 14 weeks - smart, calm, strong, clean, very well put-together, self confident, with a pedigree that is money.
I have often tried to figure out why folk pay twice the money for half the dog. Still don't have the answer, sorry.
The price of a pup is dependent on what the market will bare. Perhaps we need to take a closer at "the market" than the dogs?
Feather finder
I have a bit of a problem trying to see why some people think we should breed dogs just to produce them a cheap puppy. Did you thank him for risking his bitch to give you a cheap puppy? Do you even have an idea of what goes into producing a quality litter? Do you know what his investment in his dogs in both time and money is?
Read Gordon guys post above. This is exactly how it is. Do you know that average breeder isin business for three years?
Do you think the breeder of this litter made a profit on the puppies? Do you think it is wrong for him to expect to make a profit? What happens if he loses his well bred titled female in the delivery or has to do a C section. What does he do with puppies that he don't get sold? It is due to the market that trial bred pointer puppies are cheap.
I bought a Bo sired puppy for $350. I gave him away at 8months. To me he was not worth the price.
I sold 10 puppies one year ago, on their birthday every owner text me to tell me how happy they were with their dogs. All are family/hunting dogs. Some pro trained and some owner trained. This is our goal. It does not come easy or cheap.
You are right, perhaps we should look at the market. Perhaps we should pay the pointer breeders a decent price for their puppies. Especially if they are spending the money on health tests and titles..................CJ

SCT

Post by SCT » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:26 am

Good post CJ! Most prospective puppy buyers are only concerned with the cost of the puppy. But, some people, the kind you and I like, do their homework, find a good breeder, and litter and pay what they are worth. They probably also don't spend much time considering vet bills, food costs, testing (field trials etc) or the other 100 things we as breeders care about. And, that's okay. I'm just happy to have good hunting clients that care more about the quality of the pup they're getting.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:34 am

SCT wrote:Good post CJ! Most prospective puppy buyers are only concerned with the cost of the puppy. But, some people, the kind you and I like, do their homework, find a good breeder, and litter and pay what they are worth. They probably also don't spend much time considering vet bills, food costs, testing (field trials etc) or the other 100 things we as breeders care about. And, that's okay. I'm just happy to have good hunting clients that care more about the quality of the pup they're getting.
Me to!!!!!!!!!! That is the only thing that makes it worth while......................Cj

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:41 am

Earlier today I was searching on the net for a lab for my daughter. The pup would not be required to work as a gundog so I wasn't looking for "fancy breeding." On one site I saw an ad for lab pups of no great breeding up for sale for £2000 sterling !
There was another ad for a lab pup which cost very nearly £1500 . The reason for these prices was simply colour . The £2000 pups were "silver labs" and the other pup had popped up in a litter and he had tan coloured paws.

Needless to say I will not be buying one ......but some idiot will ! I can remember when miscoloured lab pups were either given away without pedigrees or filled a hole in the ground !

Bill T.

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:20 am

Yes CJ, I do know what it takes to bring about a breeding and the ensuing litter. You and Gordon guy are spot on. There are costs that many buyers are rarely aware of and that too is OK. Why? Because the prices today are the prices today.
You can develop a healthy champion from a lineage that is rich in healthy champions. Many of us are happy NOT knowing what we have invested in the competitive side of the house - trials, NAVHDA, hunt tests, etc. I hasten to add that these same champions also make adorable companions in the home. What do you ask for this pup which also has health clearances, registration, etc. - $500, or $800 or (on the higher side) $1200, perhaps? OR, you can raise a litter of "designer dogs" with completely unknown history and get $3000 - $3500+. This is not just restricted to designer dogs. There are bird dogs and there are bird dogs. Hence my comment about "the market". In-other-words, unlike some things in our lives, the ticket price of a pup is NOT always a reflection of the value. But....they sell....and they sell for big bucks. ???
So, you have a 2017 Mustang GT that is in your estimation, fast however in all fairness, you never drove a 2017 McLaren 570 GT . Does calling your Mustang "fast" make you a liar?
Here is the anomaly for me. With dogs, you can get a McLaren for the cost of said Mustang, yet folk willingly pay 3 times+ more that for the Mustang. ????
Like the man said, there is something out there in the market for us all.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:41 am

Knew a guy years ago when I was trialing that got his first bird dog form the pound. Had to have her spayed when he got her and somehow got the paper's with her. He trialed her once just for kicks, AKC horseback trial. He won an armature gun dog stake. Wasn't long and this unwanted dog turned into a fld ch. If that wasn't bad enough he started letting his young daughter handle her and she'd beat everyone with the dog, unwanted spayed dog!

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:55 pm

DonF wrote:Knew a guy years ago when I was trialing that got his first bird dog form the pound. Had to have her spayed when he got her and somehow got the paper's with her. He trialed her once just for kicks, AKC horseback trial. He won an armature gun dog stake. Wasn't long and this unwanted dog turned into a fld ch. If that wasn't bad enough he started letting his young daughter handle her and she'd beat everyone with the dog, unwanted spayed dog!
I knew a guy who drew to an inside straight and made it. But the odds are still bad.

greg jacobs

Post by greg jacobs » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:07 pm

Don't really think even at what I paid that a breeder is making money. My last pup, took two trips to Georgia and ended up with 2 pups. I'm sure those 2 pups were 5 or 10 thousand a piece. I paid $1200. Thinking I got the best end of the deal.
One of the breeders I know trains and guides. I'm thinking he makes more at those than selling pups.

MNTonester

Post by MNTonester » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:33 pm

I knew a guy who drew to an inside straight and made it
still won't beat a Mississippi flush

JONOV

Post by JONOV » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:05 am

polmaise wrote:Labradoodle pups over here cost more than Retrievers pups with titles in their parentage !..Mind You..Some retriever pups with Titles in their parentage are advertised for sale above the price of a pup from a Labradoodle because so ! and they are no more value to some than the other :wink:
You want sex . You pay for it . Depends what you want and what you are willing to pay , or can afford , or what you think is sexy .
Yeah, same here...and Goberian's (Golden Retriever/Siberian Huskies.) Sad in some ways IMO. But then, as long as the pups go to good homes, and most folks that will fork out $1,300 for a dog should be able to provide that, there are worse things in the world.

maverick351

Post by maverick351 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:48 pm

Update guys I got a pup. Thanks for all the help

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:59 pm

Let me Guess ? ...
A maverick

JONOV

Post by JONOV » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:49 pm

Featherfinder wrote:Rarely is the acquisition cost of a quality pup or young dog a issue - within reason. I just purchased a cracker of a pointer pup with HOF breeding right up close. The cost was $500. She is a gem at just 14 weeks - smart, calm, strong, clean, very well put-together, self confident, with a pedigree that is money.
The price of a pup is dependent on what the market will bare. Perhaps we need to take a closer at "the market" rather than the dogs?
That's the long and the short of it. Its about a whole lot more than the Canine DNA you're getting, and its about more than a dog's ability to hunt.

As anyone that's taken Econ 101, or a marketing class will tell you, it's about supply and demand, and what's out there driving demand.

Labs have near universal appeal. They're an easy sell to the wife, the neighbors don't look at you funny, and they mostly have wonderful temperaments.

GSP's are "in." Jojo, the Bachelorette has one. CJ won Westminster a couple years ago. At least in my area, I see a lot of them with people with them that don't hunt. They keep them as pets because they go well with the lifestyle/look they cultivate (upscale, southern, active lifestyle.) I don't really know why a litter from a great bloodline in one venue sells for several hundred more than one from others, but they certainly seem to.

I've talked to at least one Griff breeder that deals with a lot of people that want one and don't hunt. Its hard for them, and I imagine its hard for breeders of any either "unique looking" or rare breed, to totally filter out the collectors. One DD breeder I've spoken to commented that he gets far more interest from non-hunters than ever before; the idea of their breeding and testing programs elicit interest from a clientele that they wouldn't have before.

Pointers? I've seen one pointer outside of a field trial or hunting preserve or hunting ground. One. They have a reputation, deserved or no, as creatures that live to run, unsuitable for the house, etc, etc, etc, although for most upland hunters they certainly get short shrift.

BFstl

Post by BFstl » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:07 pm

isonychia wrote:
cjhills wrote:When I first started buying puppies the going rate for a good puppy was about $500. That same puppy would sell for a grand now. A good share of the increased cost is inflation. I fed Diamond performance, $17.00 a 40# bag. Now I pay around $50 for a 37.5 bag. Another cost is more health tests which have become more expensive. Nobody makes a living breeding $1000 puppies. unless they run a puppy mill.

Some breeds that are just getting established in the US don't have a big enough gene pool here yet. French britts went through this, Broque Francais, etc. I would expect to pay more for a Braque Francais. EBs are starting to get into that overpriced pool when you see folks breeding them who don't go to France or have a test venue here they enter in and then charge $1500 just because that is what they spent on theirs. Just my two cents.

A Braque Francais will run $1600 to $1900 right now with some breeders having a 2 year/20 person wait list....

http://www.uniquegundogs.com

oregon woodsmoke

Post by oregon woodsmoke » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:51 pm

DonF wrote:Knew a guy years ago when I was trialing that got his first bird dog form the pound. ............
Yes siree! The local pound has a bunch of pitbulls available. I'm sure a nice 2 year old pitbull could be trained into a dandy bird dog, with a bit of effort.

Some of the rescues are charging multiple hundreds of dollars for muts, and they aren't bird dogs.

As my son keeps reminding me, "mom, it is 2018. Gasoline isn't 25 cents a gallon any more".

Prices of everything have gone up and that includes dogs. Dog food has doubled in price. I took a dog in for a rabies and it cost me $125. If you want a properly raised pup, the breeder has spent a lot of money on the litter. It's 2018. You are going to get a pup for what you paid 20 years ago.

DougB

Post by DougB » Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:38 am

Had a guy a few years ago report here that his pit bull did a fine job of pointing and retrieving birds. He took it along with his pointer and it learned how from the hunting dog. Pits are smart and athletic.

The mass market for dogs now is as pets. There are just more non hunters than hunters. Cute fur balls with sweet names (Teddy bear, doodle) bring more money than any but the best and proven hunting dog lines. As for the rescue, lots of good dogs from hunting lines show up. Non hunters get a high powered high drive dog and just don't know what to do with it. It takes time and effort to train a dog. Not like playing a game on a cell phone very much, and I haven't seen any apps that can actually train a dog or give it a bath after rolling in deer droppings(never happens, right). So off to the rescue. The rescue vets the dog, gives it some basic training, and finds a good home for it-sometimes with a contract that says no hunting, no kenneling, and they decide how you take care of it. Any dog s future performance is a guess. Breeders just improve the odds for you.