Pigeon Crate Box Carrier

isonychia

Pigeon Crate Box Carrier

Post by isonychia » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:56 pm

Hey all, trying to find a plastic crate type pigeon carrier for up to 12ish birds. I was looking at the ruff tough bird box but not sure about those holes in the sides or that door setup (does it even latch?) can anyone comment on these? Other than that what are my options? I see some from dogs unlimited for over $100!! I have sworn off Foys due to the cost of shipped (usually more than my order). Any help appreciated.

CDN_Cocker

Re: Pigeon Crate Box Carrier

Post by CDN_Cocker » Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:55 pm

Why don't u just get a racing basket? I'm assuming this isn't for long term housing?

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:10 pm

CDN_Cocker wrote:Why don't u just get a racing basket? I'm assuming this isn't for long term housing?
That is what I am looking for, but where can I get one? Foys seems to be about it as seigel doesn't seem to have any unless I missed them. Jedds wants to charge me about the price of the basket to ship one, so slightly less than foys but still ends up being over 100 for a plastic crate.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:40 pm

I'm in Canada so I'm not sure down there. You tried the ARPU? Do they sell supplies? I know up here the crpu sells supplies.

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:56 pm

CDN_Cocker wrote:I'm in Canada so I'm not sure down there. You tried the ARPU? Do they sell supplies? I know up here the crpu sells supplies.
They don't seem to sell them like the CRPU, at least not on the website.

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:13 pm

I just use a small petmate kennel like I ship my pups in. They will hold about 12 pigeons, has a handle on to carry them, and most farm stores carry them for under $40. If you tip it up on end so the door is on top--you can reach in and grab them very easy & hardly ever loose a bird with them flying out. You get back home, hose it out and do it again :D

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:01 pm

deseeker wrote:I just use a small petmate kennel like I ship my pups in. They will hold about 12 pigeons, has a handle on to carry them, and most farm stores carry them for under $40. If you tip it up on end so the door is on top--you can reach in and grab them very easy & hardly ever loose a bird with them flying out. You get back home, hose it out and do it again :D

I actually just threw away an old one I used for toting birds around, the sun finally ate it. Just seemed bulky, but you may be right, that might be the most economic choice really.

Bedight

Post by Bedight » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:50 pm

I've been using these for the last 3 years work great, but will only hold 8 pigeons, 4 if you are going to keep them for a few days, but they are cheap ($34) and stackable so I have three, makes them easy to carry, and clean.......[url]http://www.3tproducts.com/shop/pc/default.asp [/url.

LCS Supply has 12 pigeon boxes for $65 which I have used in the past for 10-12 years. They're fine but I found the box and 12 pigeons or Chukar too heavy to handle. Any plastic box will end up with shipping will be about $100........Wire boxes I've used were about $30 a piece but aren't very durable, are hard on the birds wings and my hands so I don't use them anymore.

MH701

Post by MH701 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:10 am

This is the one I use for pigeons. Works great. Smaller opening for putting them in and a larger side door for releasing them.

https://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplies/p ... fa7e4.html

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:44 am

I've always made my own. $3-4 decorative milk crate at Walmart. Top covered with 1/4 or 1/2 squares hardware cloth. Make a flap door that you can wire shut. Make sure you fold back edges on access hole in hardware cloth on top so you don't cut birds or your self. 3 would cost you around $20 and a little time. Another trick with my pigeons is the mark them with colorful electrical ties on their legs. By keeping track of color of tie and which leg I've flown in the field I know how to share the experience between birds.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:50 am

I've got a racing basket, FORD! Also have two I made. One is a milk crate I put a wood bottom in and the other is a wood box made of 1/2" plywood. It's similar to the one on LCS, I think its LCS. The difference is the door for releasing birds on mine is a side that folds down. To get birds in and out singly I have a long maybe 4" slot in the top covered with two pieces of inner tube that over lap in the center. There's a screened in portion front and back covered with 1/2" hardware cloth. The milk crate is about the same but no fold down release door and I doubt it'll hold a dozen birds. The wood box I had to buy hinges and a latch for but every thing else was scrounged.

Photo's

Top of this box is Jean scrap's with a bungy sewed in one edge. I love this box, better than my racing cage.

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:01 am

DonF wrote:The milk crate is about the same but no fold down release door and I doubt it'll hold a dozen birds.
It'll hold 4-6 birds, so you'll need 2 or 3 for short trips. But they are stackable. The door is for top access but there is no side access.

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:17 pm

Don I like that, and the idea for the inner tubes is a good one too, I guess you could just about line the top of a milk crate with rows of inner tubes and call it done.

Urban_Redneck

Post by Urban_Redneck » Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:25 am

I have a lightweight aluminum double decker that holds 12 pigeons. The guy I got my homers from gave it to me, it's now in serious need of a rebuild- I need to replace the top and bottoms with FRP. This thread is a good reminder 8)

It looks like the one Jedds sells for $100, nice and compact, but, chukars and pheasants (remove the divider) can flush through the stall flaps.