Red Cedar Ribbon

dandrus1022

Red Cedar Ribbon

Post by dandrus1022 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:59 pm

I’m looking for a crate bedding for my dogs when traveling in the cold weather. I was thinking of getting the cedar ribbons from lion country supply but have heard that cedar can hurt the dogs nose? Is this true and if so what do you all use?

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: Red Cedar Ribbon

Post by shags » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:54 pm

A trainer I know used them for a while in his kennels, and said he liked them. His dogs didn't seem to suffer any ill effects.

I would object to their use with my house dogs...the whole place would smell like a giant hamster cage. The scent lingers on them.

dandrus1022

Post by dandrus1022 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:19 pm

Its supposed to repel bugs so that’s why I was thinking about getting some. the straw I used this hunting season seemed to hold ticks. I cleaned out the crates once and found over 15 ticks in each crate crawling around.

SCT

Post by SCT » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:43 am

I've used cedar chips for as long as I can remember. But, my dogs are outside, and it doesn't effect their nose at all. How do I know?? My dogs out bird others in the field shhhh;-)

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:00 am

I use both hay and cedar chips. I think the red cedar helps to knock down the bugs. But, I also had occasional issues with bugs in the hay.

I now spray the hay with a bug spray( I use a horse spray) and let it sit in a large plastic bag for a few days at least. I also use the same horse spray on the inside roof surfaces of the kennels a few times a year.

Doing it this way, I feel, minimizes the dogs' physical contact with pesticides, but pretty much eliminates the bugs.

RayG

JONOV

Post by JONOV » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:40 pm

Nothing against LC Supply but you can buy pine shavings from Tractor Supply. A bale is about $8.00. Not sure the exact dimensions but it was about what they want for the $50 bale. Not as strong smelling as cedar but still smells nice.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:35 pm

TSC has bales of cedar chips too. IDK the price.
The advantage of the strips vs the chips, the strips don't cling to the dog and wind up all over everything like chips. Probably less dust too.

dandrus1022

Post by dandrus1022 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:26 pm

I’m going to go with the ribbons I think just wanted to make sure it didn’t effect there noses or respiratory system

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sat Mar 10, 2018 8:24 am

dandrus1022 wrote:I’m going to go with the ribbons I think just wanted to make sure it didn’t effect there noses or respiratory system
Just a word of caution. Not all dogs are the same. Just because my dogs do not react to cedar chips....

Cedar does not rot. That is because there is stuff in there that keeps the bugs and such at bay. Think moths and cedar chests.

I would try the cedar, because it will probably be just fine... but check out the dogs every day for signs of skin irritation. The vast majority of dogs will be just fine...but check anyway.

The aromatics in cedar will tend to concentrate in a closed in travel kennel, just as they will concentrate in a cedar chest.

As far as scenting is concerned, I also believe there is no lasting effect...at least none that I have ever noticed with my guys. I think stuff like air fresheners, many of which contain chemicals that block the ability to smell are much more likely to interfere with a dog's scenting.

RayG

dandrus1022

Post by dandrus1022 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:49 pm

Yeah I will check the dogs to make sure they don’t have a reaction to the cedar

dandrus1022

Post by dandrus1022 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:44 am

My breeder advised me to stay away from cedar...... she suggested straw or pine shavings. ive used straw as i said before and like it but it seemed to hold ticks and fleas. has anyone used pine shavings or should i just get crate covers?

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:41 pm

I have used cedar and my dogs had no adverse reaction. The only thing is my dogs are predominantly white and the cedar did stain them.
I migrated to pine chips and again, had no problem. Also no staining.
I would definitely not use straw.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:54 am

dandrus1022 wrote:My breeder advised me to stay away from cedar...... she suggested straw or pine shavings. ive used straw as i said before and like it but it seemed to hold ticks and fleas. has anyone used pine shavings or should i just get crate covers?

As I said previously, I have used cedar chips in my dogs bedding for many years with absolutely no ill effects...but every dog is different, so you have to check it out. I have used pine chips(the coarse ones, not the fine)and they have never had any reaction to that either...but pine also has tar and other aromatics in it...so you need to check the dogs also.

I would absolutely stay away from any kind of straw because it turns to dust very quickly and breathing dust is not good for dogs. also, straw breaks down into sharp little chunks which can be irritating.

There are several long leaf hays that you can use as well. Avoid alfalfa or timothy as alfalfa turns dusty very quickly and timothy breaks down almost as fast as straw. I prefer Reed Canary grass hay, second cutting, when I can get it. Long slender blades of grass that remain soft, strong and supple over a long period. used to be able to get marsh grass hay, which is the absolute best because it maintains its structure very well and does not break down... but it is simply not available to me anymore. Orchard grass ain' t bad either as long as it is fresh. Bermuda grasses are pretty soft, but they lose their loft and mat down pretty fast.

One unusual bedding material that I have seen is corrugated cardboard. One fellow I knew had a source of roll corrugated, the kind used in packing... and the time to cut it up into strips and small squares. (He used an old fashioned guillotine style paper cutter) It was awesome insulation and there was zero mess that went out with the recycling when it got wet or was changed out.

RayG

dandrus1022

Post by dandrus1022 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:03 pm

Okay thanks! I’ll try both the cedar and pine chips and see what the results are I’m sure the dogs will be fine
Last edited by dandrus1022 on Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Meller

Post by Meller » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:18 pm

I am with Ray on this one, nothing better than long stem grass hay! Straw and pine chips when I tried them both broke down into dust; anyway that was my experience.

dandrus1022

Post by dandrus1022 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:02 am

ill see if i can get some of the hay you guys are talking about