Pigeon coop and dogs in the same area?

RuttCrazed

Pigeon coop and dogs in the same area?

Post by RuttCrazed » Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:50 pm

I live in a neighborhood, so backyard space is limited, have any of you ever had your pigeon coop and dogs in the same yard? I did it once for a short time and kept the coop inside a chainlink kennel and let the dogs have run of the yard, I didn't notice any issues but it was only for a couple of months until I moved. I hunt quail every fall, would I be better off to stick to pigeons if they are in the same area, or could I raise quail in there instead and still expect the same intensity and drive from the dogs when hunting quail?

Thanks

mask

Re: Pigeon coop and dogs in the same area?

Post by mask » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:00 pm

I would not put a bird pen in the same area in which I keep my dogs.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:05 pm

I have done it for years and never saw a problem.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:00 pm

I've got three pigeon pen's in the same area I keep my dogs. But my dog's can't get under them, they sit on the ground. Two of them have outside fenced in area's and the dog's don't bother them at all! I do have friends that ome around now and then and their dog's like the pen but the birds ignore them!

RuttCrazed

Post by RuttCrazed » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:15 pm

Thanks!

GrayGhost

Post by GrayGhost » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:52 am

ezzy333 wrote:I have done it for years and never saw a problem.
I had the same issue in my last house, I had to keep my coop in the backyard with the dogs. The only problem that I ever had was that my Weim was strong enough and determined enough that she was able to peel off some of the hardware cloth into the aviary and let my Brittany get into the coop and they cleaned out a few of my birds. Once I reinforced it with some planks I've never had the that issue repeat.

The other thing I ran into was when my young birds were learning to fly, and came out of the coop for the first times my pup was able to catch them sometimes. I know you're kind of a pigeon expert Ezzy and have had them for awhile, do you not allow your birds to free fly in and out? Or do you separate the young ones out?

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:54 am

GrayGhost wrote:
I had the same issue in my last house, I had to keep my coop in the backyard with the dogs. The only problem that I ever had was that my Weim was strong enough and determined enough that she was able to peel off some of the hardware cloth into the aviary and let my Brittany get into the coop and they cleaned out a few of my birds. Once I reinforced it with some planks I've never had the that issue repeat.

The other thing I ran into was when my young birds were learning to fly, and came out of the coop for the first times my pup was able to catch them sometimes. I know you're kind of a pigeon expert Ezzy and have had them for awhile, do you not allow your birds to free fly in and out? Or do you separate the young ones out?
As for dog's catching birds as they start coming out, sounds like your re-entry door is to low. Birds landing on the ground normally don't let the dog's catch them. I know several people that had your problem with that and once they raised the re-entry door the problem pretty much went away. That' not to say that now and then the dog's can't catch even an older bird on the ground. Certainly they can. I had a couple pup's that first learned to point trying to catch birds on the ground!

GrayGhost

Post by GrayGhost » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:36 pm

DonF wrote:
GrayGhost wrote:

As for dog's catching birds as they start coming out, sounds like your re-entry door is to low. Birds landing on the ground normally don't let the dog's catch them. I know several people that had your problem with that and once they raised the re-entry door the problem pretty much went away. That' not to say that now and then the dog's can't catch even an older bird on the ground. Certainly they can. I had a couple pup's that first learned to point trying to catch birds on the ground!
Thanks Don. I had the re-entry door at about 6 ft high at the top of the coop, but maybe I should have put the coop up on more blocks to raise it higher. I think they only caught one young bird before I started lowering the bobs and only letting them out when the dogs were locked away. So maybe I made a bigger deal of it than it really was? Now the new house has a fenced off side yard for the chickens and pigeons, so everybody is safe and separated!

Bedight

Post by Bedight » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:11 pm

Never had a problem with pigeons and dogs in the same yard, after first week they ignore one another.

Tried Recall Quail ( Have 100 acre field just outside back yard). Little idiots would land in the yard instead of the coop and dogs would catch every one.

I always use pigeons until I start steady drills; then I use Chukar, stronger game scent and good fliers(and runners). Never use pen raised quail, they are just too easy to catch and won't fly far enough when flushed to prevent dog from chasing.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:00 pm

My yard is 2 acres so take that for what it's worth but I have a loft in the same yard where I let the dogs out. I also have free range chickens that will pester the dog. Anyone that has a loft is going to have it where their dogs will probably come in contact with it. It's a non issue.

RuttCrazed

Post by RuttCrazed » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:25 am

Thanks everyone!