New pup!

isonychia

New pup!

Post by isonychia » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:59 am

Excited to introduce a new addition to the family! Pretty birdy for 8 weeks!

https://youtu.be/CCAW4Ny75bg

kstater

Re: New pup!

Post by kstater » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:44 pm

I think I have seen that guy around! Maybe you could ship some pigeons to Kansas for me! :D :D

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:19 pm

Nice looking pup :D

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:47 pm

kstater wrote:I think I have seen that guy around! Maybe you could ship some pigeons to Kansas for me! :D :D
I was wondering if you were on here! I owe ya one so if you need be to I'll put them on a plane :D

MGIII

New pup!

Post by MGIII » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:51 pm

Good looking dog!

marysburg

Post by marysburg » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:00 pm

Wow, your're going to have a great summer. There's nothing cuter than a Brittany pup (we've had 3).

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Fri Apr 06, 2018 12:12 pm

Nice puppy! That bird on the ground a pigeon? Pretty good example of what pigeons do to dogs in the yard when they land. Thinking about it, I have both homer's and feral's. The feral's are definitely spookier out on the ground like that than the homer's. If you don't need birds that don't come back from about 50mi plus, ferals just may be the thing for you. If your using remote traps or any spring loaded trap for that matter, If you have any older traps, in hot weather those small traps can kill homer's before you can get them out, done it! The newer traps are bigger. I had a feral go into my homer loft one time. Looked in and it was painfully obvious which one it was, looked like a dwarf! Another difference is when your planting and either dizzying or tucking the head, ferals are much easier to work with. Just saying, don't shy away from ferals, great birds and most people can get them for nothing by catching them.It's been over 30yrs since I've had to go catch any birds at all. My homer's started with three pair from a local that race's. I've got about 50 out there right now but sold off 34 in the past couple weeks. You either sell them or shoot them at some point. You can't take them for a ride and turn them loose, they come back.

If the pen you have in the back yard is 4x4x8 your gonna have to shoot birds quite a bit after a while, they are very prolific!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:49 pm

Great looking little point! :) Enjoy.

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:58 pm

DonF wrote:Nice puppy! That bird on the ground a pigeon? Pretty good example of what pigeons do to dogs in the yard when they land. Thinking about it, I have both homer's and feral's. The feral's are definitely spookier out on the ground like that than the homer's. If you don't need birds that don't come back from about 50mi plus, ferals just may be the thing for you. If your using remote traps or any spring loaded trap for that matter, If you have any older traps, in hot weather those small traps can kill homer's before you can get them out, done it! The newer traps are bigger. I had a feral go into my homer loft one time. Looked in and it was painfully obvious which one it was, looked like a dwarf! Another difference is when your planting and either dizzying or tucking the head, ferals are much easier to work with. Just saying, don't shy away from ferals, great birds and most people can get them for nothing by catching them.It's been over 30yrs since I've had to go catch any birds at all. My homer's started with three pair from a local that race's. I've got about 50 out there right now but sold off 34 in the past couple weeks. You either sell them or shoot them at some point. You can't take them for a ride and turn them loose, they come back.

If the pen you have in the back yard is 4x4x8 your gonna have to shoot birds quite a bit after a while, they are very prolific!
I agree on ferals, 1/3rd of my loft is feral genetics and the other 2/3s white homers. I have gone through 2 batches of racers, they never worked out for me. My loft isn't big enough and they just didn't do well, they also were HUGE and barely fit in my launchers. My loft is 4x4 so pretty small. My ferals do better at homing than my homers I'm pretty sure, white birds are easier targets than blue ones.

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:13 am

That pup has a lot of the right ideas inside his little head ! :D

Bill T.