Anything coming up this summer?

hunterw/newhobby

Anything coming up this summer?

Post by hunterw/newhobby » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:18 am

Trying to get the wife talked into adding a birddog pup this summer. Its getting close to happening but want to wait until after our vacation in late june. Wanting to get a GSP or GWP but the limiting factor is price. $300 is probably my limit because of the cost of the training stuff I'd want to add after purchase. Just looking for a hunting partner not something that will win me a bunch of trials. Anybody know of any litters coming up in the near future that might fit the bill? I'm in Northwest Missouri and willing to travel some but nothing to far away.
Thanks
Ross

CDN_Cocker

Re: Anything coming up this summer?

Post by CDN_Cocker » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:26 am

For $300 I think you'll be quite limited. Mutts sell for more than that. Cost of the pup is only a one time pain. Save up and buy a dog that's going to hunt and be healthy.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:32 pm

Scroll down here to the "Dogs for Sale" section. You might find something to interest you there .

JONOV

Post by JONOV » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:41 am

Rescue GSP's go for $475...That's a dog that's been surrendered to the pound, pulled from an abuse case, owner died, etc...A dog that someone gave up on or mistreated.

I don't think you'll have much luck at that price point. Start a coffee can now and put every penny you can in it and don't tell your wife.

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:07 am

JONOV wrote:Rescue GSP's go for $475...That's a dog that's been surrendered to the pound, pulled from an abuse case, owner died, etc...A dog that someone gave up on or mistreated.

I don't think you'll have much luck at that price point. Start a coffee can now and put every penny you can in it and don't tell your wife.
Wow I had no idea rescues were that much. Why is that? I mean you can adopt a dog for like $45 at the local pound. I just don't know how rescues work I guess.

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:53 am

isonychia wrote:
JONOV wrote:Rescue GSP's go for $475...That's a dog that's been surrendered to the pound, pulled from an abuse case, owner died, etc...A dog that someone gave up on or mistreated.

Wow I had no idea rescues were that much. Why is that? I mean you can adopt a dog for like $45 at the local pound. I just don't know how rescues work I guess.

This is also news to me. I have to say I think Jonov is wrong..unless I am, which is, I guess, possible. The OP might contact the breed club (GWPCA or GSPCA), They'd have a link to their rescue chairman at their website. There certainly are good dogs available from them, but you'd have to be selective, of course. Especially with shorthairs, as they are far more popular,thus more non-hunting pets.

JONOV

Post by JONOV » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:20 pm

Steve007 wrote:
isonychia wrote:

This is also news to me. I have to say I think Jonov is wrong..unless I am, which is, I guess, possible. The OP might contact the breed club (GWPCA or GSPCA), They'd have a link to their rescue chairman at their website. There certainly are good dogs available from them, but you'd have to be selective, of course. Especially with shorthairs, as they are far more popular,thus more non-hunting pets.
I've fostered with the National GWP Rescue and the SE GSP Rescue.

Just last week I delivered my latest foster to his permanent family. $475 for a dog under a year, $375 for a dog over a year with the SE GSP Rescue.
The National GWP rescue is 0-2yrs, $400; 3-5 yrs, $300; 5-7 yrs, $250; 7-8 yrs, $200, 9-10 yrs, $100; Over 10 yrs-no fee but a donation is appreciated.

I submitted the expense reports for the GSP, and after the Neuter, a few vaccinations, a dose of antibiotics since he had some goofy bloodwork at intake, a de-worming since apparently the first one they gave him at the pound didn't take, two months of heartworm/flea and tick preventative. And remember, vet visits (one for the initial bloodword and vaccines, one when I found white worms in a fresh stool...) Medical expenses I submitted accounted for all but rouhgly $25 of his $375 fee. To be fair, the previous foster had minimal expenses, mostly Flea/Tick/Heartworm and a vet visit for checkup. She was spayed before the rescue got her. I know there are other dogs that come with significant health issues one way or another that require a fair amount of vet care.

People are willing to pay for a dog that's been living in a house with other people for awhile. They'll pay because I can tell them that the dog is fine around young kids or no, ok or not ok with cats, can tell them about leash manners, is potty trained, how fearful the dog is or how much he tends to bark, is or isn't apt to run away, and because a GSP is a classy looking dog.

FWIW, I took the dog from 27 to 47 lbs (3 year old dog btw,) I got him friendly and socialized to other dogs, potty trained him, and made great strides with his anxiety, to the point that I could leave him home alone without problems and weaned him off his medication.

This explains vey clearly why I have trouble supporting most rescue programs. If rescue is really the primary concern of these groups it could and would be performed much cheaper and leave the expenses and procedures they want done for the new owner. Never forget back when I tried to help I didn't qualify because I was using my kennel to keep the dog in and not the house, my yard wasn't fenced, and the biggest turn off was that I hunted. So I decided I would just help om own. I probably was able to place 10 dogs for everyone the groups placed and never had a bad result for the dog or the new owner. There were some that got turned down but there were a lot of happy dogs, kids, and new owners.

Ezzy

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:47 am

It is self-evident that you are doing good deeds by so closely involving yourself with rescue. I write checks on occasion for GWPCA rescue,but that's the extent of my involvement. On the other hand, with a wirehair of each sex, bringing a stranger in would be dangerous..to say nothing of my wife's viewpoint. I'd forgotten about cost of vet care for rescues. You obviously know -- and do -- more than I on this subject. Compliments to you.

JONOV

Post by JONOV » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:51 am

Steve007 wrote:It is self-evident that you are doing good deeds by so closely involving yourself with rescue. I write checks on occasion for GWPCA rescue,but that's the extent of my involvement. On the other hand, with a wirehair of each sex, bringing a stranger in would be dangerous..to say nothing of my wife's viewpoint. I'd forgotten about cost of vet care for rescues. You obviously know -- and do -- more than I on this subject. Compliments to you.
I hear you. It was actually my wife that led us to do it. She was beating the drum hard for a second GWP. I didn't want to deal with training two at the same time and equally importantly didn't want two geriatric dogs at once down the line since my permanent dog isn't yet 2 years old. Fostering was the compromise.

Its been...Different. I'm garbage as a trainer, but do very well at getting the dogs well socialized, which is ultimately what most people want from the rescue. And I work from home at least a few days a week and as such, am able to deal with a refresher course on crate training, potty training, leash walking.

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:37 am

It is a fallacy that you need to buy lots of training equipment after buying a pup or a dog. All you really need is a lead and a whistle, a couple of training bucks which can be home made....and game of some kind. I manage fine with only those things plus some party poppers to make "bangs" with and quite a lot of boot leather !

I bring pups up to a good standard and then add a shotgun to the mix. My dogs (GSP's and Brits) have won a few trials after being fully trained using such minimal equipment.

I think you'd be better to spend more on the pup/dog and less on the training equipment.

Bill T.

Oh, so true.