Where does your dog ride?

ejm4

Post by ejm4 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:44 am

With spring training starting up, where do most people let their dogs ride when traveling? I attended my first Navhda training last weekend and saw most were in some sort of kennel, either the fancy metal ones to the composite types.

I have a pick up without a cap on, but not sure if I should put the kennel in the back seat or strap it down in the bed of the truck?

Mike da Carpenter

Re: Where does your dog ride?

Post by Mike da Carpenter » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:17 am

Right now, he runs around in the back seat of my Silverado, whining and going from window to window putting his head out of them (5 month old GSP). This is all going to change when his new Ruff Tough kennel shows up. I have another Ruff Tough in the house for him, but it is just a PITA going from house to truck back to house, so I ordered another. He gets to enjoy the freedom for about another week.
Last edited by Mike da Carpenter on Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

reba

Post by reba » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:59 am

In my F250 Super Duty I removed the back seat a built a custom kennel that has storage on top for shotguns, etc. Dogs like a air conditioning.

JONOV

Post by JONOV » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:11 am

It depends.

Day-to-day, he rides in the car. He sits mostly in the back seat, where I have a cover. He starts out sitting up and back like a human, looking out the window, then lays down when we get up to speed. I know it isn't as safe as other options but its easier than manhandling the kennel in and out of my Prius, and I'm not sure the current one would fit anyway.

My wife takes him to work several days a week in her compact car, and they have a routine, he hops in, the front seat, she won't put the car in gear til he sits in the back like he's supposed to. She puts down the windows til she's out of the neighborhood, he sits and looks out while they're on the main road, he lies down when she gets to the entrance ramp.

Hunting trips he rides in a kennel in the back of an SUV/Truck.

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:32 am

If I am going with one dog, he goes in the back seat of my Expedition until we get there and then generally gets transferred to the Ruff Tuff crate in back. Multiple dogs may change that procedure, depending on how many and and whether I have someone else's dog along.

averageguy

Post by averageguy » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:46 am

Mine rides in a dog carrier underneath the camper shell of my PU. The Camper shell has full length contractor doors down each side with sliding glass windows and screens in the center of each door. A center sliding glass window in the front. I close them in cold temps and open them in the heat. I also have an extra deep cycle battery under the hood of my truck wired into the alternator so it is constantly charged or charging when in use. I ran wires from the battery to the back of the camper shell with a pig tail plug on the end. I mounted a Ruff/Tuff fan on the front of the dog carrier and use it when conditions require it. And finally I have an insulated cover to go over the dog carrier that can be zipped completely shut and trap the dog's body heat for extreme cold weather conditions.

PS I also have a completely wire dog carrier that I use when it is really hot and I switch the Ruff/Tuff fan to the front of it.

ejm4

Post by ejm4 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:59 pm

Anyone have experience with the metal dog boxes? I have both a Super Duty and a Tahoe and would like to set one of them up for hunting / training. I would think the metal boxes that are in back of a truck bed would be hot in the summer?

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:29 pm

2 wire crates in the back of the van

mgrucker

Post by mgrucker » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:32 am

With one dog I could fit an intermediate rough tuff kennel behind the passenger seat in a RAM 1500 quad cab. After the first year or so I just used a hammock style cover on the back seat since the passenger seat has to stay in a fairly uncomfortable position for the kennel to fit. Now that I got a second one I've ordered a cap for longer trips and will just let them sit on the bench in the cab for shorter trips.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:01 am

Airline crates in both the truck and the Trailblazer.
The back seat of the truck can take an intermediate crate and a small one, and that works when one of the dogs is at the trainer's. When both the big dogs are home, they ride in crates under the cap and the little dog rides up front. Cap has screened sliding windows.

I see lots of guys with dog boxes, solid metal crates, plastic crates lashed down in uncovered truck beds. The dogs don't seem any worse for it. I just wonder if they ever get grief from busy body do-gooders whi need to 'save' the dogs.

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:47 am

My dog rides in a crate/kennel in the back of my SUV. Keeps my vehicle a lot cleaner and most importantly, it is safer for the dog. If you are ever in an accident and your dog is riding loose in your vehicle the dog can quickly become a projectile and be seriously injured or killed.

JJWISE

Post by JJWISE » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:33 pm

I just flip up the middle seat in my truck and he rides between me and my wife, usually just lays down and goes to sleep unless he knows we’re going hunting

gspbrit

Post by gspbrit » Tue May 08, 2018 3:12 pm

I mentioned earlier that my pup jumped out of the back of a good Samaritan's pickup (he had picked the errant pup up and was returning it to us without asking me); the pup jumped out and blew his hip and had the femoral head removed-- so the last place to put a dog is loose in the pickup bed. Mine rides on a hammock that fits between the headrests, and sometimes in a carrier. I know of an accident in which a dog carrier was thrown about 40 yards, since it wasn't fastened in- the box rolled and the Lab was unhurt! I guess the only truly safe place is in one of these doggie seatbelts.

adrianastepheny

Post by adrianastepheny » Wed May 16, 2018 11:23 pm

I don't think strap it down in the bed of the truck, You can go with your first one. Thanks :) :)

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Fri May 18, 2018 6:23 am

I'm fairly confident that they will soon prove that loose riding dogs contribute to deaths or in the least, elevated levels of injuries re auto accidents. At that point, the state (insurance companies) will make it the law. They call them accidents, not plans.
Mine are in secured airline crates - the same crates I use in the home or when they fly with me. It becomes a sense of comfort/security for the dogs as well.
It's the least I can do for them.
Last edited by Featherfinder on Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

DougB

Post by DougB » Tue May 29, 2018 12:29 pm

There are several different car harnesses available that can hold the dog like a seat belt, but let it move around a bit in the back seat. My wife insisted I get a crew cab f150 because than the grandkids could ride in the back seat. I didn't argue, and as the dog gets muddy, I bought a sling style seat cover that hangs from the head rests and has openings for the seat belts to slide through. The grandkids might get into the truck someday.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Tue May 29, 2018 8:57 pm

My female Ava gets to drive when the traffic is light. She bought the truck.................Cj

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:45 am

DougB...that's hilarious. I got a truck with crew cab too....because of the grandchildren. The eldest (5) got to ride in my truck for the first time last week. Guess what? It works...booster seat and all!
I've seen auto harnesses for dogs too. My dogs ride in the truck box so.......N/A. I am trying to keep the cab "people-friendly" other than the guns, shells, collars, etc.

BuckeyeSteve

Post by BuckeyeSteve » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:09 pm

My old beagle (RIP) used to be great with a harness in the covered back seat of my truck....but this 6 month old Brittany will without question cause both of our deaths if I ever let him up front again. Even harnessed in, he was all over the place, whining, scratching, chewing on my seats and doors and anything else he could get his teeth on.....then he covered my new Ram 2500 in mud on the way home. Since then I've been strapping a wire kennel in the bed of the truck against the cab....but it's way too much wind so I cover the kennel with a blanket and strap it tight. It still has good airflow, but keeps the airborn junk from hitting him in the face and cuts back highway speed winds. I've been waiting for almost a month for my Ruff Tuff from Lion Country to get here. It finally came a few days ago and has a big dent in each side....so now I'm back to square one. I'm interested to see how Lion Country deals with it....but I'm anxious to upgrade my truck kennel.

ejm4

Post by ejm4 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:03 am

BuckeyeSteve wrote:My old beagle (RIP) used to be great with a harness in the covered back seat of my truck....but this 6 month old Brittany will without question cause both of our deaths if I ever let him up front again. Even harnessed in, he was all over the place, whining, scratching, chewing on my seats and doors and anything else he could get his teeth on.....then he covered my new Ram 2500 in mud on the way home. Since then I've been strapping a wire kennel in the bed of the truck against the cab....but it's way too much wind so I cover the kennel with a blanket and strap it tight. It still has good airflow, but keeps the airborn junk from hitting him in the face and cuts back highway speed winds. I've been waiting for almost a month for my Ruff Tuff from Lion Country to get here. It finally came a few days ago and has a big dent in each side....so now I'm back to square one. I'm interested to see how Lion Country deals with it....but I'm anxious to upgrade my truck kennel.

Hopefully they make it right. I purchased my RT from Lion Country as well. It took about 3 weeks. I assumed it was the color and door configuration I ordered and it had to come from the factory rather than one they had in stock.

BuckeyeSteve

Post by BuckeyeSteve » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:56 am

ejm4 wrote:Hopefully they make it right. I purchased my RT from Lion Country as well. It took about 3 weeks. I assumed it was the color and door configuration I ordered and it had to come from the factory rather than one they had in stock.
Lion Country did end up taking care of it.... You are correct that they sent if from the factory, not a stock item. At first Lion Country sent my email to Ruff Tough, and RT responded that they dent sometimes due to extreme heat in shipping, and said they can fix it easily at the factory. They don't consider it a defect so I could return it at my expense. I explained to LC that that doesn't work for me (in quite a bit more detail than that, including that it was May in PA and there was no high heat), and that it was LC's responsibility to deal with their vendor on this, not mine, and they did. I have a return label now and am in process of sending it back. I was pretty disappointed with the process and the effort to stick the cost on me, so I canceled the order and bought a Dakota kennel instead. I am glad that in the end (with some hard pushing from me) LC and RT ended up taking care of me on it. The kennel itself was really nice and I did like it, but the Dakota is pretty awesome too for the exact same amount of money.

Bowling's Ragnar

Post by Bowling's Ragnar » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:45 pm

G1 Large (Gunner Kennels) In back of Trailblazer EXT.
Cargo Area A/C and Heat vents aimed at crates.
Sitting on top of custom built (self built) “truck vault”
Best $1600 I have spent since getting the dogs!

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:54 pm

Mine lays on the floor on the passenger side. Just bought a new truck though a month ago and haven't worked up the courage to let him in it yet lol.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:17 am

I'm going to look a a new truck today. Ford Sport Trac with I guess it called a crew cab. My old 83 Ford I love it dearly but just not enough room with the boys. The Bronco has plenty of room but doesn't get very goos gas mileage. Started looking a couple weeks ago and does anyone know how hard t is to find a PU with 4x4 and a 6 cyl motor? They mostly have V8's. This sport trac is an 84 but I could care less, I've only ever bought one new car in my life! Room and mileage are important to me, I don't pull any heavy trailer's and planning on a trip back east next spring looking for a pup. Have a 15' travel trailer that should pull well with it. In the cab of the Bronco Squirt normally hog'd the front seat and if Stormy can get there first, he lays down next to me. Not a lot of room for him when Squirt stretch's out. I have a bad habit of allowing the dog's to much freedom in the car and upholstery take's a beating. Lot of dog hair I don't do well at getting up. Gonna try to keep the new one looking real nice for a couple weeks! I'm a dog guy! :mrgreen:

Meller

Post by Meller » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:57 pm

You might look at the ford Eco boost it is a 6cyl. crew cab has lots of room, lots of power, rated to tow 13,000 lbs., and when not towing get real good gas mileage. At least drive one before buying anything else. :D

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:15 am

Meller wrote:You might look at the ford Eco boost it is a 6cyl. crew cab has lots of room, lots of power, rated to tow 13,000 lbs., and when not towing get real good gas mileage. At least drive one before buying anything else. :D
Forget that. I just bought a brand new 5.0L. They're a 10 speed automatic transmission. The difference in fuel consumption is negligible between that and the eco boost and it doesn't sound like it's going full bore when towing. Go with a tried and true motor.

j d patrick

Post by j d patrick » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:04 am

my lab rides on the backseat (mud cover on it to keep wife happy)

my Aggie (DD) rides in a crate in the back seat, or in the crate tied down in the bed of the truck,,,,depends on whether and such

LouisianaHunter

Post by LouisianaHunter » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:48 pm

CDN_Cocker wrote:
Meller wrote:You might look at the ford Eco boost it is a 6cyl. crew cab has lots of room, lots of power, rated to tow 13,000 lbs., and when not towing get real good gas mileage. At least drive one before buying anything else. :D
Forget that. I just bought a brand new 5.0L. They're a 10 speed automatic transmission. The difference in fuel consumption is negligible between that and the eco boost and it doesn't sound like it's going full bore when towing. Go with a tried and true motor.
I’m on my 3rd ecoboost. They are great. Just finished a 800 mile trip mostly Interstate. Ran 75-80 and averaged 21.5.
It will tow my Ranger 75 no problem. It would be light going that fast with something heavier.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tailcracken pointer

Post by tailcracken pointer » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:43 pm

Never in the truck ever ever !!! i dont want to smell them, and i hate dog hair in my truck especially a new truck !!! In the trailer they go no brainer!!!

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:32 pm

I removed the rear seat bottoms in the 4-door Tacoma, along with ripping out those useless plastic bins...covered the exposed metal with carpet. Enough room+ for two intermediate rough-tuffs....one being a side-opener. This behind-the-seat area being the spot for any older dogs.

Younger lads or lasses go in two ruff-tuffs under the topper....it falls to an earned status and been-there method of ride....or, if a pup ever gets skunked. :idea:

Safety, comfort and security, first...my desires, second.

ladder63ff

Post by ladder63ff » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:20 am

Featherfinder wrote:I'm fairly confident that they will soon prove that loose riding dogs contribute to deaths or in the least, elevated levels of injuries re auto accidents. At that point, the state (insurance companies) will make it the law. They call them accidents, not plans.
Mine are in secured airline crates - the same crates I use in the home or when they fly with me. It becomes a sense of comfort/security for the dogs as well.
It's the least I can do for them.
As a Firefighter I have been on numerous MVA's in my 20 plus years and cut out people that were fine but their dogs were dead from injuries or a broken neck because they were loose in the vehicle and became a projectile on impact. We wear seat belts and would never drive with our kids unbuckled but we will leave our hunting dogs loose in our vehicles. My dogs are always in a create even if its just around the corner to the vet. Better safe then dead.

birddogger2

Post by birddogger2 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:36 am

Mine ride in the bed of the truck, in plastic crates, under a camper cap, unless I am going to a field trial. Then they ride in crates in the dressing room of the horse trailer. Both the camper cap and trailer have windows for ventilation. I bought battery operated fans some years ago but never actually used them. One time it got really hot when I was away somewhere and I bought a small bag of ice for each crate, put each in a plastic grain sack, taped them up, put one in each kennel, opened all the windows and drove home.

Most of the time it is not hot enough to cause a problem and if it is cold, multiple dogs in a buttoned up camper cap or dressing room will generate plenty of heat...sometimes too much. A blanket or doggie pillow in the crate will conserve a lot of their heat.

If I am transporting one or two dogs in the heat, which honestly does not happen all that often, I will slide a medium crate(or 2) onto the back seat of the truck(I have a PU with suicide doors) and the dog(s) ride in the cab with me and the AC.

RayG

lugmastro

Post by lugmastro » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:49 pm

I have tried about everything, from the back seat to expensive kennels. By far my favorite is my intermediate Gunner Kennel under a cap on my truck.

No wet dogs in the truck. They are securely tied down and cant slide in the bed. Dogs are safe and the inside of my truck is clean, everyone is happy.

WielandGSP

Post by WielandGSP » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:59 pm

Speaks

Post by Speaks » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:58 am

In general ride in the passenger seat unless my wife is with then the back seat. If they are real muddy I have a seat cover for the backseat and he will go there.

marc

Post by marc » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:03 pm

In the passenger seat with a seat belt harness.

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:48 pm

+1

I am having a hard time believing so many folks let their dog free in a vehicle, not safe for the dog, people in the vehicle or others on the road, not to mention the mess. I keep mine in crates small enough that they have to lay down and the crates are strapped to the floor in the back of the suv. When I was an idiot kid I watched my friend’s dog fly from the rear of his suburban in to the front window during a sudden blow out that spun the truck. Lucky it went in between us and didn’t break someone’s neck. A dog needs it’s own place when on multiple day road/hunting trips, might as well be it’s place for every trip.

“As a Firefighter I have been on numerous MVA's in my 20 plus years and cut out people that were fine but their dogs were dead from injuries or a broken neck because they were loose in the vehicle and became a projectile on impact. We wear seat belts and would never drive with our kids unbuckled but we will leave our hunting dogs loose in our vehicles. My dogs are always in a create even if its just around the corner to the vet. Better safe then dead.”
Last edited by Garrison on Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:33 am

I couldn't agree more with Garrison! I forgot to mention that while mine are secured in crates in the back of my truck, I also have a truck cap.
It also keeps everything clean and retains the value in my truck. I simply pull everything out, go the a coin/pressure washer and completely wash the truck bed/cap. Good to go!