Looking to stud out my Brittany male

littleking

Looking to stud out my Brittany male

Post by littleking » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:18 am

Looking to stud my Brittany Captain. Only looking to get a pup out of him, not looking for anyone to pay me.
He’s orange roan, great dog on pheasant and grouse. Loves to retrieve and has a fantastic personality.

Located in Columbus Ohio area. eric@sarakaitis.com as well.
31286970_10214147261289614_7376116786212634624_n.jpg
31229903_10214147271849878_2099403743979110400_n.jpg
31180185_10214147261329615_3238295467330633728_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

littleking

Re: Looking to stud out my Brittany male

Post by littleking » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:19 am

IMG_0857.jpg
IMG_0599.jpg
DSC_0007.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:00 pm

Unless you know someone local who has a nice female and likes your dog, your best bet might be to lease a female and go through all the work and expense yourself.

Maybe a hunting buddy, or someone at your gun club?

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:10 pm

Generally it's the owner of the female that looks for a stud. You may have a tough time finding someone that wants to breed to your dog just for you to get a pup. Do you hunt or train with other Brits?

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:46 am

If your dog looks great on birds and going in the field then join a dog club. Must b a Britt club near you, they are everywhere. You need to let your dog sell himself!

Timewise65

Post by Timewise65 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:59 am

Most breeders I have known look for dogs with heavy performance titles from AKC Hunt Tests or preferably Field Trials. Usually they look for these on the stud line and on Parents and Grand Parents....doesn't mean you will not find someone, but it may be difficult. Below is the pedigree on my youngest Golden Retriever...Now I am not saying that one cannot find a great dog without any performance titles, but you substantially increase your odds by breeding dogs that have proven performance with titles....

Sugar River Yukon's Golden Fox SH WCX

Parents:
Choctaw's Yukon Copper Penny MH MNR WCX **
HRCH Topbrass Foxy Roxy of Sugar River JH

Grand Parents (Stud):
Buckshot's Yukon Bontonbeau MH MNH
Choctaw's Penny Lane MH**

Grand Parents (:Bitch)
Buckshot Beau's Bauer MH
Buckshot's Bon Ton Roulez SH

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:39 am

Timewise65 wrote:Most breeders I have known look for dogs with heavy performance titles from AKC Hunt Tests or preferably Field Trials. Usually they look for these on the stud line and on Parents and Grand Parents....doesn't mean you will not find someone, but it may be difficult. Below is the pedigree on my youngest Golden Retriever...Now I am not saying that one cannot find a great dog without any performance titles, but you substantially increase your odds by breeding dogs that have proven performance with titles....

Sugar River Yukon's Golden Fox SH WCX

Parents:
Choctaw's Yukon Copper Penny MH MNR WCX **
HRCH Topbrass Foxy Roxy of Sugar River JH

Grand Parents (Stud):
Buckshot's Yukon Bontonbeau MH MNH
Choctaw's Penny Lane MH**

Grand Parents (:Bitch)
Buckshot Beau's Bauer MH
Buckshot's Bon Ton Roulez SH
Do you know about Buddy and Beeline Brittneys. Pretty much ruled NSTRA........................Cj

ncpointers

Post by ncpointers » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:22 pm

I've judged the sire to your male many times. Rusty is a heck of a dog! I am not familiar with the Dam.

I would agree with others suggestion of trying to lease a female and raise a litter yourself.

Timewise65

Post by Timewise65 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:11 am

I know you Field Trial folks have trouble with Hunt Test dogs/titles...but for a guy like me, who uses my dogs primarily for hunting companions, as opposed to competing for titles...

For me training and running hunt tests is ideal, as those dogs can hunt too!

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:48 pm

With Beeline and Nolans in his background I would do it if I had a dog. Those are superior NSTRA dogs. Titled NSTRA dogs are excellent hunting dogs. No comment on AKC tested dogs.

Carolina Gundogs

Post by Carolina Gundogs » Tue May 01, 2018 8:33 am

You may be better off to buy a well bred female pup or even a well bred, very nice, well started female (to save time) to finish out training on and to breed to your male.
Although your male may be the best wild bird dog in the country, Without being proven out in the testing or trialing (or other venue), it will most likely be difficult for you to find a good quality female to breed him to. Another important requirement to consider is the health testing that has been done on this stud. Most owners of quality females will prefer to breed them to studs that have at a minimum had their hips tested and approved through OFA or PennHip testing. It is not that expensive to have the hips xrayed and sent in for a rating.

It is good that NLB is his sire as he threw a lot of good bird dogs but unfortunately it still does not prove out the quality of this dog to female Brittany owners. My female came out of Beeline Brittanys and is a very nice dog. She is an AKC Master Hunter and has multiple AKC field trial wins as well. I have at least one to two callers each year trying to talk me into breeding my Brittany female to their studs but they are not proven out.

I wish you good luck with all!

Timewise65

Post by Timewise65 » Tue May 01, 2018 1:11 pm

'California Gundogs' said it right! Getting a good female to breed with your male will be difficult, as they always look to 'improve' the breed on every breeding! That requires proof of full health testing on the stud and performance titles. That is the only way a breeder can prove their litters have great potential. Good breeders work very hard at improving the quality of their dogs. When someone buys a breeding female from a good kennel, they expected to tell owners of the pups to include the breeders kennel name, in the registered name of the pups. This helps both the breeder and the kennel as the values on the dogs, not only in price, but also in gun dog potential goes up.....

Everyone realizes that you can still get a really good dog without going to a great pedigreed kennel. But, getting a good performance pedigree pup with health clearances on both parents you obviously increase the probability of getting a dog with great potential....

Additionally, from my experience if you purchase a well bred female, the breeders require more money for a breeding female and will either have approval rights over the stud or will make you sign an agreement to spade the bitch not allowing any breeding. My experience is primarily with Field Bred Goldens, but I am guess it is similar with other field lines.....

I know some will have "no comment", but no one knows all the right answers...so I share my experiences and thoughts regardless...

Good Luck

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Tue May 01, 2018 7:54 pm

Timewise65 wrote:'California Gundogs' said it right! Getting a good female to breed with your male will be difficult, as they always look to 'improve' the breed on every breeding! That requires proof of full health testing on the stud and performance titles. That is the only way a breeder can prove their litters have great potential. Good breeders work very hard at improving the quality of their dogs. When someone buys a breeding female from a good kennel, they expected to tell owners of the pups to include the breeders kennel name, in the registered name of the pups. This helps both the breeder and the kennel as the values on the dogs, not only in price, but also in gun dog potential goes up.....

Everyone realizes that you can still get a really good dog without going to a great pedigreed kennel. But, getting a good performance pedigree pup with health clearances on both parents you obviously increase the probability of getting a dog with great potential....

Additionally, from my experience if you purchase a well bred female, the breeders require more money for a breeding female and will either have approval rights over the stud or will make you sign an agreement to spade the bitch not allowing any breeding. My experience is primarily with Field Bred Goldens, but I am guess it is similar with other field lines.....

I know some will have "no comment", but no one knows all the right answers...so I share my experiences and thoughts regardless...

Good Luck
Carolina, not California.
It it nearly impossible to buy a breeding quality started female. They just are not for sale, unless you get lucky and get the opportunity to buy one that has had a couple litters. The cost will amaze you. A good breeding quality female has the potential to produce way up into five figures worth of puppies. she will not be cheap............ Cj

gundogguy

Post by gundogguy » Wed May 02, 2018 4:32 am

shags wrote:Unless you know someone local who has a nice female and likes your dog, your best bet might be to lease a female and go through all the work and expense yourself.

Maybe a hunting buddy, or someone at your gun club?
This is it! Been there done that instead asking to have some else go through time work and expense for you to have a pup, do it yourself. I done twice over the years with great results.
In fact our current super star FC AFC CFC Zeta is the off spring of a leased bitch. We have retired now and have no plans of breeding her, though there has been talk of leasing Zeta back to her breeder, we not interested in a project pup but will lease for cash.

Go back to your dogs breeder and see if they might be interested in using your dog. Other than that you can advertise your dog,as "Standing Stud" in various outdoor publications and see if you get any takers

dan v

Post by dan v » Wed May 02, 2018 7:45 am

Let start by saying that I'm not belittling the OP's dog in any way.

If I were the owner of a female, and looking to have a litter, I know that the very best stud is available for the cost of a plane ticket. Now you as the stud owner has to find a way to make your boy marketable, other than his pedigree. Oh, you might find somebody that is willing to breed "Ready to Handy" and secure a pup for yourself that way, but why would you want to take a pup from some random female....just because they needed a stud service?

What you are asking to do be leasing a female, and let's be right up front, you should be looking to lease a quality female. Now, let's say I happen to own one...you approach me with your proposal. What is in it for me? I need to be compensated for what could be the loss of my female's life, and that isn't going to come cheaply. But for instance, if you owned a breeding of frozen Rusty....then that would alter my thinking, but I'm still going to whelp and raise the litter.

as cjhills said....a quality female is going to set you back a bunch of money.

troublescottie

Post by troublescottie » Thu May 03, 2018 1:57 am

As a 30 year breeder, the gist of the other responses is most likely reality. Breeding is really a numbers game. Best to best and hope it works.

Almost no one with a good female will use an unproven, random stud. No one with a lessor female will use an unproven stud. Too many good males out there -- with proven records and qualifications. Not knowing much other than the pedigree, your 7 year old male has very little in the way of quality ( AKC Championship lines/field titles in his blood line ) to suggest that he has high potential. Similarly, the photos make difficult to determine his conformation. Could/might someone want to breed to your dog - there might be. My experience has been good studs are bred to nondescript bitches with the hope of breeding up. I know of no breeder that would take a good bitch to a lesser male.

Your dog might be that random outstanding dog that just come out of no where. It does happen. I know breeders that produce lots of average dogs and every once in a while, a very nice one pops up. But you would need some breeders to evaluate him - to determine his value.

At least for my breed, stud fees are significantly less than a puppy. So trading a stud fee for a puppy may not be as likely.

Whelping and raising a litter can be an expensive endeavor. Lots of things can go wrong. Lots of possible vet bills. Lots of time especially the first few weeks. Granted, some litters only cost stud fee and transportation for breeding. I have seen/had litters of one or two surviving puppies that cost thousands. Luckily, we have never lost a bitch. Generally it is cheaper to just buy another dog.

Trouble Scottie..

littleking

Post by littleking » Thu May 03, 2018 9:13 am

of which I've learned. I think the best approach is to get my own female and breed her.

I've trialed him on UFTA and he as done well, I guess I was hoping to find someone within a neighboring state or so that I could get together with and evaluate the dog.

I have full medical clearance from his health prospective. I guess I may be barking up the wrong tree.

JONOV

Post by JONOV » Fri May 04, 2018 1:00 pm

littleking wrote:of which I've learned. I think the best approach is to get my own female and breed her.

I've trialed him on UFTA and he as done well, I guess I was hoping to find someone within a neighboring state or so that I could get together with and evaluate the dog.

I have full medical clearance from his health prospective. I guess I may be barking up the wrong tree.
Have you thought about casting a net in those circles?

I mean, when you say, "I wanna breed my dog" and little else people assume that your evaluation of the dog's qualifications are completely subjective, "My dogs the best and I want to breed him." Everyone thinks the world of their dog, how could you not? Its like walking into the Notre Dame admissions office and saying, "My kid loves ND and he's great! Admit him!" Maybe go to a Brittany trial or a Brittany facebook page or something? And start with your dog's qualifications...it sounds like you're working with something...