Norwegian Elkhound

TurkeyDog

Norwegian Elkhound

Post by TurkeyDog » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:33 am

My buddy bought a Norwegian Elkhound. He is intending to try to use to blood trail deer. Is anyone familiar with this breed? Any insights about it's scenting ability?

reba

Re: Norwegian Elkhound

Post by reba » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:06 am

The Norwegian Elkhound is one of the ancient Northern Spitz-type breed of dog and is the National Dog of Norway. The Elkhound has served as a hunter, guardian, herder, and defender. It is known for its courage in tracking and hunting moose (or elk) and other large game, such as bears or wolves.

My ACD learned to be the first to find game, because she liked sharing in on the gut pile :D Then she would get in the truck and puke. She always had that bit of wild dog in her.

averageguy

Post by averageguy » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:29 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKdTVlLFnNc

A friend in grade school had two of them but did not hunt with them. Cool looking dogs, acted like junk yard dogs in their fenced in back yard when you walked up to the fence, but were fine with us kids when we played in the yard provided my friend was present.

They are commonly used in Finland to search for, drive and bay moose to the gun so they have a working level of nose for that work. If a guy is blood tracking for his own needs and close friends it is more easy to control the timing of when the dog is put on the track. I have used GWPs for over 30 years when needed and they could run down tracks which were 15 hours old. 15 hours has been our most common track age as that allows sufficient time for a gut shot deer to bed and die overnight and take up the track at dawn. I expect a hunting line of this breed could likely do the same.

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:30 pm

reba wrote:The Norwegian Elkhound is one of the ancient Northern Spitz-type breed of dog and is the National Dog of Norway. The Elkhound has served as a hunter, guardian, herder, and defender.
Anybody in Norge use 'em these days to bark capercaillies out of trees?

MG

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:50 pm

crackerd wrote:
reba wrote:The Norwegian Elkhound is one of the ancient Northern Spitz-type breed of dog and is the National Dog of Norway. The Elkhound has served as a hunter, guardian, herder, and defender.
Anybody in Norge use 'em these days to bark capercaillies out of trees?
If the far-distant past, I considered getting one. They appear to be definite big-time barkers. To say nothing of the shedding, as you may imagine.