Unattained Papers/breeding

Feathers'n'Furr

Unattained Papers/breeding

Post by Feathers'n'Furr » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:54 am

Has anyone ever lost the ability to get papers for a dog and still entertained the idea of breeding said dog? I would love to breed my female GSP down the road but the breeder I got her from died shortly after I got her as a pup and I never got her papers. After a year of back and forth with AKC, finding the litter(he registered it before passing) and finally tracking down the co-owner of the litter, turns out the co-owner on paper knew of the breeder but never actually met him or had a litter with him. Leaving me to wonder if the breeder made some type of clerical error or if he forged the papers to get them registered. So as I said would love to breed my GSP, but I have no papers for her and even if I did have the papers for her the legitimacy of the papers is questionable, which makes me feel like it would be irresponsible to do so. I guess there's no real question here, just looking to see if anyone has ever found themselves in a similar predicament?

isonychia

Re: Unattained Papers/breeding

Post by isonychia » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:14 am

This is my opinion, and I have to say, take it with a grain of salt. I do not know the ins and outs of the AKC, I do not know how difficult it might be for purchasers to do any trialing with these dogs, I do NOT breed and simply don't know a lot of what I am talking about.

Considering the history of our dogs here in the US, especially with lots of rumor (likely true), about English Pointers being breed into the American Brittany lines, etc... I think that you will hear a lot of different things. Some breeds new to the US aren't even recognized by the AKC. I think the important thing is to make sure you are breeding a good GSP, with good hip checks and overall health. Also, consider your ability to sell the pups without papers, maybe line some buyers up first or be ready to keep all of the ones that don't sell. Your asking price would suffer as well.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:16 pm

If the co owner has puppies from the same litter or knows somebody who does they should be able to prove parents with DNA testing. Might not be worth the hassle or expense and it might be better to do health testing first. Either way it could all be a waste of money and time........Cj
Last edited by cjhills on Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:25 pm

F & F, you've done your best to get papers on her,but I think you're just out of luck. If getting performance titles appeals to you (Hunt Test or obedience) , you can get a Purebred Alternative Listing (PAL) from the AKC and compete,but progeny will still not be registerable.

Just enjoy your dog and forget about breeding her. There will be another dog some time in the future if you're still determined to have pups. You'll know more by then, anyway. Most people breed too soon in their learning curve. This isn't necessarily bad.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:48 pm

Is there any chance that your dog's litter was registered with FDSB? If so, maybe you can go in through the back door and register there first, then register with AKC.