Chain Gang Material

isonychia

Chain Gang Material

Post by isonychia » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:59 pm

I priced some chain at my local hardware store, which led me to the decision of buying a chain gang from LCS. They used the double loop chain which I didn't know. (Like the chain here https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-3- ... /203958780). I'm a little concerned that the rough edges will wear a pup raw, should I switch the chain out with a closed loop style or will this be OK? Other than that, for the money you just about cant even get stakes so this is a great buy.

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: Chain Gang Material

Post by shags » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:44 pm

I hate that kind of chain. It twists, it knots, and those little barb-looking ends catch dog's hair and mud and crud. It has the ability to sort of wrap around dog parts and not slide off - injury in the making.

We use the single link welded type (sorry, can't remember the link size but it's suitable for my dogs, not overly heavy but not flimsy). If you're making a chain gang, you need something sturdy enough to stand up to several dogs bouncing around pulling it. I used the next size down for the drops, and used those quick link things to connect them to the main chain.

My chain gang is 25 years old and it's never been broken, doesn't tangle, and my dogs haven't got twisted up in the drops. The whole thing was not as cheap as that stuff you're looking at, but it was far far from expensive - worth every nickle.

I use ready-made stakes outs for my anchor ends. So there is the option of chain gang or stake outs depending on the situation. Quick links attach welded rings to the chain gang ends, for the stakes to go into.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Tue May 01, 2018 7:56 am

I had some of that, not heavy enough. Found some in bulk that was about twice as heavy Andit worked fine. Right now I'm using next size down from 3/8th, think it's 3/8ths. Chain and droppers made out of the same stuff. M best tieout's are eye bolt's in the fender's, one on each corner.

birddogger2

Post by birddogger2 » Tue May 01, 2018 11:24 am

I made my 3 and 4 dog chain gangs out of 2/0 passing link welded chain. I used the same stuff for the drops. I attached the drops to the chain via medium duty "S" hooks with a plated steel swivel in between to prevent kinking. I have a 2" plated steel round ring on each end via Heavy Duty "S" hooks. The good swivels were the most expensive part of the setup, as I recall.

2/0 passing link has a working load limit of around 400# which means it has a breaking strength of at least twice that. I clip each drop back to the plated swivel as I take up the chain. This also minimizes tangles. I put the chain in a plastic bucket as I take it up, and it does not tangle. This has worked fine for quite a while.

If you are doing a real long chain gang, you might want to go to 4/0 passing link chain for the run.

RayG