Have you ever seen a sleeping dog point?

gspbrit

Have you ever seen a sleeping dog point?

Post by gspbrit » Thu May 03, 2018 10:50 am

AKC recently sent a newsletter. It had an article that said pointing dogs point in their sleep (according to researchers), and flushing dogs "exhibit flushing behavior" (according to researchers). I can't say that I've seen any of the 5 pointing dogs, that lived inside and I owned, ever point in their sleep-- but that's a small sample size. All of them seem to chase, though! Has anyone ever seen a dog point in its sleep?

Steve007

Re: Have you ever seen a sleeping dog point?

Post by Steve007 » Thu May 03, 2018 12:15 pm

What is " "exhibiting flushing behavior" when a dog is asleep? Do they quarter? How much did the "researcher" get paid for this? Was this a Federal grant? The AKC is pretty ignorant to send this foolishness out. But what do they know? Between their going on TV to agitate against ecollars and the recent dumbing down of obedience, I no longer try to defend them when my bird dog friends start runnng them down.

gspbrit

Post by gspbrit » Thu May 03, 2018 1:25 pm

Hmm. :roll: Maybe a new thread is in order to discuss the use of e-collars on dogs that don't quarter or chase in their sleep?

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun May 06, 2018 2:10 pm

gspbrit wrote:AKC recently sent a newsletter. It had an article that said pointing dogs point in their sleep (according to researchers), and flushing dogs "exhibit flushing behavior" (according to researchers). I can't say that I've seen any of the 5 pointing dogs, that lived inside and I owned, ever point in their sleep-- but that's a small sample size. All of them seem to chase, though! Has anyone ever seen a dog point in its sleep?
Well that's interesting. Must say I have never seen such a thing . :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Mon May 07, 2018 3:44 am

I have never seen a dog point during it's sleep. I doubt if dogs ever do that. I see what looks like they are chasing, often the running motions are accompanied by little "yips" which I think are excitement yips although I suppose the dog could be running in fear of something and the "yips" are fear yips ?

How the researcher came to the conclusion that he has seen dogs flush game in their sleep I do not know ? I have never seen any dog do that not even my spaniels.

I think this is flawed and non-proven research.

Bill T.

mgrucker

Post by mgrucker » Mon May 07, 2018 4:37 am

My dogs do word things in their sleep but I wouldn't say any of it is pointing behavior.

Kind of off the topic but I often wonder what exactly dogs dream about. Think of all the crazy stuff you've dreamt about. Can a dog imagine things and dream of stuff it hasn't actually seen? How do they know it wasn't real when they wake up? Maybe somewhere in between and he's getting chased by a 20ft tall pheasant? :lol:

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Mon May 07, 2018 8:27 am

mgrucker wrote:Can a dog imagine things and dream of stuff it hasn't actually seen? How do they know it wasn't real when they wake up? Maybe somewhere in between and he's getting chased by a 20ft tall pheasant? :lol:
I've got two wirehairs. I won't claim they could beat a 20 ft tall pheasant, but they wouldn't run. And I hope I'd have my unplugged Ithaca 37 with me, that being my highest capacity shotgun and it slamfires, too. What size shot do you recommend for 20ft pheasants? And can I get it in 16g?

reba

Post by reba » Mon May 07, 2018 8:53 am

Some "experts" says dogs don't dream. To that I say BS :D

Jeanpaul

Post by Jeanpaul » Thu May 17, 2018 6:31 pm

gspbrit wrote:Hmm. :roll: Maybe a new thread is in order to discuss the use of e-collars on dogs that don't quarter or chase in their sleep?
A dog training collar is the most common tool used when training dogs. Inexpensive, safe, and effective, this clever device is able to give guidance to what behaviors are right and wrong.. :)